Wonderlic test scores of 2018 NFL Draft QBs leaked

Mopreme

1 hour ago, PolishDave said:

Dude's got his own version of English.   WTF?

Sounds like a complete dumbass.

Can you imagine the pain of having to watch this guy get interviewed after every game?    Good lord man.

"Who cares how he sounds in post-game interviews, as long as the team is WINNING?!"
- John from Riverside, skycap, Alphadawg, NewEra, Pete

3 hours ago, Paulus said:

But, where do you score one this test?

autism-spectrum-conditions.jpg

Never was asked to take the test...

Maybe if you still weren't struggling to put Fisher Price 15 piece puzzles together you wouldnt be so impressed with a clock.

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Never was asked to take the test...

Maybe if you still weren't struggling to put Fisher Price 15 piece puzzles together you wouldnt be so impressed with a clock.

I'm sure you'd pass.

You scored a 37. You're as smart as Tony Romo, he scored a 37.

Tony Romo is a American football quarterback. According to Wonderlic Test Scores, Tony Romo has a score of 37. Romo played college football at the University of Eastern Illinois. As a sophomore in 2000, Romo ranked second in Division 1-AA in passing efficiency, completing 164 passes of 278 for 2,583 yards and 27 touchdowns. He was a 3x All-Ohio Valley Conference player, 3x OVC Player of the Year, 3x All- American, and won the Walter Payton Award while in college. Romo entered the 2003 NFL draft and went undrafted.He would later sign as a undrafted rookie free agent.He would not start till four seasons later, and is still the current starting quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys.

Looks like I'm in "Allen" company

Edited by Chuck Wagon

This one showed me as smarter than my math aptitude allows... I thought the practice test from the other thread was much more challenging, and probably realistic. Check it out.

http://wonderlictestsample.com/50-question-wonderlic-test/

It's also impressive how quickly one can improve with practice. I went from a 27 cold without scrap paper (which is allowed) to a 39 the second time with scrap paper. I can't fathom scoring a 13 after having actually practiced for weeks...

Edited by SmokinES3

On 29/03/2018 at 8:45 PM, keepthefaith said:

Is there any excuse for a 13?  25 not so hot either.  Certainly these fellas that are 1st round potential picks study and practice for this test.  They don't show up unprepared and not take it seriously with all that's at stake? 

Didn't Jim Kelly score like a 12? These don't decide who will be a bust

• 3 weeks later...

I can’t say that I am too surprised by the Ferguson score. He is talented but did not impress much from a mental standpoint from the interviews I have seen. 

I still believe this is a concern for Jackson being the lowest score of all the prospects. He struggled to learn Petrino’s offense his first year. There were a number of times That Jackson was excecuting plays that were not the ones called by the staff because he did not know them. We know that college offenses are simplied already so this is somewhat troubling because much more will be asked if him at the NFL level. Jackson appeared to pick up the offense much better in years two and three but how the coaching staff taught him and what was truly expected of him is only known to the Louisville staff and the teams that have spoken to them. 

6 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

I can’t say that I am too surprised by the Ferguson score. He is talented but did not impress much from a mental standpoint from the interviews I have seen. 

I still believe this is a concern for Jackson being the lowest score of all the prospects. He struggled to learn Petrino’s offense his first year. There were a number of times That Jackson was excecuting plays that were not the ones called by the staff because he did not know them. We know that college offenses are simplied already so this is somewhat troubling because much more will be asked if him at the NFL level. Jackson appeared to pick up the offense much better in years two and three but how the coaching staff taught him and what was truly expected of him is only known to the Louisville staff and the teams that have spoken to them. 

Louisville coach Bobby Petrino talks why Lamar Jackson can be a successful NFL quarterback

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

What will allow him to be successful:

1) Freakish athleticism will stress defenses with his legs.

2) Good arm and solid release. 

3). Good character and appears willing to work.

4) See #1 as he is an unbelievable athlete for the position. 

Concerns:

1) Learning an NFL Offense and being able to adjust each week could be an issue.

2) Throwing mechanics need an adjustment with his narrow base. 

3) Accuracy. See #2 because if he fixes that he will probably be accurate enough. 

4) Will need to develop more patience in the pocket and trust going deeper into his progressions. 

1 minute ago, racketmaster said:

Concerns:

1) Learning an NFL Offense and being able to adjust each week could be an issue.

3) Accuracy. See #2 because if he fixes that he will probably be accurate enough. 

4) Will need to develop more patience in the pocket and trust going deeper into his progressions. 

I think he'll be able to fix the footwork/narrow base issue that leads to inconsistent accuracy.   He seems to be pretty patient in the pocket with lots of growth in that area in 2017 from the previous CFB season. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think he'll be able to fix the footwork/narrow base issue that leads to inconsistent accuracy.   He seems to be pretty patient in the pocket with lots of growth in that area in 2017 from the previous CFB season. 

It’s possible that he can. Only time will tell. 

On 3/29/2018 at 8:45 PM, keepthefaith said:

Is there any excuse for a 13?  25 not so hot either.  Certainly these fellas that are 1st round potential picks study and practice for this test.  They don't show up unprepared and not take it seriously with all that's at stake? 

Actually I read that 25 is the desired score and that anything above that is irrelevant.

Whether that's accurate or not I don't know.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

On April 3, 2018 at 8:10 AM, BuffaloHokie13 said:

So none since 2002? That's a good sign.

Wonderlic score for a QB certainly does not tell the whole picture, but it tells some of the picture, and never more than now.

You can't go by Kelly and Marino; their horrid scores are from a different era where defenses were nowhere near as complex as now.

