Sal Capaccio: Five Offensive Free Agents Who Could Fit the Bills

33 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

As the official Richardson ambassador of this forum, I offer the following alternatives if indeed his price goes up to high: sign Albert Wilson, sign Taylor Gabriel, offer LAC a 5th round pick for Travis Benjamin

Have no input other than "thanks for the options"

I don't know enough about those guys lol

44 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

So you don't want good WRs until we know we have a good QB, but how are we going to know we have a QB who is good without good WRs?

If you evaluate a guy to be worth the money / draft slot and fit with the team, sign/draft them.  It doesn't matter when the talent is added if they are on the field week 1.

So we pay Richardson 10 million a year and then what do we do with Benjamin? He will easily get over 10 million a year. We are talking about 20 million minimum tied up in WR with no QB on a run first team playing in a stadium that's notorious for bad weather.

48 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

lots of holes, have to try to fill some via free agency to give yourself draft flexibility

And we could sign Richardson, and STILL draft a WR

Use FA to fill as many holes as reasonable so that you can either use picks to make your move for QB or draft BPA 

I'm all ears to drafting a WR, but Richardson seems like the type of player to bring in if you're one piece away, not for a team that is in full rebuild mode.

3 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

So we pay Richardson 10 million a year and then what do we do with Benjamin? He will easily get over 10 million a year. We are talking about 20 million minimum tied up in WR with no QB on a run first team playing in a stadium that's notorious for bad weather.

$10M AAV for Richardson seems outrageous.

His best season--by a significant margin--was 700 yards and 6 TDs.  Mo Sanu had better career numbers 2 years ago and got $6M.  Maybe with 10% inflation per year he gets slightly more than $7M AAV.

14 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I'm all ears to drafting a WR, but Richardson seems like the type of player to bring in if you're one piece away, not for a team that is in full rebuild mode.

I wouldnt say we are in full rebuild mode. I would say we are, just like we were last year, continuing to build a team. There are two ways to build a team, through FA and the draft. It is good to use both avenues.

Why wouldn't Richardson be good for a team that is building? Wouldn't having as many good players as possible help build a team? 

2 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I wouldnt say we are in full rebuild mode. I would say we are, just like we were last year, continuing to build a team. There are two ways to build a team, through FA and the draft. It is good to use both avenues.

Why wouldn't Richardson be good for a team that is building? Wouldn't having as many good players as possible help build a team? 

He is a good player, no doubt, I just think he is going to get over paid and I think our ideas on how to build a team are different.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

As the official Richardson ambassador of this forum, I offer the following alternatives if indeed his price goes up to high: sign Albert Wilson, sign Taylor Gabriel, offer LAC a 5th round pick for Travis Benjamin

How about a 4th for Bryant or Cobb? 

3 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

He is a good player, no doubt, I just think he is going to get over paid and I think our ideas on how to build a team are different.

Ok, him being over paid is an entirely different issue than not bringing in good players. 

If we can get good players, we should get the good players.

Not having a QB on the roster is not a reason to not get the future QB weapons to use once he is acquired. That is ridiculous thinking. Put the pieces around your future QB so he can succeed when we do have him (which, by the way, by all indications, will happen in this draft). 

Also, since we will likely be using a lot of draft resources this year to acquire out QB, we should do some work in FA to fill roster holes to put that QB in the best position to succeed (Get him some additional weapons). I am not making the case for Richardson only, though I do think he is the best downfield weapon currently available and that is something our current roster is missing. 

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

How about a 4th for Bryant or Cobb? 

I really thought that you'd hear a LOT more about Cobb being moved this offseason; flipping a 4th for him was actually on the table for me prior to the 2017 trade deadline--you absolutely knew that they were going to keep Adams.

I would find it amazing if GB decided to go into the season with $47.7M in cap space dedicated to Nelson/Cobb/Adams.   If Cobb were traded, his new team would be on the hook for $9,468,750 against the cap.  If Nelson were traded, that number would be $10,218,750.  If I contrast that with a guy like Bryant, who barely counts against the cap as it is, it's a no-brainer.  The middle-of-the-road option for a trade is Travis Benjamin; he probably takes the least compensation to acquire, and his new team would pay $5.75M against the cap for him.

