First Round QB Busts since 2000

2 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

It's a lengthy list. There are no guarantees in this business.

Manziel

Manual

Weeden

RGIII

Gabbert

Locker

Bradford

Kolb

Quinn 

Russel

Leinart

Young

Cambell

Harrington

Couch

Define bust. For that matter define franchise. Is Ryan Tannehill a franchise QB? I think if he were a Bills QB we would be desperate to replace him.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Manziel

Manual

Weeden

RGIII

Gabbert

Locker

Bradford

Kolb

Quinn 

Russel

Leinart

Young

Cambell

Harrington

Couch

Losman,Tebow, Ponder are missing from this illustrious list.  

4 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Manziel

Manual

Weeden

RGIII

Gabbert

Locker

Bradford

Kolb

Quinn 

Russel

Leinart

Young

Cambell

Harrington

Couch

I only had to go back to 2008 to outdue your list. I dont know what your list is trying to prove. 

Mahomes

Watson

Trubisky

Goff

Wentz

Winston

Mariotta

Bortles

Bridgewater(?)

Luck

Tannehill

Newton

Stafford

Flacco

Ryan

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's worth noting that every draft has QB duds in the first round. 

No its not. The bills are going to make a mistake if they trade up, its all but guaranteed.

That's why they should stay pat and draft a guard and DT, so we can continue to suck for the next 15-20 years. 

9 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Manziel

Manual

Weeden

RGIII

Gabbert

Locker

Bradford

Kolb

Quinn 

Russel

Leinart

Young

Cambell

Harrington

Couch

Yet everyone of them is better than Tyrod and McCarron

• Haha (+1) 1

I happens. It is one of the most difficult positions in sports. It's hard to do physically and mentally. Colleges do not do a good job of preparing these kids, and generally they get drafted by teams that suck. Then they get thrown into the fire too quickly, develop terrible habits, and flame out. When there are only about 10-12 good quarterbacks in the NFL, it tells you how hard it is. 

But it is also about opportunity, fit, and coaching. How many of these guys started too soon for coaches who got fired?

I mean if Trent Edwards got drafted by New England he'd probably still be in the league. 

Steve Mariucci completely ruined both Giovanni Carmazzi and Joey Harrington. If Gio got drafted by New England in the sixth round, maybe history is quite different. 

If Mo Lewis doesn't blow up Drew Bledsoe's spleen, we probably never even hear of Brady. If San Diego doesn't move on from Brees, giving him to Sean Patyton, Brees' career is probably quite different.  

A lot of things have to go right, but first you have to have the talent. Once they are in your building it is on the organization and player to make it work. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Manziel

Manual

Weeden

RGIII

Gabbert

Locker

Bradford

Kolb

Quinn 

Russel

Leinart

Young

Cambell

Harrington

Couch

And the hits from that same time period include:

Eli Manning - 2 Super Bowl rings

Ben Roethlisberger - 2 Super Bowl rings

Aaron Rodgers - 1 Super Bowl ring

Joe Flacco - 1 Super Bowl ring

Carson Wentz - 1 Super Bowl ring

Not to mention guys like Matt Ryan and Cam Newton, who got their teams very close to winning a championship.

If you want to succeed, you can't be afraid of failing.  I would rather swing for the fences and strikeout, as opposed to playing it safe and stockpiling talent at other positions.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, mjt328 said:

And the hits from that same time period include:

Eli Manning - 2 Super Bowl rings

Ben Roethlisberger - 2 Super Bowl rings

Aaron Rodgers - 1 Super Bowl ring

Joe Flacco - 1 Super Bowl ring

Carson Wentz - 1 Super Bowl ring

Not to mention guys like Matt Ryan and Cam Newton, who got their teams very close to winning a championship.

If you want to succeed, you can't be afraid of failing.  I would rather swing for the fences and strikeout, as opposed to playing it safe and stockpiling talent at other positions.

NO NEVER.

DONT DRAFT A QB, ONE WILL FALL IN YOUR LAP. ITS PROVEN, TOM BRADY!!!!!!!!

DRAFT A DT AND GUARD! SUPERBOWLZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

21 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I only had to go back to 2008 to outdue your list. I dont know what your list is trying to prove. 

Mahomes

Watson

Trubisky

Goff

Wentz

Winston

Mariotta

Bortles

Bridgewater(?)

