List of every 1st round trade for Quarterbacks over the last 10 years

1 minute ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Thats fine. I am saying those picks outside of Wood sucked. This draft has QBs. Go get one

2006 and 2009 had QBs too (Young, Leinhart, Cutler, Freeman, Sanchez)

I remember TSW had it's share of Young and Leinhart fanboys.  Rather ironic that they both would eventually end up with the Bills as camp fodder

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

I remember TSW had it's share of Young and Leinhart fanboys.  Rather ironic that they both would eventually end up with the Bills as camp fodder

And it was before the time I really watched college football but I can't imagine now knowing what I look for and value in prospects that either Young or Leinart would have floated my boat. I can imagine me having Cutler as my #1 QB with a mid 1st grade... but that is all guesswork really. 

I don't think that class was comparable to this one. 

If I can get Josh Rosen at #2 I am absolutely willing to pay the price to get there. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Well, let me put it this way, do you think Chicago would make the same trade today that they did a year ago for Trubisky?

Same could have been said of Goff after his rookie year.  Most  of these guys need a few years and some talent around them to look good.

Many fans give up and turn nasty on these young QBs way too early.  This is one of my big concerns with the idea of giving up a lot to “go get” a QB.

There is one QB who looks ready to step in early- Rosen, but even he will struggle with little talent around him.  Darnold is young with not a lot of experience.  Same can be said of Allen with the additional concern about his accuracy in college (mitigated by his weak supporting cast).  Mayfield looks to be a gamer, but he had GREAT talent around him and would not here.

I think Lamar Jackson is going to look good early due to his insane running ability.  I don’t know if he will pan out long-term (like Deshaun Watson) once teams take away their running option.

i still don’t see why Mason Rudolph is an afterthought for many.  I think he has just about the same chance of success as any of the others beyond Rosen.  I also like Mike White - go watch all of his game cut-ups and tell me he doesn’t have good ability.

Patience by fans and media should be the order of the day for whichever QB they draft.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Thats your choice if you want to lump Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield with noodle arm Leinhart and Young. Im not. 

25 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

You could spread your picks out a little bit so it won't hurt that much this draft.  I could easily see the Bills giving up their two 1sts, a 2nd, a 3rd (#65), and a 2nd next year.  You then get your quarterback, a 2nd and 3rd round pick this year.

No, you get what you HOPE is your QB.

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Same could have been said of Goff after his rookie year.  Most  of these guys need a few years and some talent around them to look good.

Many fans give up and turn nasty on these young QBs way too early.  This is one of my big concerns with the idea of giving up a lot to “go get” a QB.

There is one QB who looks ready to step in early- Rosen, but even he will struggle with little talent around him.  Darnold is young with not a lot of experience.  Same can be said of Allen with the additional concern about his accuracy in college (mitigated by his weak supporting cast).  Mayfield looks to be a gamer, but he had GREAT talent around him and would not here.

I think Lamar Jackson is going to look good early due to his insane running ability.  I don’t know if he will pan out long-term (like Deshaun Watson) once teams take away their running option.

i still don’t see why Mason Rudolph is an afterthought for many.  I think he has just about the same chance of success as any of the others beyond Rosen.  I also like Mike White - go watch all of his game cut-ups and tell me he doesn’t have good ability.

Patience by fans and media should be the order of the day for whichever QB they draft.

I love Rudolph, where will he go though? I've seen him go as late as the 4th round in some mocks, but I think the latest he goes is the top of the 2nd. Am I overvaluing him?

2 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Thats your choice if you want to lump Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield with noodle arm Leinhart and Young. Im not. 

My point is that we go thru this QB hype almost every year.  And usually the franchise QB that we absolutely positively have to trade up for flames out

Except for 2004 with Ben Roethlesberger and 2005 when we would have been able to draft Aaron Rodgers if Donahoe hadn't traded up for JP Losman the year before

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

I love Rudolph, where will he go though? I've seen him go as late as the 4th round in some mocks, but I think the latest he goes is the top of the 2nd. Am I overvaluing him?

