Bills will host Leighton Vander Esch on pre-draft visit

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-boise-state

Leighton Vander Esch stood on his combine numbers but looked tremendous in position drills. He was fluid and explosive and once again showed no stiffness moving around the field.  For Vander Esch, today’s position drills were the perfect complement to his knockout testing at the combine.

He’ll be a busy man the next week, as Vander Esch boarded a plane for Texas after the workout and is making an official visit to see the Dallas Cowboys tomorrow. The Arizona Cardinals, Pittsburgh Steelers, Tennessee Titans, Detroit Lions and Buffalo Bills round out the linebacker's official visits over the next week.

48 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

3 minutes ago, billspro said:

This guy can fill the Kuechly role in our D. 

I have heard he has those abilities.  Fluid hips and sideline to sideline ability.

He sounds like one of the top two options for MLB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

Absolutely love this kid, wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him go well before the 20s roll around.

I'd pick him at 12, and see which QB falls when we get to pick 22, if all 6 are taken before then, then fill another hole and look at the 2nd tier of QB's in round 2.

If we don't get a QB in this draft because we don't waste picks to trade up, I'm ok as I believe AJ will play very well and be a 62% completion guy with about 3600 yards and 24 TD's and 10 Int's.

If AJ plays to that level we win 11 games, if he plays poorly, then we've built the team well enough to do a Rams like turn-around in 2019 with our new QB and free agent additions

I'm not quite as high on him as most.  Good player, still not sure which linebacker position is his best fit at the NFL level.  He is probably a strong side player.... I do worry a bit about his instinct though when playing inside in traffic.  Seems to hit the wrong gap and take the wrong angle too often - his athletic ability allowed him to recover in college and indeed some of his splash plays on tape are exactly that.... not sure he gets away with it in the NFL to the same extent.  

I have a high 2nd on him though I expect him to go in the 1st..... I only have 19 true 1st round grades.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not quite as high on him as most.  Good player, still not sure which linebacker position is his best fit at the NFL level.  He is probably a strong side player.... I do worry a bit about his instinct though when playing inside in traffic.  Seems to hit the wrong gap and take the wrong angle too often - his athletic ability allowed him to recover in college and indeed some of his splash plays on tape are exactly that.... not sure he gets away with it in the NFL to the same extent.  

I have a high 2nd on him though I expect him to go in the 1st..... I only have 19 true 1st round grades.  

Care to share your 19?

On 4/4/2018 at 4:45 AM, GunnerBill said:

I actually agree.  I love his athleticism and his frame for the position.  And he does make a lot of wow plays on tape.  But if you watch with a keen eye you will see he does not do a good job with trash/traffic AND he needs to learn how to use his hands to deal with blockers.  Two games stand out UVA and Wyoming actually.  He can be a bit over aggressive at times.  I like certain aspects of his game a hell of a lot, and then there are some things that cause me to balk.  The things that cause me to balk are actually things that could wind up making me a frustrated fan as I would like to see him play but can't because he's sidelined with an injury due to certain habits he has.  Going back to hand usage for example.  He likes to throw his shoulder at people.  This won't have him playing very long if he doesn't stop it.  Boise blitzed him quite a bit to keep him clean and honestly he's a terror when he's clean.  His ability to get sideline to sideline and cover backs in pass defense is exceptional.  I just worry about his habit of shoulder throwing and not doing good with traffic.  He's young at the position and has lots of room for growth but that shoulder throwing habit his to die immediately or he won't be around for long.

I played linebacker in HS actually and shoulder throwing was a big no no.  I learned it after I pinched a nerve.  It's not pretty.  Not sure why he does it.

9 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if Edmonds goes top 10, Vander Esch top 15 and Roquan goes around 20... give or take a couple picks (18-23)...

Yes Vander Esch goes before Roquan.

Roquan Smith is a much more polished product at this point.  Smith does a much better job with his hands and working through traffic.  As an off the ball linebacker you're not required to blitz Smith to make him effective.  Leighton's tape shows he's much more effective when he's on the move and Boise did a lot of that with him.  When they didn't there's some bad stuff that needs to get cleaned up IMMEDIATELY.

In any case, I won't cry foul if we were to draft Vander Esch.