We need another pass catching TE

Frez

On 3/31/2018 at 3:43 PM, Captain Murica said:

Clay has played 41 out of a possible 48 games with the Bills. He might have bad knees, but let's not act like he is Tyler Eifert. 

I agree though another pass catching TE would be ideal it's not a dire need. Let's see how they do with a QB that will throw it more.

in this day and age Clay isn't a true "pass catching TE" as we think of it

he's a checkdown panic option for cheap yards, not a terror 10 yards down the field

• Like (+1) 1

Strange how Clay could have a great game, then totally disappear. As much as he costs, and as much as he’s injured.....that contract needs a closer look. What would it cost to move on if he won’t restructure? 

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

in this day and age Clay isn't a true "pass catching TE" as we think of it

he's a checkdown panic option for cheap yards, not a terror 10 yards down the field

I don’t think I can agree with that. I mean at the :42 mark it seems he was being targeted over ten yards with two really good catches and makes people miss in the open field. 

With a QB that will throw to him he’ll be way better than he was. 

I wouldn't put tight end as a primary need. QB, WR, LB RT,  and RG are the urgent needs this team faces in that order I would put Tight End up there but because Clay is still good when healthy and O'Leary is a capable backup (And Logan Thomas a decent 3rd string player) I don't think they have to address TE at the moment. 

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Is there any particular reason we should not just use O'Leary more.....who all he does is seem to make plays?

I am happy with O'Leary and Clay.

As someone mentioned up-thread, Clay led the team in receiver yards last year; was 2nd (Woods) in '16 and was 3rd (Sam, Woods) in '15.

Would it be nice to get a Gronk-like beast?  Sure.  But with all the holes that need filling, I'd put that pretty low on the list of priorities.

On 3/31/2018 at 9:28 AM, Frez said:

In my opinion I think this is a draft we need to address our TE position. Clay has been good but he plays injured most of the time and honestly I have been expecting more out of him over the years. It's time we draft that big fast pass catching TE in this year's draft. Buffalo has been missing that go to guy for to long. Pete Metzelars and Jay Remermisa are long missed! 

I've heard good things about the TE from Penn State. Don't know much about the kid but I really hope we address that need in this years draft. 

I like Genski (I think that's his name lol)... I'm hoping we can get him in the 2nd or 3rd rd

On 3/31/2018 at 9:28 AM, Frez said:

In my opinion I think this is a draft we need to address our TE position. Clay has been good but he plays injured most of the time and honestly I have been expecting more out of him over the years. It's time we draft that big fast pass catching TE in this year's draft. Buffalo has been missing that go to guy for to long. Pete Metzelars and Jay Remermisa are long missed! 

I've heard good things about the TE from Penn State. Don't know much about the kid but I really hope we address that need in this years draft. 

we have nick oleary who won the best college te in the nation award and finally we have a qb that will make him a star. we don't need to draft a te high this year.

btw i'd trade logan thomas. he's a waste of a roster spot.

Edited by billsredneck1

1 minute ago, HiddenInLight said:

While I agree that another pass catching TE would be great, it really doesn't matter unless we can find a competent guy to throw him the ball.

It's the chicken and egg problem that we've been on the wrong side of for all these years. I believe that will change come draft day, then we'll have plenty of opportunity to grab weapons.

17 hours ago, Augie said:

Strange how Clay could have a great game, then totally disappear. As much as he costs, and as much as he’s injured.....that contract needs a closer look. What would it cost to move on if he won’t restructure? 

Clay has a cap hit of 9 million in 2018 and 2019.

His Dead Cap is 9 million.  Clay already restructured back in 2016 and is one of the reasons his contract has

so much guaranteed money (Dead money).

Next year (2019) his cap hit is 9 and Dead money is 4.5.

IMO, if Clay doesn't have an outstanding year this year he will get cut next year.

FWIW.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/charles-clay-7893/

In my opinion the reason why they have been babying Logan Thomas along is probably for NEXT offseason.....when Clay and his knee become easier to go away from....

We appear to be cultivating TE's from within......and our WR situation is so bad I dont know if we even have the resources this offseason to dedicate a resource to it......

O'Leary catches everything close to him.....then turns it upfield and punishes someone...he is a excellent number 2 TE guy