I think that if they like him they should take him at 21.  I could even support a small trade up for him.  To me, I don’t see any worse prospect than any of the others.  His arm may not be quite as strong, but it seems good enough to me and nobody would say that Brady has the best arm in the league.

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Correct.  Which is the case with every rookie QB ever drafted.

Agreed, so do you agree that the risk is less/ margin of error is greater for the Browns who have to give up nothing to take their shot at 1 AND still have 4, 33 and 35 to get very good prospects vs. trading 21, 22, 53 and next year’s first to take a shot AFTER the Browns pick?

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Out of the teams that traded up for 1st round QBs in the past 10 years:

2017:

Chicago for Mitchell Trubisky

Kansas City for Patrick Mahomes

Houston for Deshaun Watson

2016:

Los Angeles for Jared Goff

Philadelphia for Carson Wentz

2015: no one.

2014:

Johnny Manziel

Teddy Bridgewater

2013: no one.

2012:

Washington gave up the farm for RG3.

2011: nobody.

2010: nobody.

2009:

Tampa Bay traded to #17 for Josh Freeman.

2008: Nobody

So out of the 9 QBs taken:

33% have been great.

(Wentz, Goff, Watson)

44% have been busts.

(Freeman, RG3, Trubisky, Manziel)

22% the jury is still out on.

(Bridgewater, Mahomes)

The scary part of this list is that there are actually no real true sustained hits...YET.  Agree, Watson, Wentz and Goff are all exciting young players right now.  However, its way too early to crown Watson, he had a few hot games, but so have a plethora of other NFL QB's, including one you listed here like RG3 that never sustained success.  He is also coming off his 2nd torn ACL now too that he has to over come.  I like Watson and pulling for him as I really like watching him play, but way too early to be a "hit" as not enough of a sample size and now dealing with yet another serious knee injury.

Goff and Wentz made great strides in their 2nd years, but even they are early to really know if they are truly a hit.  Wasn't that long ago people like RG3, Kapernick, Tannehill, etc were all the future in the NFL and got big contracts just to flame out before they were 30 (Kap and RG3 aren't even in the league anymore).  By no means am I predicting that, and in fact I do think Wentz has top 5 QB potential, just stating that all the best examples of hits that you called "great" are from last 2 years and haven't had more than a partial season of great play really.  Wentz to me is the prize of the two, I am still skeptical on Goff and fear he was the product of the genius of McVay and all the weapons they have.

Everyone else has mostly been busts with the exception of Mahomes who has barely played.  Bridgewater was ok, not great, before the injuries started happening, so he is a really big question mark...can he get back from the injuries is hard enough..then he still needs to be better than he was before he was hurt.  A lot to ask after the gruesome injuries he had.  

I still am very much hoping we trade up, and the guy I personally want the most is Baker.  But its still a scary list you provided with few examples to feel good about other than the new exciting ones who just haven't had enough time to cement their career paths yet.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Agreed, so do you agree that the risk is less/ margin of error is greater for the Browns who have to give up nothing to take their shot at 1 AND still have 4, 33 and 35 to get very good prospects vs. trading 21, 22, 53 and next year’s first to take a shot AFTER the Browns pick?

I could care less about whether our margin of error is less than the Browns if we move up.  I think the biggest difference between those that want to stay put and those fans who want to trade up is your opinion of the top QB's in this draft class.

1.)  I'm thinking 21, 22, 53, 65, and next year's 2nd would do it.

2.)  None of the free agents or Foles are capable of being your franchise QB (imo).

3.)  I think this is a special QB class.  Rosen and Mayfield I believe are highly likely to be great picks and franchise QB's imo.

4.)  Without Beane's forward thinking we would only have one 2nd and one 3rd right now.  We have the draft capital to move up and still have a 2nd and 3rd rounder this year.

