Some team at the combine asked a player if he is gay

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I understand your first 3 points, but in this case, the "World of the NFL" has previously said "you can't ask that".  So, No.

The other side of the point is: are these questions actually an effective way to determine how the player will handle himself when taunted or in any other "everyday life" reaction?  I would put it to you that they pretty well already know if a guy has signs of social media immaturity or being able to be baited on the field/locker room before the interview just as they know his orientation.  In contrast, the Combine interview is an artificial situation - I'm sure handlers/coaches tell their guys these sorts of things may be asked, just keep your cool.  It's nowhere near the "high adrenaline" situation of a football game or a locker room after a chippy practice with guys desperate to make the team.  So IMHO it's an unproductive use of a portion of a very short interview and even understanding it's intended purpose, not likely to be effective. 

If you want to know how the guy reacts to some stress, like I and others have said, show him some film clips of his own bad plays and push him a little on that.  Show him a whiffed block or a missed tackle and say something that insults his manhood as a player.   You can get at a guy's temperment without bringing his female relatives into the room.

I'm with you on both points here. I dont think they should be asking that, for multiple reasons. And the team that asked should be punished. But I also don't think there was any discriminatory intent behind it. It was more stupidity than evil.

I too think it would be more effective to push hard on the player's football ability if you want to get a reaction. Have them come in and open with "So everyone we've talked to about you says your soft on the field". See what happens then. I'd bet hot-headed players would react more to that.

:thumbsup:

18 hours ago, JohnC said:

If Rivers was asked if he liked making babies his response would have been yes. 

Ha!  I got to say I like Rivers.  Man can problem-solve.  Move family or sacrifice prep time?  Throw some money and some customization at the problem, and vote "neither."

According to a 2017 story by San Diego Union-Tribune reporter Kevin Acee,[134]

Rivers lives as about as modestly as one can when his career earnings are bumping up against $200 million. His primary mode of transportation is a 2008 Ford F250. He wears cowboy boots – real ones, plain brown, nothing made of a swamp creature or rare bird. His dress shirts are Western cut and have shiny buttons.

Despite his simple tastes, he made a major investment in a customized SUV shortly after the Chargers' move to the Los Angeles area. Rivers and his wife had toured schools and neighborhoods in Orange County, more specifically in the general vicinity of the Chargers' new Costa Mesa practice facility, during the 2017 offseason, but decided not to move. In order to make the 80-mile (130 km) one-way commute productive, he spent roughly $200,000 to convert a large SUV into a rolling film room. The rear seats were torn out and replaced by two forward-facing, fully reclining seats; a 40-inch (100 cm) TV screen was installed in the cabin divider; and satellite TV, Wi-Fi, and a cooler were also installed. The setup, including a driver that Rivers hired, allows him and backup quarterback Kellen Clemens (who had long been his carpooling partner) to analyze game videos during the commute. As he would tell Acee,[134]

My two biggest things were my family time and my preparation and what I owe this football team. I was not going to sacrifice either of them in any big proportion. I can look at all the pluses and minuses and say, ‘OK. This does it.’ This allows me to get home in the 6 to 7 hour, which is when I got home the last 11 years, and it allows me to watch all or more of the film I watched before.

21 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

THIS. 

They ask these types of questions routinely to see how they react, not for their answer. 

No Psychology Exam in any State or Federal agency asks you questions pertaining to your sexual orientation. And the questions arent “worse”. 

I dont know what goes on in podunk towns across America though. 

15 hours ago, T-Bomb said:

I think it should only be against the law for gov't positions, private companies IMO should be able to ask whatever they want, it's their money.

I don't see the need for any more "tightening up", we already have way too much of that in this country.

Huh.  Those private companies - they depend upon any services funded by the citizens and provided by governments?  Roads, interstate highways, airports, police, fire?  They get any tax breaks from governments?

My point is, your thoughts are naive.  If the fact that "it's their money" should control what's expected, then private companies in this country are FAR removed from being little isolated monetary islands - it's not just their money.  Private companies can and do receive far more autonomy than government entities in setting their own standards for employment, but just as at some point the private company intersects with the public sphere in the matter of services, at some point the private company intersects with the public sphere in the matter of public interest and citizen rights.  I've never seen an argument that doesn't boil down to being about "where you personally draw that line" not about whether there is a public interest ("a line").

And moving to PPP in 3...2...1...

8 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

No Psychology Exam in any State or Federal agency asks you questions pertaining to your sexual orientation.

Doubt they ask about the prostitution habits of your momma, either.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ha!  I got to say I like Rivers.  Man can problem-solve.  Move family or sacrifice prep time?  Throw some money and some customization at the problem, and vote "neither."

According to a 2017 story by San Diego Union-Tribune reporter Kevin Acee,[134]

Rivers lives as about as modestly as one can when his career earnings are bumping up against $200 million. His primary mode of transportation is a 2008 Ford F250. He wears cowboy boots – real ones, plain brown, nothing made of a swamp creature or rare bird. His dress shirts are Western cut and have shiny buttons.

