One year ago today...”non-splashy” FA signings

It’s ok to not get excited about guys the Bill sign this offseason. We all want young all-pros for cheap deals, right? Yeah right.

It’s about bringing in players who fit the system and the coaches think can help the team win. The pro personnel dept does a lot of work determining who to go after. Often coaches on the staff have previous background with the players to where they have knowledge of their fit. 

Case in point, last year the new LB coach Bob Babich pointed out Jordan Poyer, a FA who had struggled with injuries and was a 6th round pick for Cleveland. He knew him from coaching there and thought he could contribute. The Bills gave him a decent contract that raised eyebrows as we all thought he must not be anything more than a backup. And yet...

Micah Hyde was a 5th rd pick for the Packers and used as a Swiss Army knife on their secondary which, oh by the way, was brutal! The Pack let him walk.... must not be that great. The Bills paid him what?

and yet....

They won’t get them all right but I won’t bash any of them until I see what happens.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 7

Crazy that going into the season a lot of people (including myself) thought the Bills weakness was going to be in the secondary. (Losing Gilmore, Darby, A Williams retiring, Graham)

And it turned out that it was by far their biggest strength of their team.

Hyde and Poyer were amazing pick-ups, and we don't even have to mention how good Tre White and Gaines were

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, JinxedBill1 said:

After last FA period I'm inclined to trust this staff.  I'll support the process for the time being, gotten only results so far.

The only one who was here is McDermott. Would be interesting to know how much power/input he had, and will have.

Edited by Carey Bender

Hyde and Poyer turned out to be solid signings.  If Bills can get 2 or 3 more solid FA signings this year, it would go a long ways of filling some of the holes currently on this team.  Their draft last year was exceptional.  Definitely need a repeat performance there also.  They need to resolve the QB challenge, either through FA or the draft.  If that happens I believe the core will be there for Bills to be competitive for years to come.  

• Like (+1) 1

i have a buddy that follows the packers very close and he was VERY distraught when they didn't bring hyde back. so i was optimistic about that one. but ya, who knew poyer would come in and do what he did? honestly... by the end of the season poyer may have put together a better overall year.

31 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Crazy that going into the season a lot of people (including myself) thought the Bills weakness was going to be in the secondary. (Losing Gilmore, Darby, A Williams retiring, Graham)

And it turned out that it was by far their biggest strength of their team.

Hyde and Poyer were amazing pick-ups, and we don't even have to mention how good Tre White and Gaines were

Yeah it was a very good group!

I think Hyde and poyer play very well off each other

I hope that losing Gaines and adding Davis works

• Like (+1) 1

I am wondering how active we are going to be this free agency period given the apparent preference to sign players that will not count towards the draft pick compensation formula.  I would not be surprised if there were very few free agent signings of players with expiring contracts and I am not expecting any big splashes in light of our significant needs and relatively limited amount of cap space.

57 minutes ago, richardb1952 said:

Hyde and Poyer turned out to be solid signings.  If Bills can get 2 or 3 more solid FA signings this year, it would go a long ways of filling some of the holes currently on this team.  Their draft last year was exceptional.  Definitely need a repeat performance there also.  They need to resolve the QB challenge, either through FA or the draft.  If that happens I believe the core will be there for Bills to be competitive for years to come.  

and don't forget the importance of Steven Hauschka we got on the 1st day of free agency either. 

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

I was thrilled when we signed Hyde, I was underwhelmed when we signed Poyer.

None of us saw the results that would come from them.

I definitely remember lots of people raving about Hyde in the signing thread.  

I found this interesting tidbit from an article on NFL.com:

A safety with a baseball background? The appeal is real: I was interested in December when Billscoach Sean McDermott talked at a press conference about defensive backs with a baseball background. McDermott likes that. Bills safeties Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer both enjoyed fine 2017 campaigns, with each hauling in five interceptions. Hyde played shortstop in high school and told me that background remains valuable as he backpedals while tracking a ball. Poyer was a college outfielder and said the experience helps now.

"There's tracking it and actually catching it," McDermott told me in Indy. "When a guy can't catch, tracking the ball is a lot of it. That's the baseball part (and) both Jordan and Micah do a phenomenal job of that."

Combine Confidential

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i have a buddy that follows the packers very close and he was VERY distraught when they didn't bring hyde back. so i was optimistic about that one. but ya, who knew poyer would come in and do what he did? honestly... by the end of the season poyer may have put together a better overall year.

most Packers fans tend to trust the GM, for good reason, he tends to draft in the trenches high round every time, so they don't really bother following the offseason.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s ok to not get excited about guys the Bill sign this offseason. We all want young all-pros for cheap deals, right? Yeah right.

It’s about bringing in players who fit the system and the coaches think can help the team win. The pro personnel dept does a lot of work determining who to go after. Often coaches on the staff have previous background with the players to where they have knowledge of their fit. 

Case in point, last year the new LB coach Bob Babich pointed out Jordan Poyer, a FA who had struggled with injuries and was a 6th round pick for Cleveland. He knew him from coaching there and thought he could contribute. The Bills gave him a decent contract that raised eyebrows as we all thought he must not be anything more than a backup. And yet...

Micah Hyde was a 5th rd pick for the Packers and used as a Swiss Army knife on their secondary which, oh by the way, was brutal! The Pack let him walk.... must not be that great. The Bills paid him what?

and yet....

They won’t get them all right but I won’t bash any of them until I see what happens.

Jordan Poyer was actually a 7th rd pick

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

and yet....

That's a cool tweet.  I was excited about Hyde but very few people would have predicted that much productivity from one day of free agency.

Let's hope we have more days like that one in the weeks ahead.