5.)  We'll have comp picks next year that could easily allow us to either move into the 2nd round if need be and continue to build this team around our franchise QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

My point is that we go thru this QB hype almost every year.  And usually the franchise QB that we absolutely positively have to trade up for flames out

Except for 2004 with Ben Roethlesberger and 2005 when we would have been able to draft Aaron Rodgers if Donahoe hadn't traded up for JP Losman the year before

Who? There was a rumor the Bills loved Wentz. Last year, Watson. If the Browns take Barkley at 1, which seems likely, the Bills have an opportunity to identify there favorite QB in the class, and go get him. This seems to be a rare opportunity. 

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

I could care less about whether our margin of error is less than the Browns if we move up.  I think the biggest difference between those that want to stay put and those fans who want to trade up is your opinion of the top QB's in this draft class.

1.)  I'm thinking 21, 22, 53, 65, and next year's 2nd would do it.

2.)  None of the free agents or Foles are capable of being your franchise QB (imo).

3.)  I think this is a special QB class.  Rosen and Mayfield I believe are highly likely to be great picks and franchise QB's imo.

4.)  Without Beane's forward thinking we would only have one 2nd and one 3rd right now.  We have the draft capital to move up and still have a 2nd and 3rd rounder this year.

5.)  We'll have comp picks next year that could easily allow us to either move into the 2nd round if need be and continue to build this team around our franchise QB. 

Maybe true.  I am somewhat risk averse.  I like Mayfield, but he is no sure thing.  Rosen certainly is a talented passer and very smart.  If he is “all that”, though why would Cleveland take Darnold instead and why wouldn’t Jets or Broncos trade up as they have as much to offer as the Bills do.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The scary part of this list is that there are actually no real true sustained hits...YET.  Agree, Watson, Wentz and Goff are all exciting young players right now.  However, its way too early to crown Watson, he had a few hot games, but so have a plethora of other NFL QB's, including one you listed here like RG3 that never sustained success.  He is also coming off his 2nd torn ACL now too that he has to over come.  I like Watson and pulling for him as I really like watching him play, but way too early to be a "hit" as not enough of a sample size and now dealing with yet another serious knee injury.

Goff and Wentz made great strides in their 2nd years, but even they are early to really know if they are truly a hit.  Wasn't that long ago people like RG3, Kapernick, Tannehill, etc were all the future in the NFL and got big contracts just to flame out before they were 30 (Kap and RG3 aren't even in the league anymore).  By no means am I predicting that, and in fact I do think Wentz has top 5 QB potential, just stating that all the best examples of hits that you called "great" are from last 2 years and haven't had more than a partial season of great play really.  Wentz to me is the prize of the two, I am still skeptical on Goff and fear he was the product of the genius of McVay and all the weapons they have.

Everyone else has mostly been busts with the exception of Mahomes who has barely played.  Bridgewater was ok, not great, before the injuries started happening, so he is a really big question mark...can he get back from the injuries is hard enough..then he still needs to be better than he was before he was hurt.  A lot to ask after the gruesome injuries he had.  

I still am very much hoping we trade up, and the guy I personally want the most is Baker.  But its still a scary list you provided with few examples to feel good about other than the new exciting ones who just haven't had enough time to cement their career paths yet.

Outstanding post.  Great perspective.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Maybe true.  I am somewhat risk averse.  I like Mayfield, but he is no sure thing.  Rosen certainly is a talented passer and very smart.  If he is “all that”, though why would Cleveland take Darnold instead and why wouldn’t Jets or Broncos trade up as they have as much to offer as the Bills do.

I'm not sure who Cleveland takes.  They very well could take Rosen and I don't want to trade up for Darnold or Allen.  It would have to be the right situation to move up and I'd be disappointed if we didn't move up, but would take solace in the fact that we have six picks in the first three rounds.  As far as the Broncos and Jets, we have more draft capital than them despite their higher 1st round pick.    