8 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Ok, him being over paid is an entirely different issue than not bringing in good players. 

If we can get good players, we should get the good players.

Not having a QB on the roster is not a reason to not get the future QB weapons to use once he is acquired. That is ridiculous thinking. Put the pieces around your future QB so he can succeed when we do have him (which, by the way, by all indications, will happen in this draft). 

Also, since we will likely be using a lot of draft resources this year to acquire out QB, we should do some work in FA to fill roster holes to put that QB in the best position to succeed (Get him some additional weapons). I am not making the case for Richardson only, though I do think he is the best downfield weapon currently available and that is something our current roster is missing. 

Where did it say not bring in good players? I'm concerned with cap space, team identity and the logistics between tying up 20 million between Benjamin and Richardson on a run first team in a stadium that has conditions not conducive to a passing team.

As far as QB and the draft is concerned, i dont see us trading the farm for a QB, we will be building through the draft. McD said that we are not as close as people think and Beane has said publicly he has no intention of moving up.

We are not a pass first team, to tie up 20 million on two WRs (and to borrow your words) is 'ridiculous' and 'stupid'. We aren't going to win a championship as a pass first team, we need to build up our running attack and defense. I'm fine with adding a burner, but I'm not okay with tying up that much money on receivers for a team that plays in our type of weather and conditions.

Once again, our idea on how to build a team is dramatically different.

Just now, NewDayBills said:

Where did it say not bring in good players? I'm concerned with cap space, team identity and the logistics between tying up 20 million between Benjamin and Richardson on a run first team in a stadium that has conditions not conducive to a passing team.

As far as QB and the draft is concerned, i dont see us trading the farm for a QB, we will be building through the draft. McD said that we are not as close as people think and Beane has said publicly he has no intention of moving up.

We are not a pass first team, to tie up 20 million on two WRs (and to borrow your words) is 'ridiculous' and 'stupid'. We aren't going to win a championship as a pass first team, we need to build up our running attack and defense. I'm fine with adding a burner, but I'm not okay with tying up that much money on receivers for a team that plays in our type of weather and conditions.

Once again, our idea on how to build a team is dramatically different.

I understand the comment about not tying up too many resources in the WR position, but there is no guarantee Richardson will command that kind of money..you may THINK that but we do not know yet. If we were to offer a reasonable contract and he accepts, then its no where near the money you speculate. I agree we shouldn't tie up too much resources in WR though. I do disagree about our stadium conditions not being conducive to throwing, Jim Kelly says hi. 

We have no clue what McBeane are planning to do in the draft regardless of what they say. They seem like really smart guys, and really smart guys should realize you need a franchise QB to succeed in the NFL. Therefore, If I was a betting man I would bet they use their resources and build through the draft by acquiring the most important position on the team, QB. 

I don't think our idea on how to build a team is actually that different. You are just confusing what I was referring to with Richardson. Build the trenches, build through the draft, sign key FAs when we identify those who will have the most impact (we paid for Hyde and it worked out, we didnt pay so much for Poyer and it worked out, just as two examples).

2 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I understand the comment about not tying up too many resources in the WR position, but there is no guarantee Richardson will command that kind of money..you may THINK that but we do not know yet. If we were to offer a reasonable contract and he accepts, then its no where near the money you speculate. I agree we shouldn't tie up too much resources in WR though. I do disagree about our stadium conditions not being conducive to throwing, Jim Kelly says hi. 

We have no clue what McBeane are planning to do in the draft regardless of what they say. They seem like really smart guys, and really smart guys should realize you need a franchise QB to succeed in the NFL. Therefore, If I was a betting man I would bet they use their resources and build through the draft by acquiring the most important position on the team, QB. 

I don't think our idea on how to build a team is actually that different. You are just confusing what I was referring to with Richardson. Build the trenches, build through the draft, sign key FAs when we identify those who will have the most impact (we paid for Hyde and it worked out, we didnt pay so much for Poyer and it worked out, just as two examples).

Jim Kelly is a HOF QB, very few QBs can sling the ball the way he did at RWS in the weather conditions he did, he is the exception, not the standard and nowhere did I say I didn't want a franchise QB, I just don't think we should trade the farm for one. If one of the big 4 fall to 10, I think the risk to reward ratio is a lot more safer at that point. There is no alpha QB in this class, no Matt Ryan, no Matt Stafford, Jared Goff or Carson Wentz. Every QB has holes this year, there are rumblings that Josh Allen may go #1, let that sink in. This is not the draft to trade the farm for, stay put, of one falls package #21 along with one of our 2nds and move up.

