IF we don’t get a FA QB, and can’t trade up....

Virgil

6 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

My feeling on the whole thing is I would like to trade up for a QB unless its gonna cost a Ditkas ransom......lets just take our shot at greatness

The bridge qb thing I dont know what they will do.....if we trade up I think that player will be starting before the year is done

This is where I’m pretty much at. I don’t want to do a Ditka trade but I’d love one of the top 3. Which one?  That’s above my pay grade. I trust the scout guys to do their job.  None of them are slam dunks and have flaws that scare me. 

I think the Vikings and Eagles showed you can win with a solid team and decent QB play. So for me, I’d rather acquire more picks and really build a strong team if we can’t get our guy. I don’t see any of the non top 3 QBs as being being starters for a few years, so I’d rather take the positions that can be. 

I don’t think any of these journeyman QB’s are going to take sweetheart deals when the demand is so high for them. So I don’t know who would be cheaper than TT, as much as I’m ready to move on from him. 

Bottom line, if we run into this season with 5-6 new rookies starters, two 1sts in next years draft, and TT as our starter, I’ll take it. It’s. Not what I want, but it’s my preferred plan B to getting a bonafide starting QB. 

As for my 22, I couldn’t even begin to tell you. I’m not that guy really. I believe every team is lying about what they want and ever since the  NFL changed rookie deals, trades are up and it’s harder to predict. 

I do see this though:

-Raiders will do something head scratching 

-3 QB’s in top 10, 4 by 15, 5 in the first round 

-There will be a Bears like trade by someone trying to move up one spot in fear of getting robbed 

-There will be at least on solid “oh ****” moment where someone drops or someone takes someone we never saw coming. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No ,we are just showing you we can trade up and still fill holes. Maybe you should change your view instead of us .

That mock you posted from draftek would be great......if all of the players you had us taking actually fell to those picks.  I don’t think we’ll be able to trade our first 2 picks for Baker (it’s going to cost more, hence we won’t have all of those picks).  I don’t feel either player selected in rd 2 will fall to our pick.  I have both going 1st rd, most likely around where we pick 21-30. Pettis would be a STEAL in rd 4.  He’s a 2nd day guy imo.  I don’t know much about the rest.  

I’d have no problem with this idea Virgil and think there’s a real possibility that this happens. If the cost to move up for a qb is too great and the top FA QBs are looking for deals that are too rich or too long for us I’d rather accumulate picks.  We can still take a shot at a QB in rd 2.  Might even be able to draft everyones favorite, Mason Rudolph in rd 2.  Maybe Jackson, Lauletta, White or whichever QB we like most all while accumulating multiple picks in the process. 6-7 possible starters on rookie contracts is a nice way to build a team and, if the qb pans out, can turn into a championship caliber team.  

trading up for a qb is also fine with me, but it’s not that easy.  Teams are going to be looking to make us pay a steep price considering we have 5 picks in the top 95 and haven’t had a good QB in 20+ years.  Just hope that, whatever they do, we draft quality players and one is a qb.  It can happen without trading the farm

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

If all the desired FA QB’s sign elsewhere and if the top 4 QB’s are gone before we can trade up...

And without bitching about it or saying “trade up period”......

What would you like to see done with our picks?

I would want the Bills to hopefully try to trade back more. I wouldn’t care if they traded out of the first round altogether.  

Ideally, I’d trade a 1st this year for a 1st next year, to have the ammo for a possible trade up next year. I’d like to take our 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and make it 7 or 8. 

Basically, I want to build all the pieces we can and set ourselves up for a QB next year. I believe that quality of starter late first round is similar to second round picks.  We can really build a foundation and put ourselves in position for a QB next year. 

If we can fill the other holes with our draft this year, selling the farm to trade up for a QB the following year won’t hurt as much. 

My biggest fear to trading up this year is that we will have too many holes to fill and not the picks to fill them with. 

I know this scenario is possible.  But I'm just crossing my fingers, and hoping our new front office is smarter than letting things unfold that way.  We CANNOT go into this offseason with nothing more than hope and relying on chance.  Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott need to have a carefully constructed plan for getting the guy they want.  If it isn't signing a free agent, then it needs to be securing trade partners in the draft.

The last time we had a GM with a real plan for the Quarterback position was Tom Donahoe, when he traded for Drew Bledsoe.  Since that point, we've been flying by the seat of our pants and hoping things work out at the most important position in football. 

After Bledsoe, Donahoe had Ben Roethlisberger targeted as his QB of the future.  But he failed to recognize the possibility of someone trading ahead of him, and we lost our guy (who ended up being a future first-ballot Hall of Famer) to Pittsburgh by 2 picks.  Then Donahoe panicked and traded back into Round 1 for JP Losman.  In the end, we gave up more draft capitol to move up for Losman than what it would have taken to secure Roethlisberger, and in the process lost our pick that could have landed us Aaron Rodgers the next year.  This was probably the worst draft sequence in the history of our franchise.  Which is really saying something.

