Baker Mayfield

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, but it’s like rain on your wedding day.

Haha, I see potential for both a negative AND positive argument. Prior to that point, he blasted each logo with precision, no missteps. What was it about seeing the Bills logo that made him hiccup? Not only once, but TWICE? The Bills gotta be on his mind...

On 4/1/2018 at 3:07 PM, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Thank you for responding in such an intelligent manner.  I think we hired Daboll precisely to make us current with the RPO.  I think Shady would be fantastic in an RPO offense.  But who will run it?  Everyone seems to love McCarron, so I do too...? :unsure:

These days, you draft a guy in the first, you don't let him sit. Maybe a couple games, maybe a half, but there have not been successful guys in the last 8-10 years who sat. 

9 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

These days, you draft a guy in the first, you don't let him sit. Maybe a couple games, maybe a half, but there have not been successful guys in the last 8-10 years who sat. 

Kansas City disagrees.  I guess it always depends on the situation. 

2 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Mahomes is good? Still don't know yet. He would be the first to buck the trend. 

I didn’t say he was good, just that he sat. Time will tell how good he is. I agree that it’s fairly rare that a team has the luxury to sit an early QB pick.  

9 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Listen, if Mayfield is drafted by the Bills, of course I will be all in and support him the way I would hope any fan would. That said, I'm hoping it's not Mayfield. I'm just not convinced he'll be able to translate his college game to the NFL. If the Bills were to go balls out and go up to #2, I'm hoping it's for Rosen. If Mayfield is till there at 7 and Rosen is gone (which of course he will be) that's fine....it is what it is....you can't make NFL teams want to trade with you and you can't force guys to slip down draft boards. But to me it's only Rosen who is worth the full asking price to go up to #2. Otherwise, I'd prefer they stay at 12, take Jackson or only trade next year's 3rd or something to go from 12 to 9 for Mayfield (to get ahead of the Dolphins who reportedly love the guy). 

That is my plan as well. I think Rosen and Darnold are elite QB prospects and I would be willing to trade up to 2 for either of them. If we can't make the jump then I would be happy trading into the top ten for Mayfield. 

Mayfield has phenomenal accuracy but is going to have to work on his processing speed at the next level. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

i could throw the whole arron rodgers thing, and so I will.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Ok, we come to an accordance: do you think McCarron is that?  if you don't then...

I do.  That's his role if and when they acquire a potential franchise QB.  Bridge who transitions into the backup. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

I do.  That's his role if and when they acquire a potential franchise QB.  Bridge who transitions into the backup. 

Okay.  We agree here.  I have faith in McCarron.  Why?  Witchcraft basically lol.  In my humble opinion, we have so many holes, I will not be unhappy if we stand pat and just draft studs.  On the other hand, I am a Rosen Fanboy, so... if we trade up, GREAT!

But to be clear: I would stay pat, except for a reasonable price for Rosen.

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

At a minimum that calls for a serviceable Bridge QB to start in a TBD interim while said prospect develops. 

Out of date terminology. 
The Jets, Cards, Vikings, Eagles, Browns, Broncos and Bills will be starting a backup QB. Many of them have been signed to multi-year contracts. For many of them their last start was for a playoff team.

14 hours ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

i could throw the whole arron rodgers thing, and so I will.

He was drafted in 05. That's over a decade ago. It hasn't happened successfully forever. The only guy recently who is yet to be determined is Mahomes, who I think will be good fwiw. 

His visit with Cleveland is done and quite possibly he is on his way to Buffalo next.

Baker Mayfield schedule:

April 2-3: Cleveland

April 4-7: ??

April 8-9: Giants

April 9-10: Jets

They announced he was visiting Buffalo,  Miami, and Denver as well so I'm assuming we are next given our close proximity to Cleveland.

Edited by kdiggz

On 4/2/2018 at 6:19 PM, Elite Poster said:

Mahomes is good? Still don't know yet. He would be the first to buck the trend. 

....huh?....if he was in Bflo, he'd already be tagged as a bust with his extensive PT in KC....that time would be termed a "career" by the infamous "TBD One & Done Gang"......adios...

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....huh?....if he was in Bflo, he'd already be tagged as a bust with his extensive PT in KC....that time would be termed a "career" by the infamous "TBD One & Done Gang"......adios...

Not sure what you are trying to say here but I'll just add: Nathan Peterman is pure garbage. 

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I'd feel much better about Baker if he was bringing Lincoln Riley with him.

Watch some of the second half and overtime play calling in the bowl game vs Georgia and tell me if you still feel that way.

4 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Watch some of the second half and overtime play calling in the bowl game vs Georgia and tell me if you still feel that way.

They lost so it’s easy to second guess, but Mayfield was struggling with UGA’s man coverage in the 2nd half and Riley didn’t think throwing the ball was wise. 

