Maurice Hurst diagnosed with heart condition; medically cleared to play

WOW, that's sucks. I hope he gets a way to continue his career but most importantly, he gets to live a normal life.  I know he's been linked to the Bills a lot.

but the most important thing is he helped Michigan a lot of money!  Never fault a football player for getting every penny they can.

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Because they do not go thru the intense medical evaluations that occur going into the Combine 

I think it's a safe assumption that a professional team considering making a multi-million dollar investment in a player would perform a far more thorough medical review than would a college with hundreds and hundreds of student athletes in it's sports programs.  Unless a college athlete is injured, I doubt there little if any interaction with medical staff.

Actually it's a little surprising that isn't obvious to people.

19 hours ago, matter2003 said:

In most cases they can either take medication or have a procedure done to help or resolve it...will probably still be able to play...might not be cleared by all teams tho

Or in many cases determine that it's fine and there is nothing to do except have a routine check-in with the cardiologist.

23 hours ago, aristocrat said:

How do these issues not come up in college?a

My kid plays a sport in college. They have to get a physical from their private doctor before the season...to the extent of, you look healthy. You feel good? Yep...okay, we're good. 

I heard this kid on a SiriusXM / NFL interview a week or so ago. Sounded like a great kid w/ a good head on his shoulders. I wish him the best and hope this is nothing. 

Edited by 707BillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

Tony Pauline, who I’ve found to be very well connected at draft time, said on radio this morning that the belief is Hurst will need to retire. His condition is more like Nick Fairley’s than Lotulelei’s.

Edited by YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Tony Pauline, who I’ve found to be very well connected at draft time, said on radio this morning that the belief is Hurst will need to retire. His condition is more like Nick Fairley’s than Lotulelei’s.

That really sucks.  After reading more and more about him, I was hoping he would be there at 21 or 22.  He creates havoc in the backfield.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2018 at 12:17 PM, Blokestradamus said:

It's a bittersweet moment. On one hand, you really feel for him if this is him done before his career really gets to start.

On the other, I'm just pleased that he knows about it and can hopefully manage it so it doesn't cause a premature end to something more precious than his football career.

Is there something worse than losing $15M guaranteed with the prospect of hundreds of millions for your family throughout your career. 99.99% of us will never be able to leave our family with anything like that. I know my life isn't worth that much security, and I do ok.

On 3/3/2018 at 9:54 AM, MAJBobby said:

No the medical exams are not nearly as intense and only have to be done before first year of eligibility per NCAA Bylaws and can be done by ANY licensed physician to include a family Dr. 

NCAA Bylaw 17.1.5 Mandatory Medical Examination requires all student athletes to have a physical prior to their initial season of eligibility or trying out for a team within 6 months prior to physical activity by a family physician or team physician.

Bylaw 17.1.5 Prior to participation in any practice, competition or out-of-season conditioning activities (or, in Division I, permissible voluntary summer conditioning in basketball and football or voluntary individual workouts pursuant to the safety exception), student-athletes who are beginning their initial season of eligibility and students who are trying out for a team shall be required to undergo a medical examination or evaluation administered or supervised by a physician (e.g., family physician, team physician).  The examination or evaluation must be administered within six months prior to participation in any practice, competition or out-of-season conditioning activities.  In following years, an updated history of the student-athlete's medical condition shall be administered by an institutional medical staff member (e.g., sports medicine staff, team physician) to determine if additional examinations (e.g., physical, cardiovascular, neurological) are required.  The updated history must be administered within six months prior to the student-athlete's participation..................”

https://ncaad2rules.blogspot.com/2013/07/ncaa-bylaw-1715-mandatory-medical.html?m=1

read on the Combine Medicals. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1968230-an-inside-look-into-the-nfl-medical-exam-process-at-the-combine.amp.html

In other words the NCAA doesn't give a rat's ass about the health or we'll being of the player as long as they can suit up.