Some team at the combine asked a player if he is gay

3 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I would tell them to not draft me and walk out.  What they do with their lives is their business not the NFL teams or the fans.  Not okay at all.  Disgusted that some fans think that is fine.  Get your nose out of other people's lives.  The media needs to do the same and let the players live without a spotlight on their heads 24/7.  

It all becomes very relevant when part of what the players are demanding from teams is a platform for social advocacy.  If your goal is to use your job as a platform to push your belief system, your employer has every right to know what you'll be wanting to use their brand to sell.

2 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Neanderthals actually were good looking and highly intelligent, they were largely responsible for intellectual growth through genetic mutations. They are extinct because they were to successful for their own good, they were essentially bred out of existence. White people get their red and blonde hair from Neanderthals, but I get what you are trying to say.

If I substituted dinosaurs for Neanderthals would that be more acceptable? :)

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

These football guys are such meatheads.

It would be helpful if they just tried to have a normal conversation and see if the player's IQ is shockingly low, low, or surprisingly slightly below average.

That's useful info.  

This.  Or, if you want to know how a player takes coaching, find something in his game you can drill in on: show a clip of a critical block he whiffed on and drill in on that to see how he takes it or something.  Diagram a play and ask him to teach it to you.  Do something useful.

15 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

It's just so unnecessary and stupid to ask questions like this. Hope the team gets fined or loses a draft pick.

And to the idiot saying it's to gauge how they react, let's see you do that in any other kind of job interview and see what happens. You'd get sued. It's LITERALLY against the law to ask this kind of question. 

You dont get it, this is completely different, the NFL and sports are a billion dollar business and therefore must do things that break the law so they can protect their money in case some player ever is asked a personal question and flips out which would just destroy the league entirely.....

Because the players are always asked questions about their personal live daily by reporters. Don't you get sick of home many times ESPN reporters ask Tom Brady about his sexuality... 

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I don't think that one should say anything to any other person without checking in with Hillary Clinton and the New World Order to make sure that its politically correct. And I don't care if the kid is going to receive 20 million dollars or so in a month or 2. What's right is right!

This isn't an issue of political correctness or associated with any party or political leanings. At this time and place it is such a stupid and ignorant thing to ask someone. What makes this situation even more foolish is that this particular interview situation in the NFL has happened before and has drawn a scathing response, as it should. Sometimes there are novel situations where people don't know how to act and their intentions weren't intended to be offensive.  This wasn't the case, or at least it shouldn't have been. 

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

Boy, I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall if/when someone asked Ray Lewis this kind of question....

Or Bruce Smith for that matter....

"Hey Bruce, is it true your mother's a whore?"

Bruce looks at interviewer like:

s-l640.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Doesn't this happen every year?

Phillip Rivers, who was drafted 14 years ago, said that teams intentionally try to get under your skin to see how you react to "adversity".

They inquired about Guice's mom hooking, ffs.

If Rivers was asked if he liked making babies his response would have been yes. 

58 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

It all becomes very relevant when part of what the players are demanding from teams is a platform for social advocacy.  If your goal is to use your job as a platform to push your belief system, your employer has every right to know what you'll be wanting to use their brand to sell.

Can't ask about those things in job interviews...those are job interviews.  

8 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Can't ask about those things in job interviews...those are job interviews.  

I don't know that it's as cut and dried as you're making it out to be.  A job offer cannot be extended by the team.

And again, you can't ignore the fact that players are demanding an official NFL social advocacy platform for their beliefs.  Teams have a right to know what those beliefs are.

3 hours ago, FrankoElTanko said:

Yea... except they're not future cops in the field... they are 20-24yo who are interviewing for a job as an athlete, how are those similar? 

I'm not sure what you're having trouble with, the NFL scouts/staff are giving them Psychological evaluations is what I just said that is what's similar.

I skipped ahead, so maybe this was discussed. I was shocked (and disappointed) at the results of a quick Google search regarding protected classes. Sexual orientation is indeed a protected class in some respects (such as housing and federal employment), and it can be against company policy (and often is, such as with the NFL).  But it can also be permissible in some employment situations. 

Is that correct? Does anyone know or have you found something different? If that’s in fact true, it seems we need to tighten things up a bit. 

Oh, and it’s stupid regardless....