A coup for Beane

gjv001

48 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Sammy may have burned too many bridges on his way out...besides, show me the O'Reilly kid first........

I think Sammy’s demise in Buffalo was due to money and an inability to stay healthy.  Remember he was a Top 5 pick and picking up his option was considerably higher than those of OBJ, Landry and Benjamin. 11 million IIRC. Lot of cash for someone missing a lot of games the last 2 seasons. I don’t think he was a malcontent but McBeane saw an opportunity to move him for second rounder and in hindsight it may have been the right move. That being said I gladly take him back. When healthy and targeted he’s an elite player. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gjv001 said:

Would be quite a coup for Beane to get Sammy Watkins back from Los Angeles. 

Not to mention he would be a huge upgrade over Mathews and be the sorely needed

deep threat in our WR corp. Watkins, Benjamin, and Jones , not too shabby. 

You try and get back together with all your ex's don't ya?

The Sammy ship has sailed in Buffalo. A real coup would be to upgrade WR through the draft and free agency.

6 hours ago, gjv001 said:

Would be quite a coup for Beane to get Sammy Watkins back from Los Angeles. 

Not to mention he would be a huge upgrade over Mathews and be the sorely needed

deep threat in our WR corp. Watkins, Benjamin, and Jones , not too shabby. 

I don't know. It would depend on what he paid and on how well he performed. We wouldn't know for a year or three whether or not it was a coup.

It would be interesting. I've always like Sammy as a person but his relative lack of productivity in LA left question marks. If they let him go, that would add to those questions.

6 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Sammy will be the hottest WR on the market now that Landry is franchised. Someone will overpay. They would be paying for his potential. He has never lived up to expectations imo

And there's about a .01% chance we'd be the ones overpaying.  Why wouldn't anyone think we'd bring him back, when we just got rid of him, when we didn't have to.  We got rid of him because the team wanted to.

I'd say 0.0 chance, but I don't want to say never.  But is about as close to a never-chance as you'll get.  AAAAAND, I wouldn't want him, for what it'll likely cost.  Let some other team burn cap space.  A good QB can make even mediocre WR's look good.

6 hours ago, Commonsense said:

You don't get rid of a guy because he is a misfit only to bring him back a year later. The Bills were highly invested in Watkins and Beane still saw it fit that he traded him away. 

There is no chance Watkins ends up back here this season.

This is correct, you don't get rid of a guy who's a misfit and then bring him back.

Completely irrelevant to this situation of course. We got rid of Sammy because of injury concerns, worry about the cost of re-signing him during our salary cap problems and to get enough trade capital to have a shot at one of the QBs in this draft.

I doubt it will happen, but there's a chance because they never didn't like Sammy. It was a few message board people who had problems with him.

On 2/28/2018 at 9:59 AM, Reed83HOF said:
Andrew BrandtVerified account @AndrewBrandt 53s54 seconds ago
The Glennon signing, like the Eagles/Bradford signing a year before, are cautionary tales for teams signing veterans and also considering 1st round QBs. Days of expensive placeholder quarterbacks are numbered.

None of that is incorrect.  BUT, they're not going to pony-up for what he'll likely cost on the open market.  Not, at least, until we have the QB situation ironed out.  At that point, maybe then we'll pay big for a FA WR.  But I don't think it happens this year.

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed.  Sammy is on his way into the history books as a touted 1st round pick who didn't live up to his billing. 

He gets the asterisk that he hasn't had an ideal situation - QB, injury, and scheme problems.

I'm Sammy, I go for a lower, but short "prove it" deal with the very best QB and team I can get with, in the hopes that I light up the place and rejuvenate my career.

So he's signing with NE.  Great....

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

This is correct, you don't get rid of a guy who's a misfit and then bring him back.

Completely irrelevant to this situation of course. We got rid of Sammy because of injury concerns, worry about the cost of re-signing him during our salary cap problems and to get enough trade capital to have a shot at one of the QBs in this draft.

I doubt it will happen, but there's a chance because they never didn't like Sammy. It was a few message board people who had problems with him.

Sammy admitted his selfishness during his time here shortly after being shipped out. I guess what counts is that he got the message and can better himself. The one thing we know about McBeane is they are team first guys who are interested in culture more than they are divas. 

The cap situation isn't why Sammy was shipped out. If you don't know that by now then there is no convincing you differently. Just look at who had all the leverage, 5th year option, tag, contract? Nope none. You're not a team first guy? Where can we recoup a draft pick? Off to LA you go.

The picture was painted during Sammy's time here but the folks in love with his talent didn't want to see it. Even after he left and then admitted his selfishness some fans are still in denial.

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Sammy admitted his selfishness during his time here shortly after being shipped out. I guess what counts is that he got the message and can better himself. The one thing we know about McBeane is they are team first guys who are interested in culture more than they are divas. 

The cap situation isn't why Sammy was shipped out. If you don't know that by now then there is no convincing you differently. Just look at who had all the leverage, 5th year option, tag, contract? Nope none. You're not a team first guy? Where can we recoup a draft pick? Off to LA you go.

The picture was painted during Sammy's time here but the folks in love with his talent didn't want to see it. Even after he left and then admitted his selfishness some fans are still in denial.

He admitted his selfishness, but there's been no confirmation elsewhere that anyone else considered them serious at all. He apparently was talking about comments that he wasn't getting enough targets.

Which is pretty much a nothing for WRs. Where was the flood of Bills players and insiders agreeing with Sammy that he'd been selfish? There wasn't a single one. Appears to be a case of a self-critical guy growing up even more and being willing to be criticize himself in public. 

You're right that the cap situation "isn't why Sammy was shipped out." Correct. It was only part of the reason. As I pointed out there were also concerns about injury and about whether they would be able to sign him and whether they had enough money to do so. Not to mention an absolutely feverish need for extra picks to trade up for a QB in the draft this year.

If you don't know that by now, Common, then there is no convincing you differently.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

He admitted his selfishness, but there's been no confirmation elsewhere that anyone else considered them serious at all. He apparently was talking about comments that he wasn't getting enough targets.

Which is pretty much a nothing for WRs. Where was the flood of Bills players and insiders agreeing with Sammy that he'd been selfish? There wasn't a single one. Appears to be a case of a self-critical guy growing up even more and being willing to be criticize himself in public. 

You're right that the cap situation "isn't why Sammy was shipped out." Correct. It was only part of the reason. As I pointed out there were also concerns about injury and about whether they would be able to sign him and whether they had enough money to do so. Not to mention an absolutely feverish need for extra picks to trade up for a QB in the draft this year.

If you don't know that by now, Common, then there is no convincing you differently.

Really? Are you sure they didn't need the extra picks so they could trade for another wideout heading towards FA? 

Well that's exactly what they did when they shipped a 3rd and a 7th for a guy with an injury history that rivals Watkins. In fact he was a tully injured at the time of the trade. 

So what are you talking about? Lets stop acting like a late 2nd round pick is the back breaker in moving up for a QB. If they want to get into the top 5 the phone call goes like this 21,22 next years first and....