TV shows that were cut way too soon

Another Fan

10 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Rome.  HBO killed it early because it was so expensive to make.  

Rome was great and definitely canceled way too soon.  But on the bright side HBO learned a lot from their experience with Rome which has led to the continued success of Game of Thrones, another epic series that costs a fortune to produce.

58 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well it did have Robert Guillaume  (Benson) in it, though he was only in a supporting role. But, yeah it was a pretty unknown cast.  

Personally, I typically prefer shows that do that - spend their money on the writing and get talented unknowns for the cast.  (Kind of like the way Cheers did.)

54 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Sure, but in reality he hadn't been relevant in television for like 15 years.  His role as Isaac was very small but he was clearly still a powerful presence on the screen. 

Cheers was so well written that they could say goodbye to just about anyone but Sam and Norm and still be terrific. 

..and here's where I got confused. You guys are talking about Robert Guillaume in Sports Night, no? Never saw it, had to google. I thought it was still a Soap reference, which he was in. When I saw Isaac I was thinking Love Boat...which he also appeared in.

2 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

..and here's where I got confused. You guys are talking about Robert Guillaume in Sports Night, no? Never saw it, had to google. I thought it was still a Soap reference, which he was in. When I saw Isaac I was thinking Love Boat...which he also appeared in.

Ted Lange was Isaac "The Love Boat".  Robert Guilaume was Isaac on "Sports Night".

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Yep.  Isaac on Sports Night was a very solid character.

It was a very good show & probably had scripts twice as long as the typical ones filling 30 minute time slots.  Darn shame it was canned so quickly.

8 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

"The Bridge" - another FX show that ended too soon.  Detectives from Mexico and the U.S. have to navigate political and cultural issues to find a serial killer

Darin, have you watched the original Bridge? (well not quite the original..original was some Danish show called the Bridge). Then there was the Brit/French collaboration called The Tunnel (based on the original) that also aired on PBS..just fantastic! If you liked The Bridge on FX, you will LOVE The Tunnel. Think you can stream from the PBS app.

Edited by plenzmd1

On February 26, 2018 at 8:50 PM, row_33 said:

Deadwood

+1.

Also, Dana Carvey's Comedy Hour or whatever his show was called.

It was on NBC for like 6 episodes before NBC pulled it b/c Dana was too "out there" with his sense of humor.

I loved that stuff.

This was from that show:

Edited by Fadingpain

On 2/28/2018 at 3:47 AM, plenzmd1 said:

Darin, have you watched the original Bridge? (well not quite the original..original was some Danish show called the Bridge). Then there was the Brit/French collaboration called The Tunnel (based on the original) that also aired on PBS..just fantastic! If you liked The Bridge on FX, you will LOVE The Tunnel. Think you can stream from the PBS app.

I read about both of those but haven't seen them.  I will check out "The Tunnel".  Thanks for the recommendation.

Totally agree with those who said Freaks & Geeks.  

Undeclared isn't quite on that level, but it also deserved more time.  

The same goes for Get a Life, which was hilarious in an awkwardly painful way.

Edited by Buffalo86