Luck

Tannehill

Newton

Stafford

Flacco

Ryan

No its not. The bills are going to make a mistake if they trade up, its all but guaranteed.

That's why they should stay pat and draft a guard and DT, so we can continue to suck for the next 15-20 years. 

Or....Draft a QB that falls to them.

Every few weeks we get another list of QB draft busts and every few weeks I have to repeat that, while interesting, it is totally irrelevant to this draft and these prospects and these teams. 

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Or....Draft a QB that falls to them.

I don't think any fall.

To many QB Needy teams up top.

Just now, K-9 said:

Every few weeks we get another list of QB draft busts and every few weeks I have to repeat that, while interesting, it is totally irrelevant to this draft and these prospects and these teams. 

TOM BRADY WAS A 6TH RD PICK. ITS SCIENCE THAT YOU DONT NEED TO DRAFT ONE IN RD 1.

TOM BRADY!!!

No one should ever take any calculated risks.

I'm also still amazed how the past magically predicts the future.  A guy didn't work out for a team 15 years ago means one of the current crop won't achieve or be worth a trade up.

There are way to many people afraid of their own shadow. One would think given these types of threads that it's their job on the line if they don't get a franchise QB.

I think alot of the reason some of these guys wernt good was a product of their environment. 

Ej Manuel was never a franchise qb. However, guys like weeden actually played well for a while, but look who he's played for. Typically high drafted qbs go to the worst teams. It'll be interesting to see whoever the bills pick and how they play. The bills arnt a bad team. They won 9 games and have a solid o-line. 

2 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I don't think any fall.

To many QB Needy teams up top.

TOM BRADY WAS A 6TH RD PICK. ITS SCIENCE THAT YOU DONT NEED TO DRAFT ONE IN RD 1.

TOM BRADY!!!

Aaron Rodgers, Ben Rothlesberger, Joe Flacco, Tony Romo...

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

But if there aren't any left to take.....

But you know Nathan Peterman and stuff. 

Funny you bring up Peterman. He was one of the names people here touted as draft worthy last year. I get it. QB Fever hits hard every spring. They all look like hall of famers before the draft.

I think Buffalo has to Draft a QB in the first round without any doubt. However I don't think they need to move up if a QB is drafted with the 1st and 2nd picks, then ultimately 3 would be taken in the first three picks. I think Buffalo moving up completely depends on what Cleveland does with their first pick. If they pick a QB at one then Buffalo should stay put. If Barkley goes first then make a move.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Funny you bring up Peterman. He was one of the names people here touted as draft worthy last year. I get it. QB Fever hits hard every spring. They all look like hall of famers before the draft.

He was a 5th rd pick, he should not be thought of as starter material.

Go up and get the guy you want, its really that simple. The fear of failure is ridiculous 

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

Go up and get the guy you want, its really that simple. The fear of failure is ridiculous 

Peterman ended up a 5th rounder but he was discussed as a low 1st or 2nd on this board last year. I'm just pointing out how we overvalue QBs.

My brother is an Eagles fan.  For years, he felt the same way as many people on this board. 

He didn't want to see his team "overdraft" players, and was always worried about getting value from his picks.  He didn't believe a Quarterback could succeed without a fantastic O-Line in front of him, a great running game and receiving weapons all over the field.  So the best plan was always kicking the can down the road, until the rest of the roster was set.  Being a big NCAA fan, every QB prospect that popped up was also loaded with flaws.  There was always a better option "next year."

He just about lost his mind when the Eagles MORTGAGED THEIR FUTURE to move up for Carson Wentz.  He was depressed and wondered how a rookie QB could ever succeed with the "crappy roster" and "bad defense" around him.

Wentz wasn't even half-way through his rookie season before my brother completely changed his tune.  He told me that he could IMMEDIATELY see the difference in what Wentz brought to the table, even as a raw/inexperienced player.  Keep in mind that my brother watched Pro Bowler Donovan McNabb for years.  And when Nick Foles was playing fantastic, my brother was always convinced he was a "system quarterback."  But in less than 8 games, he immediately knew that Wentz was going to transform their franchise.  And only a year later, the Eagles were hoisting their first Lombardi trophy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Santana said:

I think Buffalo has to Draft a QB in the first round without any doubt. However I don't think they need to move up if a QB is drafted with the 1st and 2nd picks, then ultimately 3 would be taken in the first three picks. I think Buffalo moving up completely depends on what Cleveland does with their first pick. If they pick a QB at one then Buffalo should stay put. If Barkley goes first then make a move.

