You're the GM, what do you offer Kyle Williams

Simple question. If you were the GM, what would you offer Kyle Williams. This is a very tough question, b/c his market value is probably around 4-5 mill, but if I were Kyle (or his agent) he'll probably want/ask north of that figure. So, if I countered with, and this is my answer to this question,

I'd offer 1 year, 5.5 million. I probably wouldn't go higher than 6, and certainly wouldn't go into the 7+ range. I'd hate to see him go, but  35 is 35. Whatever happens here, Kyle is still a Bill Wall of famer, and wish him the best where ever he decides to play next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

I hate to say it, but with the cap where it is, we may need to move on and have Kyle retire. It may be best for all. He's giving his all for this team, and I hate to see him play a diminished role with diminished skills. He's a wall of Famer and a hero now maybe it's best to go out like that.

Market value to be respectful or a little below to be team friendly deal. If he wants to play he will play. If he doesn't then I don't want to overpay for someone that really doesn't want to play anymore. He's got kids in school, he isn't playing anywhere else

You move on.  Bring in someone young to start developing at a cheaper cap hit.  Otherwise you lose another year at this position.  Can't afford a 1-year send-off tour when the team is building for the future.

I love the guy but it is a business. I think his value was higher last year as a locker room leader, culture setter. They wanted to establish that last year and he was a big part. I would make him an offer commensurate to a rotational DT at this point because I think that’s about where he is on the field. They can no longer pay him for what he’s done, and need to pay him for what he will do. If he feels it’s not enough to play, he’ll probably retire. I don’t think he will get big offers elsewhere even though I know Belichick has always liked him. 

I'm not going to be popular with this opinion, but I offer him: nothing. 

I've thanked him, there's a chance his name goes on the Wall of Fame at the stadium, would love to have him back as a coach....but I'm moving on. However, I'm also trading Shady and Hughes. So there's that....

Kyle is beloved for good reason, but this team just turned a tremendous corner and often it was in spite of several key factors: poor QB play (as a QB, not a runner), really bad run Defense (see Kyle, et. al.), poor WRs / passing game (see QB play), and lack of pass rush (see DEs, but also no push up the middle). Kyle is just one cog in this wheel that needs to be re-invented. Love the guy, I'm grateful for his dedicated years to Buffalo, but it's time to move on and find the younger, stronger, faster DT that can do what we need the middle of that D-line to do......

I know, I know....I'll be a pariah on this board, but someone had to say it. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I've thanked him, there's a chance his name goes on the Wall of Fame at the stadium, would love to have him back as a coach....but I'm moving on. However, I'm also trading Shady and Hughes. So there's that....

Kyle is beloved for good reason, but this team just turned a tremendous corner and often it was in spite of several key factors: poor QB play (as a QB, not a runner), really bad run Defense (see Kyle, et. al.), poor WRs / passing game (see QB play), and lack of pass rush (see DEs, but also no push up the middle). Kyle is just one cog in this wheel that needs to be re-invented. Love the guy, I'm grateful for his dedicated years to Buffalo, but it's time to move on and find the younger, stronger, faster DT that can do what we need the middle of that D-line to do......

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion,  and I respect your boldness! IMHO, I don't offer KW 1 year/5.5 mill as a favor, but b/c he can still play at a high level. I wouldn't go higher b/c 35 is starting to get very dicey. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I don't think you'll be a pariah, but your reasoning is not very good.  If you want to blame the pass rush, Kyle is not the bone you should be picking.  His asset extends far beyond pass rushing, and he's invaluable in the locker room.  This is exactly the guy you need in film sessions if you're going to draft a lineman in the first couple rounds.

I don't think money is going to be an issue with Kyle anyways, he'll take a team friendly deal. He's already said he'll only play for the Bills, and the coaching staff loves him.  The guys saying to move on from him are doing so for shock value only.

As I said elsewhere, it'd be 2 years, $10M, with a $7M signing bonus and a 2018 base salary of the vet minimum.

That gives him an AAV that's higher than both Domata Peko and Brandon Mebane--33 year old DTs with zero pro bowls between them that average $3.75M and $4.5M, respectively.

• Like (+1) 1

He is up there in age and will only be a rotational player. I would offer a 2 year 6 mil. Contract as my max offer. Would love to have him in the locker room and in the rotation at the right price. It would be difficult to let meatball leave, I hope they can come to an agreement that is good for the player and team.

2 minutes ago, fridge said:

I don't think you'll be a pariah, but your reasoning is not very good.  If you want to blame the pass rush, Kyle is not the bone you should be picking.  His asset extends far beyond pass rushing, and he's invaluable in the locker room.  This is exactly the guy you need in film sessions if you're going to draft a lineman in the first couple rounds.

I don't think money is going to be an issue with Kyle anyways, he'll take a team friendly deal. He's already said he'll only play for the Bills, and the coaching staff loves him.  The guys saying to move on from him are doing so for shock value only.

If you'll read carefully my statements, I didn't blame the lack of pass rush on Kyle, I stated DEs but also the lack of push up the middle....can't argue they had that almost at all during the season...the other thing I stated was an abysmal inability to stop the run, to which Kyle is also part of, but certainly not alone....so, to me, the logic is sound.

As for invaluable in the locker room, I said I'd offer him to be a coach, that puts him in the locker room and he gets the film sessions with the other guys to help them....kind of like a mentor or older player? Soooo, you get his influence but you get a better, younger player at a similar or lower cost AND you get to keep the guy for the reasons you mentioned. 

And I'm not sure if you're insinuating I'm one of the guys who are saying to move on from him "for shock value only", unless you're talking about media types....but for me, I've been saying this for months. When SDS revamped the site, at least as far as I can tell, you can't go back before October of 2017 to search for content, but I'm pretty sure I've said this about Kyle even after that....I know I said it about him before the season. Anyways, yes I know I'm in the minority, and I'm okay with that as long as we all know it's just an opinion and we all get to have one....but I do think it's in the best interest of the team. 

Kyle will be 35 in June, I think he has 2 years left in him as a rotational DT. He is still the quickest guy off the snap and his instincts are amazing. When he is not doubled he gets off the snap and has multiple moves to blow a play up.   Absolutely love Meatball as a player and person, his age is the biggest hurdle with a contract right now.

I’m gonna be in the minority and say let him go to a team that can win a SB with his 1 or 2 years left. He reached the playoffs with the team he spent his whole career with but we are about to take a rookie QB. 

I def wouldn’t re-sign him if he’s gonna get 5-6 million. Love the guy but it’s a business too. Let him go try to win a title