6 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Jim Kelly is a HOF QB, very few QBs can sling the ball the way he did at RWS in the weather conditions he did, he is the exception, not the standard and nowhere did I say I didn't want a franchise QB, I just don't think we should trade the farm for one. If one of the big 4 fall to 10, I think the risk to reward ratio is a lot more safer at that point. There is no alpha QB in this class, no Matt Ryan, no Matt Stafford, Jared Goff or Carson Wentz. Every QB has holes this year, there are rumblings that Josh Allen may go #1, let that sink in. This is not the draft to trade the farm for, stay put, of one falls package #21 along with one of our 2nds and move up.

In your opinion there arent any "Alpha QBs", I, and many, disagree. In the future we wont have the ammo or the high draft pick (hopefully) to trade up to get that franchise QB). Strike while the iron is hot. 

MANY QBs have strong enough arms to deal with the conditions at the Ralph. I sit in the stands for every home game, conditions are overblown. There might be one game every few years where the conditions are terrible, in which case, NO QB can throw. All of the top QBs in this draft have good enough arms to throw the ball in Buffalo lol 

Keeping comp picks in mind, this is what I would do: 

WR: Allen Hurns: I know he hasn't been released yet, but I really think he will. Jacksonville is a cap crunch and they can save 7 million with no dead money if they move on from Hurns. He has a lot of ability, but has had a lot of injury issues. 26, 6-3 with a thousand yard season a few years ago and good speed. 

TE: Levine Toilolo: Big guy, good blocker released from the Falcons. Adds a good 2/3 behind Clay and O'Leary. 

CB: Buster Skrine, slot corner who is good in zone. I think Skrine gets cut by the Jets. Really good speed and knows the AFC East. 

MLB: I'm taking a flyer on Brian Cushing...I know PEDs and such, but the guy can play and is a hard worker and a leader. McBeane just signed another PED guy in Odighizuwa. Plus Cushing has some familiarity with John Butler on our defensive staff. He would be a stop gap for a year or two until we find a true MIKE for this defense. Maybe its Evans, or Vander Esche, but our MIKE is not on the team right now and free agency does not look good. I'd also keep an eye on New England too see if they cut Shea McClellin. I think he could effectively play the SAM or MIKE in our defense. 

DT: Corey Luiget: Could be cut from the Chargers. Got a big contract and some of his production fell off, but I think he is a better player than he ahs shown and I'd love to see him work in a 4-3. 

None of those guys would count towards comp picks and, besides Hurns, would probably be on the cheaper end of things. 

In terms of actual UFAs: 

WR: If we can't get Hurns, I like Richardson and Allen Robinson as well as Donte Moncrief. I'd be fine happy with any of the three. 

C: Ryan Jensen: Developed under Juan Castillo and found a home at center. A nasty player who is young and tough with good size. He is also versatile as he has played center, tackle, and guard.  

DT: If Luiget doesn't get cut, I think you have to sign someone here as a UFA. Not sure who, because these guys are always expensive. I really like DaQuan Jones, still young and yet to play in a 4-3. I'd like to see him get that chance.  Richardson is a great fit, but not sure we could make that happen. 

The only UFAs we have that will be of interest to other teams are Kyle, Matthews, Brown, Gaines, and probably Deonte Thompson. So I think we are limited to something like 2-3 actual UFAs if Beane is actually  going to play the comp pick game. 

36 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I really thought that you'd hear a LOT more about Cobb being moved this offseason; flipping a 4th for him was actually on the table for me prior to the 2017 trade deadline--you absolutely knew that they were going to keep Adams.

I would find it amazing if GB decided to go into the season with $47.7M in cap space dedicated to Nelson/Cobb/Adams.   If Cobb were traded, his new team would be on the hook for $9,468,750 against the cap.  If Nelson were traded, that number would be $10,218,750.  If I contrast that with a guy like Bryant, who barely counts against the cap as it is, it's a no-brainer.  The middle-of-the-road option for a trade is Travis Benjamin; he probably takes the least compensation to acquire, and his new team would pay $5.75M against the cap for him.

