There will be star quarterbacks outside The Four

There are many great quarterbacks who didn't slip, but were underrated.  OK.  Aaron Rodgers slipped from #1 to #24 to the Packers.  But Brees was a 2nd rounder.  Wilson a 3rd.  Cousins a 4th.  Montana 3rd.  Brady 6th.  Warner undrafted.  Bart Starr was taken in the 17th round.  

If the Bills are truly sold on a certain quarterback, they will get him somehow.  I don't see them overpaying for that.  

If they have doubts about the The Four, I am hoping they keep the picks and build the team.   We need targets for the QB.  Blockers.  Defense.  

I just watched highlights of Mason Rudolph.  I like him.  I like Lamar.  I like Lauletta.  

I think they know who they want, and they are messing with the media.   

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I constantly think this too. I think watch, everyone is gonna get caught up in these 4 guys and a guy like Lauletta or Mike White are gonna end up being the best Quarterback's from this class. Would I bet on it? No, but it has definitely crossed my mind that someone else besides the 6 guys constantly mentioned will end up being the best one. 

• Like (+1) 1

Undoubtedly the Bills know who they want.  Most seem to believe it has to be one of the top names.  I'm not so sure because, as noted above, they have too many needs that won't get fulfilled if they give up the store to move further up.  For instance, not fixing the offensive line may get whatever quarterback they might play, including one of those top names they've paid dearly for, severely injured.  And if two of the guys they really like are available following the first round, I'd consider taking them.

• Like (+1) 1

Sadly this does not matter to the Bills. One of the lower round QBs will have to sit a few years behind a franchise QB to become good. It never works for the Bills with a later round QB because we have no franchise QB for him to sit behind. That luxury is for a team that has a proven franchise starter not a backup starter from some other team like the Bills always use..

Edited by xRUSHx

I can see Mike White being a just under the Dalton Line starter. Maybe a 3-4 season guy until whatever team has him upgrades. Of the "Top 6" ranked by journalist minds...I think 4 will flame out to be at best slightly below average. 1 will be good with not much team success. Kinda like Matt Stafford.  And one will be a clear top of the NFL caliber QB.

No clue who does which. April 26th...Russian Roulette.

24 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

There might be 1 guy that starts in the league. Who is that going to be? Much harder to decipher vs the guys everyone knows is good

Yep.

There will also be stars within the top 4 .

This thread is dumb.

22 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Who are the top 4?

If Allen is in the top 4, then I agree there will be a good QB outside of the top 4.  His name is Lamar Jackson.

I don't think Allen belongs in the top 4.  Or the top 5... because I'd prefer Rudolph over Allen, too.

Jackson is as dumb as a bag of rocks and is a one read then run QB. We just had 3 years of that with Tyrod. Jackson's lower half of his body is skrony(huge injury risk in the NFL), I hope the Bills stay far away from him, IMO he is not a option and I do not think they will take him even at 12.  I am not a Tyrod fan but I would take Tyrod over Jackson.

I agree Allen should not be in the top 4 but with him being a big guy with a big arm and did good on his WL score I can see why some teams put him higher. IMO he is a early 2nd rounder and I would take Rudolph before him if I had the choice. 

There are great QBs not taken in the top 10 picks, and there are QBs who perform better than others selected in front of them.  But I'm not aware of any time recently where the 5th best QB to come out of a draft was any good.  So which are the top 3 or 4 and when the top 3 or 4 will be picked, and if anybody will make a mistake and pick a bad QB ahead of a good one is all up to debate.

But I don't see any way that 5 good QBs come out of this draft, and I have some pretty big doubts that 4 will.

Aaron Rodgers was the 2nd QB picked, and with all due respect to Jason Campbell and Charlie Frye, there were two useful QBs in that draft.

There were two good QBs in the Brees draft.

Manning, Rivers, Ben were quite a top three, but there wasn't a fourth in that draft.

The Brady draft had Pennington, Marc Bulger, and Brady and no fourth QB.  The error was evaluating and picking the top QB, not the reality that the fifth or sixth best QB was any good.

Luck, RGIII, Tennehill, Cousins, Foles were all in the same draft so that is close.

So it is fine to like Allen or Rudolph or Jackson MORE than Rosen or Mayfield or Darnold, but out of those six you have to try to order them so you don't accidentally pick one of the two or three that will be forgotten about in a few years.

My thoughts on the six are (not as QB expert, but putting down things), that Darnold is overrated and will take some time (a year behind Tyrod), but will be pretty good.  Rosen will rub a lot of people the wrong way and be easy to root against, but will make a Pro Bowl.  Mayfield will be more Wilson/Brees than Manziel/Sanchez, and could be the best in the draft.  Jackson and Rudolph will be irrelevant backups.