Back then, the QB position did not place nearly the mental demand on the player as it does now.

31 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Concerns:

I thought I remember Louisville ran the Erhardt-Perkins system.  That could help the transition to Bills if that is the offense Daboll runs. 

This is what it says on that Walterfootball link:

"A note on Lamar Jackson's Wonderlic score of 13: 

Nine quarterbacks were drafted in the past 15 years with a Wonderlic of 15 or less, according to Bob McGinn. Those names were, alphabetically: 

Josh Booty

Nate Davis

Josh Johnson

Zac Robinson

Troy Smith

Tyrod Taylor

Seneca Wallace

Andre Woodson

Vince Young 

Of those nine, only Young and Taylor were starters for an extended period of time, and neither was particularly good. Young had a decent stretch for a couple of seasons, but flamed out because he never developed as a passer, failing to ever throw for more than 12 touchdowns in a single year. Taylor is currently a starter, but not for long. Jackson's Wonderlic of 13 doesn't mean he'll necessarily fail - with some great coaching, I think he could become a good starter - but history is going against him."

21 minutes ago, Dalton said:

I thought I remember Louisville ran the Erhardt-Perkins system.  That could help the transition to Bills if that is the offense Daboll runs. 

Yes, but he still struggled the first year to learn the system and was sometimes running the wrong plays. He was able to get away with it at the college level because he is a freak athlete. 

Adjustments were made for his sophomore and junior year. Either Jackson was able to pick it up with more time or the offense was simplified (or a combination of the two). 

So I see the Erhardt-Perkins offense thrown around a lot that Jackson ran and using it as an example that he ran a complicated NFL offense. I would just caution this thinking because we really do not know what was asked of him. Was he allowed to audible? Set protections? Make checks? What was the play verbage and how signaled into him? What was the playbook volume? Etc. 

It’s possible that he did run a complicated version of the offense and had a lot of responsibility. It’s also possible the offense was simplified and he was given limited responsibility. The scouts and coaches will have figured this out during the draft process. 

Edited by racketmaster

17 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Nine quarterbacks were drafted in the past 15 years with a Wonderlic of 15 or less, according to Bob McGinn. Those names were, alphabetically: 

Josh Booty

Nate Davis

Josh Johnson

Zac Robinson

Troy Smith

Tyrod Taylor

Seneca Wallace

Andre Woodson

Vince Young 

Of those nine, only Young and Taylor were starters for an extended period of time, and neither was particularly good. Young had a decent stretch for a couple of seasons, but flamed out because he never developed as a passer, failing to ever throw for more than 12 touchdowns in a single year. Taylor is currently a starter, but not for long. Jackson's Wonderlic of 13 doesn't mean he'll necessarily fail - with some great coaching, I think he could become a good starter - but history is going against him."

...just curious bud in your opinion.....is "13" the only reason Lamar has been categorized as "dumber than a box around these parts" or do those "in the know " here about collegiate ball analyses ((I don't get to see college ball) see something else outside of the Wonderlic to lead to that conclusion?....

34 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...just curious bud in your opinion.....is "13" the only reason Lamar has been categorized as "dumber than a box around these parts" or do those "in the know " here about collegiate ball analyses ((I don't get to see college ball) see something else outside of the Wonderlic to lead to that conclusion?....

I can't really speak on it to much. You see him making very simple reads and really relying on his athleticism quite a bit. 

My opinion is he has done a terrible job with the predraft process because he didn't hire an agent. And agent gets guys prepared for everything, including practicing these tests. It's like taking an SAT prep course, that score maybe could have been a 15-18 if he hired an agent who helped him prepare. 

22 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I can't really speak on it to much. You see him making very simple reads and really relying on his athleticism quite a bit. 

My opinion is he has done a terrible job with the predraft process because he didn't hire an agent. And agent gets guys prepared for everything, including practicing these tests. It's like taking an SAT prep course, that score maybe could have been a 15-18 if he hired an agent who helped him prepare. 

...appreciate your assessment...thank you..........:thumbsup:

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Josh Booty

Nate Davis

Josh Johnson

Zac Robinson

Troy Smith

Tyrod Taylor

Seneca Wallace

Andre Woodson

Vince Young 

I recall when VY was so untrusted withgame situations and reads that he couldn’t audible and was not allowed to call timeouts without permission from the sideline 

I’ll contend that TT has major pre snap issues too and was often untrusted by coaches

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Actually I read that 25 is the desired score and that anything above that is irrelevant.

Whether that's accurate or not I don't know.

This sounds right. Standardized tests of any sort are complete crap. There is no definitive way to measure intelligence. Many different types of intelligence exist, and no test can quantify them all. With that said, there is a certain score that one much achieve as to not raise red flags. The average Wonderlic score is 20. A score above that doesn’t necessarily say anything about the test taker, while a score below that is a major concern. It’s much like an IQ test. A high scorer on the IQ test is very likely an intellectual and successful person. They could also be no more intelligent on the surface than the average person. The real purpose of the test is to satisfy an average score. Anything below that point is indicative of cognitive issues. I view the Wonderlic in much the same manner. I don’t care what my QB scores, I just wouldn’t want a score that’s well below average. 

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Wonderlic score for a QB certainly does not tell the whole picture, but it tells some of the picture, and never more than now.

You can't go by Kelly and Marino; their horrid scores are from a different era where defenses were nowhere near as complex as now.

Back then, the QB position did not place nearly the mental demand on the player as it does now.

This^ I’d like to see Joe Namath or Terry Bradshaw’s Wonderlic scores if the test had been around. The game has evolved beyond the era these guys. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5