Cordy Trade - do you like it?

Bakin

Do you like the Glenn Trade?  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Cordy Trade?

Yes, and No!

He’s not a McBeane guy. Huge salary, oft- injured and sufficiently replaced last year. We’re stock-pilling fantastic Picks to get closer to the top of the order. I get it. 

But with further reflection, re: trading our rare, envious Draft capital, last years rookie class was among the very best in team history, with 4.5 starters added (White, Jones, Dawkins, Milano & Peterman/Vallejo(ST). If we draft half as well as that this year, we'll be in $alary Cap Hell in 4 & 5 years respectively. The price we payed for these picks (notably Watkins, Darby, Dareus, Glenn) may well be the steepest cast offs since John Rauch gutted the AFL Champs. As much as I don't want to surrender a single pick, stockpiling a few of them to get the QB of our dreams is so enticing! The problem? Will he turn out as another Jim Kelly -or another EJ Manuel.... Beane has been nothing short of brilliant! But can he pull the biggest rabbit out of the hat?? For every Peyton Manning, there’s a Ryan Leaf. If this crapshoot choice is blown, this would be the worst price the team has paid for a failure in team history. A ‘McBeane guy’ is a 4 year starter, team captain and Conference All-American. Rosen & Mayfield (my preference) are neither. Also, OT is now on the FA/early Draft necessity. So to today’s trade, Yes, and No!

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Abso Freakin lutely!!!!

I asked last year if people trusted McBean after the Sammy trade and people were hemming and hawing.

How many were calling for one or the others head last year at some point. Ridiculous amounts of shade thrown at the both of ‘em.

“ How ya like me now?!!!”

They know we can do without him. My hunch is he doesn’t stay healthy from here on out for long stretches.

How did Sammy do last year?

How did Darby do last year?

Darby won a championship  as a starting CB with the Eagles.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, we do disagree on this.  I don't know who Beane's guy is.  Beane may not be sure yet who his guy is!  But he should have one (at most two) guys he's targeting.

Either we walk out of the draft with THAT ONE GUY, or if it's simply not possible (say he's drafted #1 by the Browns, nothing we can do about it), we execute whatever our Plan B may be, and do something else with the pick.  And make no mistake, the universe of things we can do with that pick has not changed so much since last year. 

That is not failure - that's planning the flight, and flying the plan, the recipe for long-term success unlike "DAMMIT!  Our plans for drafting Roethlisburger fell through.  I know....we'll take Lohman as our consolation prize!" 

Nuts.

I'm not talking consolation prize.

That would be if we don't get one of the top 4 and we took Rudolph at 22

33 minutes ago, pimp on da' net said:

Darby won a championship  as a starting CB with the Eagles.

He missed half a season, and looked like doggie doodoo at points during the season.

Point being, we did fine without him( them) after all the “ this is the end of the world” rhetoric and neither had a great season.

Great for Darby, not throwing him under the bus.

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

The draft value chart says moving up to 12 would have cost a 2nd round pick. 

This trade will be hard for even the negative nancy crew to dislike.

We have an elite negative nancy crew.  I am fairly certain someone would gripe about Beane trading a 4th round pick for Aaron Rodgers.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I like Cordy the player but the Bills got fantastic value for him IMO. I’m a yes.

If Glenn is now healthy and consistently takes the field for the Bengals, then we didn't get enough in return. If he's not really healthy then....ok. This doesn't feel like a win for us to me though. just another Dareus like dump.

10 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you.

I think historical draft guessing about when QBs go isn't good though in this case, as the QB position seems to be more and more important every year, and this year there happens to be quite a bit of teams needing QBs.

I think there are legit 4 teams ahead of us who will draft a QB (Cleveland, Denver, Jets) and maybe 4 (Miami)

That's just how the draft fell.

I think we need to get up to #3 to get a top guy

If we talk out of this draft with anybody other than Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold, or Allen (yes Allen, not because I like him, but I'll trust McBeane if they decide he's there guy) then I view all these moves as a failure in the long run.

I know we disagree to some extent on this, but I think we need to get up to snag one of those 4.

I don't want our FO to just be hoping to land "one of those guys", I want them to identify which one they think is the absolute best and make your move up to guarantee that you get THAT guy, and not settle for the next best QB...this is why another move up is crucial. Sure we could sit at 12 and pick one of those 4 QBs but thats loser mentality and how you get a bust. 

The FO (and I am thinking/hoping this is what they are doing) better be doing their finest homework ever done to identify which QB they want, zero in on him, trade up to 2 or 3 and take him. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I don't want our FO to just be hoping to land "one of those guys", I want them to identify which one they think is the absolute best and make your move up to guarantee that you get THAT guy, and not settle for the next best QB...this is why another move up is crucial. Sure we could sit at 12 and pick one of those 4 QBs but thats loser mentality and how you get a bust. 

The FO (and I am thinking/hoping this is what they are doing) better be doing their finest homework ever done to identify which QB they want, zero in on him, trade up to 2 or 3 and take him. 

I agree with you.

I was saying that one of those four should be the target, not based on who I think is best, but who the front office thinks is best, and they should go get him.

That was that I was getting at, not sitting at 12 and waiting for "one of them to fall" but deciding which one they want and going for it.

• Like (+1) 1

I understand the necessity of it, if they plan on moving up (which appears likely).

With that being said, the trade was a case of selling low.  The guy had been injured for a long time, but was a capable franchise LT.  Last time we traded one of those, we got a first round pick and a fourth round pick (Jason Peters).  And the Peters deal was a good deal for the Eagles, as in the Bills probably should've gotten more than they got.  

I don't understand what someone could possibly not like about this, on the Bills side at least.

You were able to offload a huge salary, move up to #12 in the draft, while not really sacrificing any performance on the field, as Dawkins played just as well as Glenn last year.

I think the Bills definitely were the winner in this trade. I can't think of a single thing to be upset about. It'd be one thing if we didn't have Dawkins.

That Dawkins kid looks like the real deal and it seems like Glenn is always hurt.

Great for Beane and the Bills a very imaginative trade up.

BTW didn't some poster call this exact trade a few weeks ago? 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
57 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

I understand the necessity of it, if they plan on moving up (which appears likely).

With that being said, the trade was a case of selling low.  The guy had been injured for a long time, but was a capable franchise LT.  Last time we traded one of those, we got a first round pick and a fourth round pick (Jason Peters).  And the Peters deal was a good deal for the Eagles, as in the Bills probably should've gotten more than they got.  

Selling low?  We got the equivalent of a 2nd round pick for an above average to good LT, who has barely played the last two years and has a huge contract.  Even if Glenn played a full 16 for the Bills next season and we tried to trade him then, the high end would be a 2nd.  I thought we would end up releasing him or at best get a 4th or 5th round pick.  Moving up from 21 to 12 for Cordy Glenn is an absolute home run.  IMO we got top value for Glenn as we did for Tyrod.  Just a masterful job by Beane.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12