Despite his simple tastes, he made a major investment in a customized SUV shortly after the Chargers' move to the Los Angeles area. Rivers and his wife had toured schools and neighborhoods in Orange County, more specifically in the general vicinity of the Chargers' new Costa Mesa practice facility, during the 2017 offseason, but decided not to move. In order to make the 80-mile (130 km) one-way commute productive, he spent roughly $200,000 to convert a large SUV into a rolling film room. The rear seats were torn out and replaced by two forward-facing, fully reclining seats; a 40-inch (100 cm) TV screen was installed in the cabin divider; and satellite TV, Wi-Fi, and a cooler were also installed. The setup, including a driver that Rivers hired, allows him and backup quarterback Kellen Clemens (who had long been his carpooling partner) to analyze game videos during the commute. As he would tell Acee,[134]

My two biggest things were my family time and my preparation and what I owe this football team. I was not going to sacrifice either of them in any big proportion. I can look at all the pluses and minuses and say, ‘OK. This does it.’ This allows me to get home in the 6 to 7 hour, which is when I got home the last 11 years, and it allows me to watch all or more of the film I watched before.

I like you am a fan of Rivers. When his career is over he is going to be a serious HOF candidate. Looking back on the Charger draft day deal with the Giants for Eli it is fair to say that it was a good deal for both teams. If anyone says that the Chargers got the better of the deal I won't say that they were wrong. 

The moral to the story is when you change a lot of poopy diapers you can't help but to stay grounded. Do you know what Rivers's wife says to him when he gets that twinkle in his eyes and is ready to go to be? I'm tired! 

9 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

YES they do.

Name the state or federal agency that does so on a Psych Exam.

you know, the written exam that has about 200 questions that, in the end, are multiple variations of each other. 

Which of those several hundred questions asks:  “Are you a homosexual?”

• 1 month later...

I heard Rapoport on NFLN this morning saying that NFL teams now believe that Guice made up these accusations for some reason. If that is true, he will definitely drop down in the draft. He even went so far as to say one team told him that Guice admitted that he made it up and it never really happened. (repeated in article below) Very strange.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23317926/nfl-investigation-says-no-evidence-lsu-tigers-rb-derrius-guice-was-asked-invasive-questions-combine

"The league spent weeks trying to figure out who had asked Guice these questions. At least one team said Guice admitted that he "made up" the statements that led to a lengthy NFL investigation, according to a source."

15 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I heard Rapoport on NFLN this morning saying that NFL teams now believe that Guice made up these accusations for some reason. If that is true, he will definitely drop down in the draft. He even went so far as to say one team told him that Guice admitted that he made it up and it never really happened. (repeated in article below) Very strange.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23317926/nfl-investigation-says-no-evidence-lsu-tigers-rb-derrius-guice-was-asked-invasive-questions-combine

"The league spent weeks trying to figure out who had asked Guice these questions. At least one team said Guice admitted that he "made up" the statements that led to a lengthy NFL investigation, according to a source."

If it's true he made them up, he should drop. 

But then there's this:  it's been known to happen that investigators don't believe an account of a crime, and push and push and push and the victim RECANTS - sometimes is charged with making a false report -then later, hard evidence surfaces that they were right in their account and the crime actually occurred

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If it's true he made them up, he should drop. 

But then there's this:  it's been known to happen that investigators don't believe an account of a crime, and push and push and push and the victim RECANTS - sometimes is charged with making a false report -then later, hard evidence surfaces that they were right in their account and the crime actually occurred

I agree that there is a possibility he "recanted" his story as a way to try and put it behind him. But according to the report I heard this morning, NFL teams are doubting that it ever happened, which means the damage to his reputation is already done.

1 minute ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I think it says more about the guy asking the question than the guy being asked. I’ve always noticed that lots of guys in athletics have a strange fascination with homosexuality. 

Unless no one actually asked the question, which they are now reporting, then it definitely reflects poorly on the player who apparently made it up for some reason.

3 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Unless no one actually asked the question, which they are now reporting, then it definitely reflects poorly on the player who apparently made it up for some reason.

No question. It’s such a he said she said thing, there is no way we’ll ever know the truth. 

Ahhh, the world of Gen Z, where taking offence to anything and everything is the new norm. It's not a question I would ask nor would I care if a team mate was gay. But the overreaction to this type of thing is contrived. The new Twittersphere we live in has a lot to answer for. 

Political correctness and virtue signalling gone mad.

Edited by SydneyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

No question. It’s such a he said she said thing, there is no way we’ll ever know the truth. 

Well the report is that Guice, who made the claim, is now recanting it after the NFL investigated and couldn't find a team who admitted it.

Which would make it a he didn't say, he didn't say thing

Unless of course Guice was pressured to recant

18 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

If you're being paid millions of dollars to play a game its a fair question, you better believe that when a corporate CEO is hired the board of directors will know everything about that guy including if he's gay.

Why are they asking the question?  Why does it matter so much that they need to know?  I don't understand this part.  If they are using the info to treat the player any differently than yes, the team can go F itself.