Edited by Doc Brown

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

And in neither of those drafts would trading up resulted in a franchise QB.  With the exception of Stafford in 2009 who went #1 overall and there was no way the Lions were going to part with that pick anyway

I don't know if either of these drafts would have resulted in a franchise QB.  One can never go back.

I will say that overall, I think QB development has sucked in the league and especially on the Bills, and the CBA limitations on off-season coach contact make it worse.

28 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm not sure who Cleveland takes.  They very well could take Rosen and I don't want to trade up for Darnold or Allen.  It would have to be the right situation to move up and I'd be disappointed if we didn't move up, but would take solace in the fact that we have six picks in the first three rounds.  As far as the Broncos and Jets, we have more draft capital than them despite their higher 1st round pick.    

Not true for the Jets and marginally true for the Broncos.

The top of the 3rd pick for Taylor helps a lot, but 21 in each round is worth a lot less than the 5th or 6th pick in each round.

9 hours ago, Foxx said:

your right. lets just continue to do the things we have done for the last 17 years because they have worked so very well.

What have Bills done for QB's Losman, EJ, Edwards. Free Agents or trades, Fitz, Orton, Cassell, Bledsoe, Taylor. I would not call this Good tries. Outside of Bledsoe, where did we ever really get a true Number 1 talent guy in here. Bills have a shot at Qb's 10th pick on, sit back and see what happens. If they want guarantees, Cousins can play, pay to play. Trade for Rivers or Luck, bet they can be gotten. Don't use Buffalo as what to do or don't do for QB's. We rarely risk anything for QB's. Bledsoe and Rob were guys we gave up 1st picks for. Kelly, Losman and EJ the QB's we drafted with 1st picks. That is not a great track record.

9 hours ago, Pbomb said:

Or maybe continuing to not address the qb situation properly is irresponsible

What don't you understand about how many QB's don't make it drafted in the 1st round high. None of these guys are Luck or Manning. Want better odds, get a valid veteran like McCown, draft a guy in late 1st or second round and another guy in 4th and later. Have a wide open camp. Then maybe you have gotten someone better than Taylor for next year. Even that is a 50/50% chance at best. The only sure way is maybe Cousins, trading for Rivers or Luck. There is no other way.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Not true for the Jets and marginally true for the Broncos.

The top of the 3rd pick for Taylor helps a lot, but 21 in each round is worth a lot less than the 5th or 6th pick in each round.

Neither the Jets or Broncos have six picks in the top three rounds.

8 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

We can argue all we want but there are a couple things that remain set in stone.  One is that Beane has said they have to have a WB.  A second is that the front office has a lot more data on the guys in the draft than anyone on this board.  A third is we have no idea if they'll move up or down because we don't have the data they do.  And fourth is no matter who they take, there's a pretty good chance it won't be the right call.  Not because they are inept, but because that is the nature of trying to identify a great QB.

My guess is they sign McCarron and move up to get Rosen.  But if they stay put and take say Rudolph fine by me.  Ultimately none of us know if any of these guys will turn out any good.  

That is because your going after unknown quantities. Want to up your odds, go sign Moore, then sign Cousins, draft Jackson or Rudolph. Draft Price or Daniels as Center. Keep Glenn move to RT. Groy to RG. In second Round get LB, DE. 3rd Round DT, CB. Go to camp and may the best guys play. Now you have gotten better. Somewhere in those four QB's after camp have your for sure starter, Backup and future.

12 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

What have Bills done for QB's Losman, EJ, Edwards. Free Agents or trades, Fitz, Orton, Cassell, Bledsoe, Taylor. I would not call this Good tries. Outside of Bledsoe, where did we ever really get a true Number 1 talent guy in here. Bills have a shot at Qb's 10th pick on, sit back and see what happens. If they want guarantees, Cousins can play, pay to play. Trade for Rivers or Luck, bet they can be gotten. Don't use Buffalo as what to do or don't do for QB's. We rarely risk anything for QB's. Bledsoe and Rob were guys we gave up 1st picks for. Kelly, Losman and EJ the QB's we drafted with 1st picks. That is not a great track record.

