Bills GM: Not certain we move up to take QB

Sure I understand nothing is certain. You go sky diving it isn't certain your parachute will open. Yet there you are on the plane with the gear on and you look ready to jump.

Edited by Lfod

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Do I think they'll trade up?   Yes.   

Do I think Beane is lying about not knowing if he will trade up?  No.

In my experience, I've heard very few GMs talk in such an open and straightforward manner as Beane does.   Here's what he said:

I haven't focused on the draft.  Until now I've been focused on free agency.   We evaluate potential free agents more or less the way we put together a draft board, figuring out what each guy is worth to us.   That's what I've been doing.

Now I will begin to focus on the draft.   I don't know nearly enough about any of the top players, and I will by the time the draft comes.   We will put a value on each guy.   We haven't done that. 

When we know how good each guy is, then we can talk to teams to find out what they want for their picks and we can decide whether we think it's worth what they want to get the guy we we want.   I don't know whether there's a deal to be made or not, because I don't enough about the players and I don't know yet what teams at the top of the draft want. 

What part of that don't you believe?

The question no one asked, which he would have ducked, is given what you know now about the QBs, what do you think the chances are you'll trade up?    I'd say 80%.   I'd guess he'd say the same.   That's what I'd like to know.   

Here's the thing:  I don't think any one of the rookies has a resume that looks like Luck's or Newton's coming out of college.   None of these guys has the same high probability of success that those guys had.   If I'm right about that, then the teams that need QBs aren't going to be so excited about trading up.   And the teams that are up there already that need QBs may not be so anxious to roll the dice.  

Look at the extreme year, when EJ and Geno were generally the two highest rated guys coming out.   There was no stampede to trade up; in fact, as you know, the Bills traded DOWN and still got the guy they wanted.   

So maybe Beane isn't all that impressed with these guys.   Maybe he actually IS content to sit at 12 and take the best QB left on the board.   Maybe he likes that better than coughing up his 22d pick and a second round pick.   That doesn't seem to be a completely crazy prospect.  

On the other hand, how likely is it that he already knows he loves a guy so much he's going to the top of the draft to get him?   Looking at the rookies we're talking about, I don't think it's very likely. 

In other words, I think he's telling the truth when he says he doesn't know if he's trading up.  

That was the most cogent, straight-forward, succinct and intelligent press conference a Bills GM has given in the on-line era.  Beane is not only privy but he is directing the evaluation process.  For example, he admitted they make calls on guys they have no interest in just to gauge the value of a player with similar skills.  He talked about having a floor (bargain price) and a ceiling for every UFA in whom they are interested.  Fascinating process  -- things we knew but never said publicly before.

Really like Beane and McDermott....

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Would everyone's head explode if the Bills don't trade up to get a QB.  

Their is so much talent in this draft class and it's not in the form of elite talent but very good players into the 4th rd. If we hit on a lot of good players with all our picks and upgrade key positions we could easily make a playoff run. Other teams are going to be asking for most of our early picks to move up. I would be fine with staying at 12 and infusing this roster with talent. 

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

It's the safe answer. Typical gm speak. You start saying you're gonna move up, other teams will start asking you to sell the farm to get their pick. Bean is smart

It's the old negging technique. Don't act that interested in the product so that the cost goes down. I don't think it will work necessarily but it is the appropriate move. 

1 hour ago, simool said:

I wonder if the Bills drug test front office employees?

More useful to drug test posters.

Mccarron was a QB with a pedigree which played for a good coach and good team.  Before the draft they will sit with him like they would a draft pick and determine what they have. Now that he is signed me may tell them what he thinks his strengths are, his weaknesses are and what the Bills can help him with.  I looked but did not see anyone on our staff who worked with him in Cinci which is a shame.

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

I don't hate Jackson.

I would hate if we traded up to #12 to take Jackson.

If they can't move up more to take their tops choice, They will pick best on the board at 12 and take Jackson at 22. I don't see them taking Jackson at 12 when they know he will be there at 22. I'm not certain he will be there in round two though when we pick again.

13 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

If they can't move up more to take their tops choice, They will pick best on the board at 12 and take Jackson at 22. I don't see them taking Jackson at 12 when they know he will be there at 22. I'm not certain he will be there in round two though when we pick again.

Exactly.

I would be mad if they took him at 12

Edited by SouthNYfan
Fixed 22 to 12
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Sooooo.... here's an interesting statement by Beane that, to me, might be a slip by Beane that the Bills are targeting Lamar Jackson:

"There are some guys that we were talking about right before we went to the combine with our scouts, and I'm like, 'We're wasting our time with this guy. He ain't falling to 21. This guy is a top-10, 12 -- he ain't getting past 15."

15, huh? 

Who has been the team most linked to Lamar Jackson?

Just try googling "team most likely to draft Lamar Jackson" and right now this is the 1st link:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/02/04/2018-nfl-mock-draft-lamar-jackson-carson-palmer-cardinals/amp/

Very interesting. I still think we're pretty clearly moving up, but specifically referencing the Cardinals draft spot might be a sign. 

Mayfield/Darnold/Rosen in a trade up or Jackson at 12 and I'm stoked!!!! :thumbsup:

Jackson at 12, no thanks, I am so done with Tyrod type running around. Those skrony legs will never survive in the NFL IMO. No reason to move up in the draft for a QB if all your going to do is draft a 2 year project.

Blows my mind Allen is ranked so high, his agent is doing a hell of a job getting people to prop him up. I truly wish Cleveland or some other team jumps on him and leaves us a a chance at Rosen, Darnold,Mayfield, nobody else matters.

It would sure be Billsy if they did all this moving in the draft just to take Allen/Jackson though, maybe we should expect the scraps, we should be used to that by now. Rudolph is a much better prospect @12 then these 2 IMO.

Edited by xRUSHx

9 minutes ago, JoeF said:

That was the most cogent, straight-forward, succinct and intelligent press conference a Bills GM has given in the on-line era.  Beane is not only privy but he is directing the evaluation process.  For example, he admitted they make calls on guys they have no interest in just to gauge the value of a player with similar skills.  He talked about having a floor (bargain price) and a ceiling for every UFA in whom they are interested.  Fascinating process  -- things we knew but never said publicly before.

Really like Beane and McDermott....

There were questions about who was in charge of the football side at OBD not long ago. That discussion is really moot because it's clear Beane has his role and so does McDermott.

This is not the classic GM-HC relationship that some fans who are stuck in the 90s still think is required. 

It's so refreshing to have a GM stand up there and respond like Beane did. Yeah, there will be subterfuge, but I have confidence Beane and McDermott have a plan and are implementing it. 

6 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

They might not. 

There’s a good chance that a QB they want isn’t gone by then.

The draft has a lot of potential studs that other teams may covet above QB.

I’m just saying...The Bills will be moving up to 4 and drafting Rosen. TTYL.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

They might not. 

There’s a good chance that a QB they want isn’t gone by then.

The draft has a lot of potential studs that other teams may covet above QB.

I’m just saying...

With nearly 100 mill in cap space next year...might the beane counter be thinking Matt Ryan in 2019???????

26 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

19 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Exactly.

I would be mad if they took him at 12

Know? Impossible. Some teams "knew" players would available and then someone made an unexpected move.

Mad? Some are mad all the time. Not a factor.

I do not want GM to base his picks on what mocks say (there is a reason they are called mocker, creators should be mocked) or what will make fans not mad.