Zero chance the Browns take a RB at one, zero.

The Browns are taking a QB at one. The Jets are taking one at three. The Giants are trading down or taking a QB at 2, Eli's days are numbered and the Giants may never have an opportunity to get his replacement as good as this one. The Broncos will also take a QB as there is not a team in the league that understands how much you need a stud at QB to win in this league more than Elway's Broncos. Whatever the order, Allen, Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield are gone in the first 5 picks. We are either paying a ransom to the Giants, paying one to the Colts for Jackson or we will spend the season missing the good old days of Orton and Taylor.

Edited by Mickey

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Manziel

Manual

Weeden

RGIII

Gabbert

Locker

Bradford

Kolb

Quinn 

Russel

Leinart

Young

Cambell

Harrington

Couch

If these were Bills QB’s.... there would be a number of fans here arguing that many names on your list were NOT busts and were good picks.  I know from doing “Hits and Misses”

1 hour ago, slaphappy said:

Need a list of can't miss prospects that a team moved up to draft in the top 5 that ended up busting. Taking one at 12 isn't the same as giving away the farm to take "the guy".

I can think of Mark Sanchez. The Jets went from 17 to 5.

RG3 obviously did not work out. 

The Falcons flipped 1 and 5 for Vick. Not a bust, but clearly did not work out in the long run. 

Wentz is really good. Goff had 1 good year. 

Funny how this works, we trade up to 12th overall and the debate was what QB we wanted when we moved up again.

Now all outlooks are bleak on us getting up in the draft, so let's start thread after thread about busts in the draft at QB.

Give me a break, Buffalo 

1) Restructured Tyrod's deal in order to potentially cut ties sooner than later.

2) Traded out of taking Mahomes/Watson to acquire capital for this draft class.

3) Traded starters during the season for draft capital in 2018.

4) Trade Tyrod and Glenn (getting the 12th overall), opening up cap space this year and next year. 

But I'm sure all these moves were made with a good old "Hey first round QBs bust we aren't interested."

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

He had one bad game where is was facing ferocious pressure. Need to improve the OL.

2 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Funny how this works, we trade up to 12th overall and the debate was what QB we wanted when we moved up again.

Now all outlooks are bleak on us getting up in the draft, so let's start thread after thread about busts in the draft at QB.

Give me a break, Buffalo 

1) Restructured Tyrod's deal in order to potentially cut ties sooner than later.

2) Traded out of taking Mahomes/Watson to acquire capital for this draft class.

3) Traded starters during the season for draft capital in 2018.

4) Trade Tyrod and Glenn (getting the 12th overall), opening up cap space this year and next year. 

But I'm sure all these moves were made with a good old "Hey first round QBs bust we aren't interested."

Digging out from the mess Whaley created. We were in cap hell. Time to reload with all the picks. A potential franchise QB will be there for us without changing our draft position. 

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

My brother is an Eagles fan.  For years, he felt the same way as many people on this board. 

He didn't want to see his team "overdraft" players, and was always worried about getting value from his picks.  He didn't believe a Quarterback could succeed without a fantastic O-Line in front of him, a great running game and receiving weapons all over the field.  So the best plan was always kicking the can down the road, until the rest of the roster was set.  Being a big NCAA fan, every QB prospect that popped up was also loaded with flaws.  There was always a better option "next year."

He just about lost his mind when the Eagles MORTGAGED THEIR FUTURE to move up for Carson Wentz.  He was depressed and wondered how a rookie QB could ever succeed with the "crappy roster" and "bad defense" around him.

Wentz wasn't even half-way through his rookie season before my brother completely changed his tune.  He told me that he could IMMEDIATELY see the difference in what Wentz brought to the table, even as a raw/inexperienced player.  Keep in mind that my brother watched Pro Bowler Donovan McNabb for years.  And when Nick Foles was playing fantastic, my brother was always convinced he was a "system quarterback."  But in less than 8 games, he immediately knew that Wentz was going to transform their franchise.  And only a year later, the Eagles were hoisting their first Lombardi trophy.

Boom shaka laka

All you morons who wanna pass on QB READ THIS.