What don't you understand about how many QB's don't make it drafted in the 1st round high. None of these guys are Luck or Manning. Want better odds, get a valid veteran like McCown, draft a guy in late 1st or second round and another guy in 4th and later. Have a wide open camp. Then maybe you have gotten someone better than Taylor for next year. Even that is a 50/50% chance at best. The only sure way is maybe Cousins, trading for Rivers or Luck. There is no other way.

What are you even talking about? Qbs at the top of the first round are your best chance at finding a good one. Trade for rivers or luck, these arent even possibilities. Drafting guys like white or lauletta and getting mccown gives the bills better odds than rosen?

8 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

Risk reward?

Reward is finding a talent at QB for the next 15 years. Risk is drafting a boat load of other positions that fail to make enough difference for your team to make them a powerhouse. You want a powerhouse you get a QB. Look at NE without a great QB the dynasty is nothing. Remember when we had a top D how did that go in our playoff hunt?

Like I said earlier you either stink up the league for a season to get one of the top QBs or you trade assets to move up but it still comes down to getting a better talent at QB because without one your team is just not good enough.

NE got lucky with Brady a 6th round pick, they had Bledsoe a 1st over all pick who was fading. Yes a Franchise QB sustains winning long term but getting one isn't by moving up to top of draft wasting picks. You want a shot at Franchise QB's you need to be in Top of draft for 2-3 years. Cleveland has done that and failed. They now have a shot but a fall back guy too. They will draft running back then their QB, it makes sense to have a sure pick with 1 of the top 4 QB's. No One gets up to the top of the draft from 21 without giving up too much. 

10 hours ago, Tsaikotic said:

How is Trubisky a bust already?

Yeah I'm questioning this too...makes zero sense...Goff very well might be great but he isnt yet...he got a lot of help from McVay pre snap...and I mean more than any QB in the NFL

Edited by matter2003

8 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

What do the odds become of finding a guy as more and more qbs come off of the board?  Sitting back and waiting rarely works.  It's time to put our big boy pants on take control and do what this franchise has failed to do for far to long.  Go in at all costs and get their guy they see leading this team for many many years.

Sorry, allot of QB's that are in the league still were the 5-10th QB taken. More QB's taken in the 1st round are out of the league. 

10 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Out of the teams that traded up for 1st round QBs in the past 10 years:

2017:

Chicago for Mitchell Trubisky

Kansas City for Patrick Mahomes

Houston for Deshaun Watson

2016:

Los Angeles for Jared Goff

Philadelphia for Carson Wentz

2015: no one.

2014:

Johnny Manziel

Teddy Bridgewater

2013: no one.

2012:

Washington gave up the farm for RG3.

2011: nobody.

2010: nobody.

2009:

Tampa Bay traded to #17 for Josh Freeman.

2008: Nobody

So out of the 9 QBs taken:

33% have been great.

(Wentz, Goff, Watson)

44% have been busts.

(Freeman, RG3, Trubisky, Manziel)

22% the jury is still out on.

(Bridgewater, Mahomes)

Based on your title, it says 1st round trade for QB, you for EJ Manuel.  

Trubinsky, Goff, Wentz, and RGIII are the QB's that teams have traded up into the top 4 for. Out of those QB's the jury is still out on Trubinsky, Goff and Wentz have a lot of promise to be top 10-5 QB's in the league, and RGIII had a great rookie season before injuries ruined his career. 

Overall I would say that trading for one of the top QB's in the top 5 is a winning proposition. Just look at the QB's that have gone in the top 5 since 2008, it's probably the highest percentage way to land a top QB. 

