Some team at the combine asked a player if he is gay

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

What kind of a moron asks someone something like this in a job interview. If Goodell was worth a lick, which IMHO he isn't, he'd find out right away who this was an make an example out of him. Pathetic.

Take a state police lie detector test for a job and you will see these questions are actually more on the sensitive side then what is asked at the conbine.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I can't believe you really think that the two questions are comparable.  

It has nothing to do with what I believe and has everything to do with what you said. You said they can't ask because it's what he does on his private time. You have broken the life of Guice into two groups: Personal and professional. You put his sexual orientation into the personal group and said it does not affect his professional side and thus asking a question about it is an invasion. Then you said that asking if he reads or plays playstation, which is personal, is fine to ask. 

Why one and not the other? 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

“Tell me a specific time that someone said something negative about you on social media and how did you feel?” “You responded with _____. Why?” The reality the teams probably already knows the answer here. 

The whole reason for the question is to make the player uncomfortable. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

If at the end of the conversation, is the team going to offer him a job that he can accept or deny on the spot? Without that, I don't know how it can be considered a job interview. 

You don’t consider these as job interviews?!? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

You don’t consider these as job interviews?!? 

I think there is ambiguity. I hire people in my job and I cannot ask about sexual preference in an official job interview as it may be construed as discrimination. 

If i am having a conversation with someone on the street I can ask them whatever I want. I am not saying what they are or are not, but rather speaking towards how the law would view them. 

If the law views them as official job interviews (which I think would be a stretch) then the question itself is illegal. 

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

It has nothing to do with what I believe and has everything to do with what you said. You said they can't ask because it's what he does on his private time. You have broken the life of Guice into two groups: Personal and professional. You put his sexual orientation into the personal group and said it does not affect his professional side and thus asking a question about it is an invasion. Then you said that asking if he reads or plays playstation, which is personal, is fine to ask. 

Why one and not the other? 

Because clearly sex life, religion, political beliefs are personnel in a way that your interests and hobbies are not.  It isn't that difficult to work out why.  

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

The whole reason for the question is to make the player uncomfortable. 

It kind of outrages me that so many in here do not understand why the questions are asked lol 

And then people in here compare their interview experience with these NFL interviews, as if they are in any way, shape or form comparable lol 

NFL players are public figures. Most NFL players do not share most of our upbringings and back grounds. Most of these players do not come from stable families who had strong parents who taught them how to appropriately handle difficult situations. These questions are just another tool for scouts to determine what genetic make up and characters of men they might be handing millions of dollars to and/or making the face of their billion dollar franchise. 

"well in my interview experience..." lol, not...even...comparable! 

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

How can you say one is an invasion of privacy and the other isn't? 

Do you not understand the concept of workplace discrimination? It's the main reason these kinds of questions aren't asked in job interviews.

Just now, whatdrought said:

I think there is ambiguity. I hire people in my job and I cannot ask about sexual preference in an official job interview as it may be construed as discrimination. 

If i am having a conversation with someone on the street I can ask them whatever I want. I am not saying what they are or are not, but rather speaking towards how the law would view them. 

If the law views them as official job interviews (which I think would be a stretch) then the question itself is illegal. 

So here we are discussing if they are even legal, not even if they are inappropriate!! That’s the point. If they are anywhere near that line it’s inappropriate. 

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

To be fair under UK law... I can't speak for the US... if the candidate felt that it formed some part of the recruitment process then they would likely be successful in arguing that the question could be being asked in such a way as to discriminate against their job prospects even if it wasn't asked in the formal "interview".  

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Because clearly sex life, religion, political beliefs are personnel in a way that your interests and hobbies are not.  It isn't that difficult to work out why.  

I understand why you're saying that, and I agree.... But the point that I am making is that either personal life affects professional life or it doesn't.

If it does, then a personal question about something like religion, politics, or sexual life ought to be fair game while trying to decide who this person is as much as asking them about their interests and hobby. 

If it doesn't affect professional life, then they shouldn't be allowed to ask about hobbies and interests.