Jets just traded with Colts for #3 pick in first round

With this news yesterday's press conference really feels like a concession speech.  We tried to aggressively move up and we lost.  4 QBs are almost for sure off the board when we pick, potentially 5.  Getting the 7th best position player at #12 overall for a player who wasn't in your long term plans is not a bad move and you are getting a guy who would have been long gone by 21.

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

If the Jets are moving to 3, you don't think they inquired about 2 beforehand? G men are taking Barkley. 

Yeah, it's possible.  Maybe the G men don't want to trade with the Jets.  Maybe they have an agreement in principle to trade with us.  I dunno.  I'm not ruling 2 out just yet.

47 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

For what it's worth, Charlie Campbell reported a few months ago that the guy that told him the Jets wanted Hackenburg hinted that the Jets badly wanted Josh Allen.

This would be a dream come true. If they just traded up for Allen I'll die happy.

10 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Colts can still get Chubb and build their Oline with picks. Great move by Colts

They are likely to get the same player at #6 that they were going to take #3 and picked up 3 2nd round picks to do it.  It's a huge win.

12 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Flacco off the top of my head

Hmmm.  Let's take a look then.

The Ravens were contenders for roughly 5 years, before everything fell apart again.  That would be from 2008-2012.

Flacco was certainly a Top 10-15 quarterback during that stretch of his career.  If you don't believe me, go back and look at the stats.  And his play during the 2012 Super Bowl run was possibly the best a QB has ever played during a playoff stretch.

Since Flacco's play has tailed off, the Ravens have been unable to maintain any sort of success.  They haven't won the division since 2012, and have missed the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 seasons.  I would say the Ravens are more of an example that proves my point.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

#2 is the only option.  You can’t have this much ammo and end up heading into the season with McCarron, Peterman, “we tried,” and six unknown prospects whose contracts expire at the same time.  It’s a fireable offense.  I expect us to be picking at 2 when the draft rolls around.  Otherwise it’ll be a short tenure for the GM,

It’s hardly the only option, and the Giants may not even be considering a trade.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

They are likely to get the same player at #6 that they were going to take #3 and picked up 3 2nd round picks to do it.  It's a huge win.

Agreed. The Bills were not able to make this happen by offering ANY of their picks. This is not difficult to understand, but some on this board think they should have " tried harder"

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

No they aren't.  No RB is worth the haul that can be had in draft picks.  A QB is going #2.

I disagree. All their moves thus far point to being all in on Eli for the next few seasons. Barkely is a game changer and they think they can contend. 3 years is an eternity in football, look at the Seahawks 3 years ago. G men are not going QB at 2. 

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

No they aren't.  No RB is worth the haul that can be had in draft picks.  A QB is going #2.

They should go QB. Eli has been fading for years and is 37. 

However, GMs don't always think rationally. 

Barkley and 3 QBs 1-4 is the worst case scenario for the Bills. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Hmmm.  Let's take a look then.

The Ravens were contenders for roughly 5 years, before everything fell apart again.  That would be from 2008-2012.

Flacco was certainly a Top 10-15 quarterback during that stretch of his career.  If you don't believe me, go back and look at the stats.  And his play during the 2012 Super Bowl run was possibly the best a QB has ever played during a playoff stretch.

Since Flacco's play has tailed off, the Ravens have been unable to maintain any sort of success.  They haven't won the division since 2012, and have missed the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 seasons.  I would say the Ravens are more of an example that proves my point.

I said off the top of my head.

and I am not arguing teams don't need a good QB.  I would simply say no one knows who if any of the guys in this draft will be one.

11 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

how is it a disaster?

# 1 and # 2 picks are still tradable, no?

I have felt for a while now with the rapport between gettleman and beane that they may work something out.

to call this a disaster before draft day has come and gone, is very premature, imo.

Exactly. The Bills had the ammo to beat the Jest's offer and can still get ahead of them if the NYG are willing to deal. Beane was worried about trading into #3 and having the Jest jump him at #2, IMO. There is no way that the Giants want their NJ rivals to make the big splash in this draft. This is a Mets vs. Yankees type of situation. If Gettleman wants a QB, he still gets his choice (at least his second choice). If he doesn't, I think he deals with his pal, Beane, to screw the Jest. Imagine the headlines in the Big Apple: 'Giants Deal #2 Pick to Jets Division RIval' or maybe the NY Post: 'Bills Come Due For Jets in Giant Deal'.