2017- Trubinsky 

2016- Goff and Wentz

2015- Jamis Winston and Mariota

2014- Blake Bortles

2013- No QB's taken top 5

2012- Andrew Luck and RGIII

2011- Cam Newton

2010- Sam Bradford

2009- Matthew Stafford and Mark Sanchez

2008- Matt Ryan

There are some busts and some QB's the jury is still out on but Ryan, Stafford, Newton, Luck, Winston, Mariota, Goff, and Wentz are all QB's I would love to have. Even RGIII started out his career great until injury completely derailed his career and Borltes was seen as a huge reach when he was taken. Even Sam Bradford was a pretty good QB when healthy. So looking at that bust rate I would trade up for a QB. The Bills have 5 picks in the top 65 and a desperate need for a QB, this is the year to make a big play. 

8 hours ago, JohnnyK said:

I totally agree with not giving up the farm for a trade up, but if the front office identifies a QB as the one they think can be "The Guy" you have to go do what it takes to get him!

especially when u don't have a good QB.

ps I am also not sold on the top 3 or 4 of this draft, the next tier seems just as good to me

pps this draft will have many bust and surprises with all the QBs that will be taken

Go bills get it right!

Have to see what they get next week to decide the risk taken. If they land McCown or Keenum then risk need not be taken. If Moore is grabbed than maybe you want to get the high talented Baker. I have been calling for huge choices, Cousins, Luck or Rivers. You want to play in AFC EAst you must play BIG! If you blow it then start over the next 2 years.

8 hours ago, Steve O said:

add 2010 Tim Tebow to the  list. Guess he would be a bust despite over 50% win record

He is like Flutie, guys that win that noone wants. 

8 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Your issue is easy to understand.  The problem is that if you don’t go get a QB you are locked into perennial mediocrity at best.  The league has so set the rules in favor of the air game that it is hard to win consistently without a franchise QB.

Outside of Bledsoe when have we gone for it after that.

8 hours ago, PeterGriffin said:

Because this is the year if there ever was one to trade up for a QB. 

IMO the Bills gathered 2 - 1st, 2nd, 3rd for the sole purpose of getting a QB because again this is the year to do it.

No one can ever be sure about anything but this is a talent rich QB draft and to be left out with all those assets would IMO get people questioning things and potentially fired. Not the goal with such a QB rich draft.  

Whaley started that collection, McDermott changed that by winning and going to the playoffs. Whaley thought we would be in top 10 of 1st pick, not 21st. Now you have a chance and getting great players, good project QB and a veteran that can play for a year at least. Why squander the better odds. Tell me if you get Price and/or Daniels, Evans LB, Rudolph/Jackson in top 4 picks, possible moving up with a 3rd pick. If you get McCown or Keenum in free agency how are you not better than last year. We have a chance at special or we can throw it all away because we HAVE to have a Franchise QB 1st pick high.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And it was before the time I really watched college football but I can't imagine now knowing what I look for and value in prospects that either Young or Leinart would have floated my boat. I can imagine me having Cutler as my #1 QB with a mid 1st grade... but that is all guesswork really. 

I don't think that class was comparable to this one. 

If I can get Josh Rosen at #2 I am absolutely willing to pay the price to get there. 

Young was one of the best talents all time. He had 400 yards of offense himself in Championship and destroyed the better team. He had all the talent, unfortunately he was a headcase.

27 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Sorry, allot of QB's that are in the league still were the 5-10th QB taken. More QB's taken in the 1st round are out of the league. 

They may be backups or 3rd stringers but the majority of starters in this league were the top few guys chosen. 

4 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

They may be backups or 3rd stringers but the majority of starters in this league were the top few guys chosen. 

Not true, Brady, Cousins, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Wilson, Foles, Wendt, Brees, Staton, Flacco, Taylor, Dalton, McCown, Cutler, Keenum, Carr, Garoppolo all where starters this past year 10th pick or later

Ryan, Newton, Trubisky, Stafford, Bortles, Rivers, Manning, Winston, Mariota, Luck Top 5 picks starting/ hurt this year, It could be said the better QB's are not in the Top 5.

I would take Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, over any of the Top 5 in list. Outside of Luck and maybe Rivers I would take Cousins, Wilson, Carr, Garoppolo over the other QB's in the Top 5.