4 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

The Georgia game was confounding.   They used those quick passes to the running backs all year with a lot of success.   Then all the sudden in the 2nd half of that game it seemed like they were desperate to hit the deep ball.   They did nothing to make the defense stay honest and it was just an all out assault.  It was like watching a totally different Sooners team.  

what absolutely fascinates me is how Baker just randomly showed up at OU without even telling anyone, didn't expect or demand anything, they already had a highly touted QB who had just beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl in Trevor Knight, and he just took the job from him.  you would expect Baker and Trevor to be rivals then.  NOPE, they are best friends and Trevor has come to his defense numerous occassions when people talk bad about Baker in the press.  what a story.  and this all happened after he had already walked on and started day 1 at Texas Tech as a 18 yr old.  i don't think anyone has ever walked on and started day 1 at a major program before in history.  you have to imagine the bias these coaches have going in.  they have "their guy" that they spent all of that time recruiting and then have a 18 yr old show up out of nowhere and take the job?  holy crap

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The Georgia game was confounding.   They used those quick passes to the running backs all year with a lot of success.   Then all the sudden in the 2nd half of that game it seemed like they were desperate to hit the deep ball.   They did nothing to make the defense stay honest and it was just an all out assault.  It was like watching a totally different Sooners team.  

He threw deep 4 times in the 1st half and 3 times in the 2nd half. The problem was UGA turned up the heat in the pocket, didn’t allow him to scramble, and covered CeeDee Lamb like a blanket. Baker couldn’t target him like he did the 1st half. He made one great catch in the 2nd but was well covered. The difference was all UGA’s defense in why the passing game didn’t get going at the end. They didn’t really change what they were doing schematically but they just executed better late in the game. The D made a lot of mistakes in the 1st half that OU was able to capitalize on.

Edited by YoloinOhio

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He threw deep 4 times in the 1st half and 3 times in the 2nd half. The problem was UGA turned up the heat in the pocket, didn’t allow him to scramble, and covered CeeDee Lamb like a blanket. Baker couldn’t target him like he did the 1st half. He made one great catch in the 2nd but was well covered. The difference was all UGA’s defense in why the passing game didn’t get going at the end. They didn’t really change what they were doing schematically but they just executed better late in the game. The D made a lot of mistakes in the 1st half that OU was able to capitalize on.

Makes sense.   I was just watching the "all the throws" footage of it a couple weeks ago and they looked completely stifled.   I got the sense they were looking to go deep more often based on an inability to get the ball out quick. 

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Makes sense.   I was just watching the "all the throws" footage of it a couple weeks ago and they looked completely stifled.   I got the sense they were looking to go deep more often based on an inability to get the ball out quick. 

Yeah and he still put up 48 on a great defense and would have probably won the National championship with a decent defense of his own. Imo. He will light up any defense that isn’t lock down and even then, he gets his.

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah and he still put up 48 on a great defense and would have probably won the National championship with a decent defense of his own. Imo. He will light up any defense that isn’t lock down and even then, he gets his.

I totally agree.   It's one of those games where you feel a bit bad for the guy.   If he drifted even the slightest bit left, or up into the pocket he was stepping into a sack.  

Looking back at last year I find it funny when people try to use the excuse he played against soft defenses.  Georgia was by far the best but look what he did against TCU and Ohio State which were both highly, top 15 if memory serves correct.  There are two throws from that TCU game which are just mind boggling.   Back of the end zone to a tight end blanketed by a defender.   Just beautiful throws.

I was listening to the Colin Cowherd show this morning and he had Joe Banner on and I thought he had an interesting take.

First of all, back in 2014 he was with the Cleveland Browns during the draft process, but left the team before the NFL draft.  Banner specifically said he was shocked when the Browns ended up drafting Manziel because during the draft process, which he was a big part of, they saw ALL the red flags having to do with Johnny Football, refuting Manziel's comments on the DP show yesterday, but apparently the owner just stepped in and made the call.

BUT THEN ALSO

When asked how he would rank the QBs in the draft class this year, he specifically brought up the 2 character traits for a QB he deemed most important: Accuracy & Smarts.

And he brought up Baker Mayfield and Baker Mayfield alone. 

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, BillsFan17 said:

As much as I have wanted Rosen since we traded up to 12th, the more I look into Baker (whom I was perfectly okay with before hand) the more I get the sense the kid could be the second QB off the board.

I'm worried he might be the 1st.

1) Mayfield to the Browns

2) Darnold to the Giants

3) Rosen to the Jets

That's my nightmare scenario.

If that happens, I really really really really hope we don't make the mistake of trading up for Josh Allen and if we have the choice at 12 between Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson, I really really really hope we take Jackson.

• Like (+1) 1