I don’t hate Benjamin as an option.

Bryant and Richardson are at the top of my list. Cobb was a thought because I don’t see GB keeping all 3. Adams is obviously there and I think that they’d pick Nelson. Cobb has regressed some but could be a nice addition opposite Benjamin. 

They have to find a 1or 2 (depending on how you view Benjamin. They need a guy with a different skill set but similar talent (if that makes sense). 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t hate Benjamin as an option.

Bryant and Richardson are at the top of my list. Cobb was a thought because I don’t see GB keeping all 3. Adams is obviously there and I think that they’d pick Nelson. Cobb has regressed some but could be a nice addition opposite Benjamin. 

They have to find a 1or 2 (depending on how you view Benjamin. They need a guy with a different skill set but similar talent (if that makes sense). 

Yes, exactly.  Assuming Zay can extract himself from the proverbial crapper, they have a slot guy, and I don't hate Andre Holmes as a WR4.  You hope that between Streater, Reilly, and Dupre, you have WR5-6 covered.  You have to get that boundary guy with speed that can threaten defenses over the top and run inward-breaking routes that will make defenses pay if they choose to only protect themselves deep.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

In your opinion there arent any "Alpha QBs", I, and many, disagree. In the future we wont have the ammo or the high draft pick (hopefully) to trade up to get that franchise QB). Strike while the iron is hot. 

MANY QBs have strong enough arms to deal with the conditions at the Ralph. I sit in the stands for every home game, conditions are overblown. There might be one game every few years where the conditions are terrible, in which case, NO QB can throw. All of the top QBs in this draft have good enough arms to throw the ball in Buffalo lol 

There is no slam dunk prospect this year, there are some very good prospects, but if Josh Allen is the #1 rated prospect, you got problems and that doesn't mean he can't be good, he could be the next Big Ben or he can be the next Paxton Lynch or Brock Osweiler.

Btw, the conditions at RWS are hazardous at best, there are wind swirls that can carry a football into the air and the stadium is built on top of a graveyard.

Also, I think if we are patient, we walk away with a nice QB prospect while not having to give up much at all. We can get our QB and keep our draft picks IMO.

12 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Yes, exactly.  Assuming Zay can extract himself from the proverbial crapper, they have a slot guy, and I don't hate Andre Holmes as a WR4.  You hope that between Streater, Reilly, and Dupre, you have WR5-6 covered.  You have to get that boundary guy with speed that can threaten defenses over the top and run inward-breaking routes that will make defenses pay if they choose to only protect themselves deep.

Pryor?

15 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

There is no slam dunk prospect this year, there are some very good prospects, but if Josh Allen is the #1 rated prospect, you got problems and that doesn't mean he can't be good, he could be the next Big Ben or he can be the next Paxton Lynch or Brock Osweiler.

Btw, the conditions at RWS are hazardous at best, there are wind swirls that can carry a football into the air and the stadium is built on top of a graveyard.

Also, I think if we are patient, we walk away with a nice QB prospect while not having to give up much at all. We can get our QB and keep our draft picks IMO.

1. Josh Allen is # 1 - says you

2. harazdous at best - says the guy who obviously hasnt been to bills games? Until late november, so more than half of our home games, weather is not a factor. And then in December most years, the "wind swirls" dont even effect the passing game. This is a fallacy. Maybe if we were talking about kickers here. 

3. I agree we could maybe wait and pick one. But I trust our FO. If they think they need to trade up to grab the guy they identify as being the best QB in this class, I am all for giving up whatever is necessary to do so. Would you give up three full drafts to have Tom Brady 8 years ago? Or Aaron Rodgers 8 years ago? I sure would. That guy COULD be in this draft, will never know unless we take a chance. 

Edited by PaattMaann

Just now, PaattMaann said:

1. Josh Allen is # 1 - says you

2. harazdous at best - says the guy who obviously hasnt been to bills games? Until late november, so more than half of our home games, weather is not a factor. And then most years, the "wind swirls" dont even effect the passing game. This is a fallacy. Maybe if we were talking about kickers here. 