28 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Not true, Brady, Cousins, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Wilson, Foles, Wendt, Brees, Staton, Flacco, Taylor, Dalton, McCown, Cutler, Keenum, Carr, Garoppolo all where starters this past year 10th pick or later

Ryan, Newton, Trubisky, Stafford, Bortles, Rivers, Manning, Winston, Mariota, Luck Top 5 picks starting/ hurt this year, It could be said the better QB's are not in the Top 5.

I would take Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, over any of the Top 5 in list. Outside of Luck and maybe Rivers I would take Cousins, Wilson, Carr, Garoppolo over the other QB's in the Top 5.

You said 5th to 10th QB taken not 5th to 10th pick very very very big difference.  I mean that really changes everything.  Foles Stanton and keenum were all backups who only played due to injuries.  Cutler was out of the league until Tannehill blew out his knee.  Wentz was the number 2 overall pick.

Brees was the 2nd qb taken in his class

Rodgers was also the 2nd Qb taken 

Big Ben was 3rd

Carr was the 4th QB off the board 

Believe me I'm well aware of the abnormal situation like Brady panning out on the league.  The odds are the more qbs you watch come off the board without taking one the worse your chances of finding a good one are.

Edited by Zebrastripes
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Neither the Jets or Broncos have six picks in the top three rounds.

Please check the value of those picks.  I’ve already done so in other threads.  I think it will surprise you.

Spoiler: Before the Taylor trade Jets picks in rounds 1-3 were worth more than the Bills’ multiple picks and Denver’s weren’t far off.

1 hour ago, Pbomb said:

What are you even talking about? Qbs at the top of the first round are your best chance at finding a good one. Trade for rivers or luck, these arent even possibilities. Drafting guys like white or lauletta and getting mccown gives the bills better odds than rosen?

I think his assumption is that if you have an "open competition" between several late round picks and a second-tier vet who can play like McCown, you will wind up with a better QB on Sunday in the season than by drafting one of the consensus top QB in the draft and focusing on developing him.

It's an interesting idea, but it's been pointed out elsewhere that a mediocre vet like McCown or Fitzpatrick will almost always beat out a rookie in "camp competition" because their years of experience give them a leg up on mastering the playbook.  Whether they're the long term better QB, or even the better QB at NFL regular season speed, is another issue.

40 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Please check the value of those picks.  I’ve already done so in other threads.  I think it will surprise you.

Spoiler: Before the Taylor trade Jets picks in rounds 1-3 were worth more than the Bills’ multiple picks and Denver’s weren’t far off.

If you go strictly by the chart.   Jets round 1-3 = 2770 points.  Broncos round 1 through 3 = 2539 points.  Bills rounds 1 through 3 = 2781.

Whew.  We win by 11 points so game, set, match.  

Points aside, if you're a team like the Colts the idea of getting compensation for two first round picks is tempting.  You could also throw a sweetener in there with a player like Glenn along with draft picks for next season.  It will be a fun draft.

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

If you go strictly by the chart.   Jets round 1-3 = 2770 points.  Broncos round 1 through 3 = 2539 points.  Bills rounds 1 through 3 = 2781.

Whew.  We win by 11 points so game, set, match.  

Points aside, if you're a team like the Colts the idea of getting compensation for two first round picks is tempting.  You could also throw a sweetener in there with a player like Glenn along with draft picks for next season.  It will be a fun draft.

The idea of 2 first round picks (21, 22) being greater than the 5th or 6th and 2nd round picks is “fan speak “

You win nothing by being conservative and not taking any chances.  Ask the Eagles if conservative decisions took them out of the crapper to wearing a ring.  Fans beg for less conservative play calling yet want conservative decision making like this in the offseason...be aggressive for a change. You have to take a chance sometime.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

The idea of 2 first round picks (21, 22) being greater than the 5th or 6th and 2nd round picks is “fan speak “

Not really, they both have their values. First rounders have a 5th year option, for example. Depends on team needs and what positions are strong / weak in the draft as well.