Marv Levy never even made a real attempt at addressing the QB position, taking Trent Edwards in the 3rd Round and calling it a day.  After him, Buddy Nix stuck with Ryan Fitzpatrick for YEARS and blatantly refused to even draft a QB until he was ready to retire.  This, of course, happened to be the worst QB class in a decade.  So he cut Fitz without a decent veteran on the roster, telegraphed he was going to draft a QB in the first round, then he reached for EJ Manuel 3 rounds too early.  His replacement Doug Whaley refused to believe Manuel wasn't going to succeed.  So he also refused to draft competition.  And every time a veteran came in and outperformed Manuel, he did everything in his power to get his boy back into the lineup.

I couldn't care less about the "other holes" in the lineup, when we continue to field sub-par players under center.

Another linebacker, defensive tackle, cornerback, wide receiver will help this team remain in the 7-9 to 9-7 area.  Getting the right quarterback could mean a championship.

Edited by mjt328
  • Like (+1) 1

If all the desired FA QB’s sign elsewhere and if the top 4 QB’s are gone before we can trade up...

I would want the Bills to hopefully try to trade back more. I wouldn’t care if they traded out of the first round altogether.  

Ideally, I’d trade a 1st this year for a 1st next year, to have the ammo for a possible trade up next year. I’d like to take our 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and make it 7 or 8. 

Basically, I want to build all the pieces we can and set ourselves up for a QB next year. I believe that quality of starter late first round is similar to second round picks.  We can really build a foundation and put ourselves in position for a QB next year. 

If we can fill the other holes with our draft this year, selling the farm to trade up for a QB the following year won’t hurt as much. 

My biggest fear to trading up this year is that we will have too many holes to fill and not the picks to fill them with. 

Trading down can still bring them a QB, and with the extra pick take another in the 3rd round while still filling holes.  After the run, for the top 3 or 4, things will slow down.  There is no guarantee that the top 3 or 4 will be markedly better than the others.  In fact they could be worse.  

I could see doing this if their guy is coming out next year... that would be the only way though. 

Even still id like to see them also draft a qb in second or third, regardless of what they do in the first round or free agency. 

9 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Here is a draft that will fill many holes if we trade our first two picks and get Baker Mayfield. Also doesn't account for free agents that we will sign. (Using Drafttek)

1. QB Baker Mayfield

2. DT Harrison Phillips

2. LB Leighton Vander Esch

3. OC Bradley Bozeman

4. WR Dante Pettis

5. OT Ike Boettger

5. DT Olive Sagapolu

The problem is you're probably not getting Mayfield with out trading up and depending how far you need to move it may cost both 1's or a 1 and both 2's maybe the 3. 

I don't think the answer is next year, even if we don't get one of the top 4. Drew Lock seems to be the best of the bunch, and he was slotted somewhere between 6th & 10th when it looked like he may come out this year.

R1P21 QB MASON RUDOLPH

OKLAHOMA STATE

R1P22 ILB RASHAAN EVANS

ALABAMA

R2P21 EDGE CHAD THOMAS

MIAMI (FLA.)

R2P24 RB RASHAAD PENNY

SAN DIEGO STATE

R3P32 WR ANTHONY MILLER

MEMPHIS

R4P21 DL JUSTIN JONES

NC STATE

R5P21 CB KEVIN TOLIVER II

LSU

R5P29 OLB JACK CICHY

WISCONSIN

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Bottom line, if we run into this season with 5-6 new rookies starters, two 1sts in next years draft, and TT as our starter, I’ll take it. It’s. Not what I want, but it’s my preferred plan B to getting a bonafide starting QB. 

Agree, but in that event and with the new OC I say start N8 P - worst case we get a good look, tank some, decide he's not the guy.  

We do have a lot of holes to fill.  Our offense is one guy - lose shady to injury and it's over.  On O alone we need a couple of linemen, a couple of WRs, a QB and an actual backup RB. . .and that's only one side of the team.  

I hope they can find a QB they like at around 21 but if not then I like the idea of trading back as you say.  Grab a QB in a later spot and have n8 and he play it out and repeat next year.  2018 is not going to be a championship year - I doubt we see the playoffs.  The new mgmt has been cleaning house for a year now - fumigation after those Ryan dopes.  The process is clearly not a one year thing.  

Edited by sleeby

If we cant trade up for one im all for trading one of our first to acquire more picks.

1 Start Tyrod with the hope that lauletta takes over mid season

draft best player available with our remaining first hopefully DT Hurst

draft Kyle Lauletta in the second

Fill holes with BPA

Next year enjoy 2 first round picks and go qb if necessary

11 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

Virgil I understand what your saying but i really think that the "open positions" were starting to get filled last year even if they are not on the team yet.