3. I agree we could maybe wait and pick one. But I trust our FO. If they think they need to trade up to grab the guy they identify as being the best QB in this class, I am all for giving up whatever is necessary to do so. Would you give up three full drafts to have Tom Brady 8 years ago? Or Aaron Rodgers 8 years ago? I sure would. That guy COULD be in this draft, will never know unless we take a chance. 

#1. Josh Allen says Mike Mayock and other insiders who say the BROWNS are considering him at 1.

#2. I don't go every year, but I've been to games where it has rained in the 1st half and my clothes were drenched and by the 2nd half the temperature was below freezing. Quit pretending like RWS is like playing in a dome, not true.

#3. From a sheer numbers standpoint, I mean at least 2-3 of the QBs this year are going to be long term starters in the NFL, I mean you got Allen, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson, Rudolph, White, Lauletta, etc. It's just a numbers game at this point, maybe we have to move up 5-10 spots, maybe we can just stand PAT, but I don't think we do something drastic and trade up to #2 or anything.

On March 7, 2018 at 10:01 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that’s in the ballpark. The Bills need a 1 or 2 though and it won’t be easy to land in the draft. I think that they can fill out the rest of the WR room fairly easily.

If they find Richardson to be too expensive maybe they try to swing a trade for a WR? I’ll throw a couple of names out: Martavis Bryant, Emmanuel Sanders, TY Hilton, Willie Sneed, a GB receiver or Josh Gordon. I’m not sure if any (or all) of these guys could be had but it is worth picking up the phone.

Kirby, how about John Brown from Arizona? The guy has speed and is a return man. Can probably get him at a good price too. I think he was more consistent as a receiver than Goodwin.

9 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Kirby, how about John Brown from Arizona? The guy has speed and is a return man. Can probably get him at a good price too. I think he was more consistent as a receiver than Goodwin.

I like Brown too. He would be a nice, cost-effective addition. The Bills need some speed.

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I like Brown too. He would be a nice, cost-effective addition. The Bills need some speed.

They desperately need some speed at WR, so bad I don't think you could put a price on it right now. They need someone that can keep teams from dropping a safety down in the box, someone like Sammy(I'm not saying Sammy , but someone who can command that attention). That opens the field up for everyone especially Shady. I don't know if that can be accomplished this year or not, but it's one of the bigger needs that would make and would make an immediate impact on the team.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/8/2018 at 8:14 AM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I love Richardson but I don't see him coming to Buffalo. We would have to over pay for him big time. I am expecting Zay Jones to have a good 2nd year as long as Taylor is not the one passing him the football.

‘Expect’ all you want. But there was zero evidence of it from his rookie campaign.

Anyway, I want Sammy back!

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

They desperately need some speed at WR, so bad I don't think you could put a price on it right now. They need someone that can keep teams from dropping a safety down in the box, someone like Sammy(I'm not saying Sammy , but someone who can command that attention). That opens the field up for everyone especially Shady. I don't know if that can be accomplished this year or not, but it's one of the bigger needs that would make and would make an immediate impact on the team.

Couldn’t agree more, look at the yards per carry last year vs. the year before.

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:48 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

Richardson is such an obvious fit. He’s going to be in demand but makes TONS of sense for the Bills.

How much would you be willing to pay him? Because of the cost and not the talent I don't see Buffalo aggressively pursuing him. 

22 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

‘Expect’ all you want. But there was zero evidence of it from his rookie campaign.

Anyway, I want Sammy back!

Even if Sammy draws double coverage and doesn't have the stats. It opens up the field for everyone else. One of the things this years Bills offense desperately missed, you don't have to look any further than Shady.

On 3/9/2018 at 8:44 AM, dollars 2 donuts said:

Pete, I am just taking a shot, after our draft picks I believe right now we are in the 18 million dollar area.

Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong.

we have about 35 mil in cap space...ivory and owe are not included and need prolly 5 to 8 mil for draft

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/7/2018 at 10:04 PM, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Sal likes to boast and talk about himself a lot but I literally cannot remember the last time he got something right about the team he covers.

That dude forgot more about football and the intricacies of it in the last year than 95% of people will ever know in their entire life...dude knows his ****...coming from someone else who knows his ****

He is a sideline reporter for the Bills...I wasnt aware he was the breaking news guy

Edited by matter2003