Allen is the hardest for me to read, and likely the hardest for the NFL evaluators.  He has such a high ceiling with his talent, but also a low floor.  I hate the low completion percentage, but playing at Wyoming there is more of a reason to give some credence as to the supporting cast and not his ability to throw the ball where it should be.  But I need to be impressed with the projections of the two most important qualities of an NFL QB before I would be interested, accuracy and decision making, and I haven't been convinced yet on either (but also not seen strong reasons he will come up short).  I just don't see the examples of college QBs posting back to back 56% completion percentages and then being successful in the NFL.  So right now I would pass on Allen, but am very aware that if smart guys really see him becoming an accurate passer and a good decision maker, he could be amazing.  I just want to stop hearing about athleticism and arm strength like they remotely matter without the other two things.

I'd be incredibly disappointed if he's the only QB that Buffalo drafts, but I'm still kinda intrigued by Chase Litton as a late round flier. His accuracy makes Josh Allen look like Drew Brees, but you don't find many guys in college with the combination of physical tools and ability to make adjustments at the LOS that he does.

2 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Jackson is as dumb as a bag of rocks and is a one read then run QB. We just had 3 years of that with Tyrod. Jackson's lower half of his body is skrony(huge injury risk in the NFL), I hope the Bills stay far away from him, IMO he is not a option and I do not think they will take him even at 12.  I am not a Tyrod fan but I would take Tyrod over Jackson.

I agree Allen should not be in the top 4 but with him being a big guy with a big arm and did good on his WL score I can see why some teams put him higher. IMO he is a early 2nd rounder and I would take Rudolph before him if I had the choice. 

Tyrod over Jackson???

Oh boy... the QB order I want is Mayfield THEN Darnold THEN Rosen (though skeptically) THEN Jackson.  If we get one of those first 3, I think this board will generally be very peaceful for awhile.  I want any of those 3 guys before Jackson, ESPECIALLY Mayfield.  But I'll be happy with Jackson.

Unfortunately, if we draft Jackson, apparently all hell is going to break loose and this board is going to divide in half again.

I get it, a 13 on the wonderlic means he's dumb as rocks. It's that simple for some folks.

Have you looked at that test? Have you taken it?

Here, take it  https://footballiqscore.com/

I can understand the reasoning for measuring a QB's cognitive ability as far as processing football plays in a timely manner.  What I cannot understand are how 50 question that have to do with analogies, puzzles and mathematical equations in 12 minutes equates to football success.

I just looked at the test, hit start and tried it for the first time at work 'cause I had a free 12 minutes.  I got a 22.  I also got an 1130 on my SATs. 

Whatever those numbers are or how people view those numbers, I don't view those numbers as measurements of my intelligence because, frankly, I'm a bad test taker.  (Or I view myself as one as, at the very least, I'm self-aware enough to realize that just comes off as an excuse). But as far as "bad test-takers," some people are.  I also suck at math and am at least 15 years removed from doing any real math at this point in my life.  I'm sure I could score higher than that 22 if I separated myself from all the distractions at work and really focused rather than just deciding to throw 12 minutes at 50 questions for fun.  But I already took that test and now I'm tied to that 22 because maybe I didn't take it as seriously as I should have or maybe I didn't understand the appropriate test taking strategy for this test was to just skip any question I get caught on so I can answer as many correctly as possible.

All tests are different.

I understand that Lamar Jackson doesn't talk the way we think of "face-of-the-franchise QBs" talk. He's not articulate or outspoken the way we think a QB should be.  But that doesn't mean he's not smart in his own way or smart enough to play QB.  And it certainly doesn't mean his teammates wouldn't follow him as a leader.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2662128-the-education-of-lamar-jackson-how-louisville-qb-went-from-project-to-superstar

The Education of Lamar Jackson: How Louisville QB Went from Project to Superstar

He picked Louisville, knowing coach Bobby Petrino's history of developing QBs. Then Petrino delivered the playbook.

"It looked like foreign letters," Jackson remembers. "I came from a high school where I didn't have a playbook or anything like that. Coach would draw it up and get the headset on, and we'd go after it."

and

And so when Jackson arrived on campus, he was not even named among the three guys who might be the starting quarterback. The playbook was still Greek to him, as were progressions, tight ends in motion and blitzes. Darn blitzes.

That was a year ago. A few days ago, he threw for six touchdowns and ran for two more.

and

"At first, I was like, 'Why are they trying to make me do this?'" Jackson says. "'I'm trying to sleep.' It was crazy. I'd watch my bad plays—my good plays, too."

The truth is, at first he wasn't even sure exactly what he was watching. Then it started making sense, and he realized he enjoyed it. "When I started getting more into it, I realized, 'This is what I'm here for.'"

and

Petrino says some of the things usually considered "natural intangibles" need to be worked on, too. For example, last year, Jackson was petrified to talk with the media. So he took a media class and also enlisted the help of a local reporter.

• Like (+1) 1