We did a lot of tinkering with the back end of our roster to find guys that fit our team as we were signing and releasing players....some of those players that fit our team will be back.

The concern is to fill key spots....and to try to improve the team at certain postions

QB

DT

Pass Rush

LB

I think we are set at spots like WR, TE, RB, possibly OL depending on  how they fill about Glenn coming back and Miller taking his old spot back at RG....I think Cadet comes back to back up Shady.

If the team agrees with you and really thinks we're set at WR, RB & OL then we're all in for a loooooong year. Matthews, Thompson, Tate & Butler are all free agents at WR. At RB Tolbert, Cadet & Jones are all free agents and even if all goes well with your plan at OL we have no depth. That's if the often injured Glenn can actually play a full season. If you resign several of these guys we won't have much left in cap room to fill all the holes we have. We also have several FAs in the secondary.

I would go get the QB they want even if it means trading up to the #2 pick. Only use this year's draft picks on moving up. It will hurt us for the 2018 season, but this will leave us all

our picks next year and we will have a ton of money to spend in free agency next year. Now because we will be trading a bunch of this year's picks to get our QB and we don't really

have a lot of money to spend on free agents, we will still have a bunch of holes not filled or filled with subpar players. I would let Tyrod start one more year as an experienced QB will

be better equipped to deal with an underwhelming roster. None of the QBs in this draft are a sure thing take 2018 and fix the new QB's flaws and groom him to be the starter in 2019. 

Don't throw him to the wolves. In 2019 let Tyrod walk with no dead money against the cap. We will still have all our picks for the 2019 draft and a ton of money to spend in free 

agency(I think I heard around 100 million?). We will be able to surround the new QB with talent and give him the best chance to succeed early in his career.

11 hours ago, Virgil said:

It’s not a view. It’s a question. Cousins may sign somewhere else. Other teams may not want to trade back to us or other teams might beat us to the punch. 

It’s a very real possibility. And IF that happens, then what?

Are you going to capon Goodell and tell him it’s unfair and we really need one?  

If I’m not mistaken, we have the most open positions in the league once the year starts

I empathize OP and realize that things may well fall as other teams either taking a QB in the top 6 or not wanting to trade out of their slot to get Chubb, Barkley, etc if not QB.  And that the free agent QB's may wind up elsewhere.  Also, that the grades on these QB's as done by professional evaluators may not warrant taking them ahead of other players.  I don't have players specifically in mind as I watch not a whole lot of college football but I would like to see DL. LB, RB, and OL addressed early on this draft.  We do have more questions going into 2018 than we did last year.  We did not have Kyle Williams as a question mark and Wood retiring going into last fall.  

By the way the guys shrieking for QB today will be the same ones carrying torches and pitchforks to OBD when that "sure thing" QB craps out 3 years down the road.  Just like anything else in life it is easy to proclaim yourself an expert when you are not held responsible for bad decisions.  

• Like (+1) 1

I agree. But it’s very possible it’s not one of the top 4 guys or Cousins, as so many people are banking on 

Anything, good or bad, is possible. There are plenty of people who seriously or jokingly have talked about "trusting in the process" but it still applies. McDermott learned a lot this year about himself and this team in terms of their ceiling without a QB. I'm confident both he and Beane know this team has a lot of holes, but none bigger than the QB. They will not pull the same shenanigans that Levy/Brandon/Nix/Whaley did by kicking the can down the road, banking on mediocre veteran types or picking a QB out of desperation.

I get why people doubt the franchise, but thankfully the decade of bad GMs from 2006-2016 is over. People aren't hired in their 80s, business managers, scouts masquerading as a GM, or a guy more concerned with saving his job. The question is not whether McBeane have a plan, it's whether theirs is a good one.

Edited by BillsVet

40 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

If the team agrees with you and really thinks we're set at WR, RB & OL then we're all in for a loooooong year. Matthews, Thompson, Tate & Butler are all free agents at WR. At RB Tolbert, Cadet & Jones are all free agents and even if all goes well with your plan at OL we have no depth. That's if the often injured Glenn can actually play a full season. If you resign several of these guys we won't have much left in cap room to fill all the holes we have. We also have several FAs in the secondary.

I will go over this again

Mathews - probably gone unless he signs a modest contract

Thompson - will be back on a modes contract

Tate - who cares

Butler - who cares

Tolbert - please be gone

Cadet - will probably be back on a modest contract

The point is......a lot of these street free agents we picked up last year will most likely be back on cheap deals....and there will be MORE of the same as other teams in the NFL have the same problem.  Right OT's are not that hard to find....Dawkins solified himself at LT.....

Meanwhile.....we have a lot of picks in this next draft......the positions i was referring to are probably areas to target with draft picks