Who is your choice for Bills starting QB in 2018 and why?

Logic

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's kind of setting a low bar.  I would say he's a better passer than Rudolph, and has better progressions, footwork, and pocket sense than I expected.  He scans the field and finds the open guy when he has time.  He still needs to work on not squirting out of the pocket so much, but he can feel the pressure and move to avoid it like anything and that's the part I think can't be taught well.

I'm afraid McBeane has their heart set on a nice pocket-ready statue though.

Ha, well didn't say it to set the bar "low"...just referencing how people make a lazy assessment of Lamar because of their disdain of TT just because they can both also run.  I find Lamar very intriguing and would be excited to draft him if thats who the Bills thought was their guy.  

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yes Lucky for me since its a fallacy in the first place. 

And sorry you didn't understand the implication of the word era.  Glad you googled it though to help you misapply it more lol.  And a NEW era begins at the END of an OLD era.  So I am literally cracking up how this still escapes you to the point you felt you needed to google and post the definition of an "era" as if the NEW era is somehow only conceptualized to be a long period of time despite the very word of NEW in front of ERA.

NEW era does NOT have to be a LONG period of time, hence the use of the word NEW...the OLD era may have been, but the NEW era is only as old as its starting point.  And the success or Wilson and Brees has SHIFTED the OLD belief of how short QB's couldn't succeed which is WHY Baker is a FIRST ROUND PROSPECT this year instead of a SECOND OR THIRD round prospect like you pointed out Brees and Wilson to be.  Why is that?  BECAUSE ITS A NEW ERA ON HOW THEY VIEW GUYS CONSIDERED SHORTER BASED ON THE SUCCESSES OF GUYS LIKE BREES, WILSON, AND ROGERS WHO ARE ALL SHORTER THAN THE PROTOTYPICAL STEREOTYPE OF 6'-3" OR BIGGER.

But by all means, please keep posting more definitions.  I went from done with this conversation and agreed to disagree, but now I am just getting amused.

You didn't say new era until you were proven wrong.  When did the "new era" begin with this height of a QB not mattering?  Was it with Brees or Wilson?  There's a 10 year gap there between when they began playing.  New era - you're adorable.    

Edited by White Linen

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, first of all, can you dole me some gouge about Rosen actually "pissing all over anyone he wants because he can"?  Because I haven't....outside of some college-boy hijinx like rearranging lawn ornaments and buying an inflatable hot tub to put in his room, the "knocks" I've read on Rosen are that he's

1) politically naive about the impacts of sharing his opinions in public

2) in terms of coaching, he will question everything (especially authority) and expect answers.  He "doesn't know what he doesn't know", as Dilfer once said.

I don't think Mayfield is "misunderstood" either.  I think he's naive about the organizational impacts of his public behavior and gestures

They both need to grow up, I don't see either of them as huge "red flags", though they both need to be understood during the interview process.  Rosen is perhaps a bit more concerning, in that he needs to be in the hands of a personally secure, grounded coach who will hold up well under a barrage of questions and not interpret it as a "dis" on his authority.  I don't see him as a "good fit" for Hue Jackson, not sure about Ken Zampese.  I'm also not sure whether he has "bought in" to the idea that he needs to button it up and choose his words with care, or whether Mora has him in a head-lock and he's just waiting to get out of his grip.

Hey, I’ve come around on Rosen the more I’ve read about him since the end of December. My over generalized statement was in reference to some people - on this board, on Twitter, etc. - that paint this picture of him. So my basic question was more a hypothetical regarding two supremely gifted QBs and how someone who believes both have character concerns sifts through their issues to arrive at a possible solution to handle them if there’s any interest to resolve them at all. 

A few few posters read my “what if” scenario to be my take on Rosen, and it isn’t - but that’s as much my fault for failing to communicate that effectively as it might be for some who didn’t read my question carefully enough. 

12 hours ago, kota said:

Whoever they draft or Nate Peterman.  

Also there is a big difference between hating to lose and being a Jackass.  He fits into the jackass category.  Mayfield was arrested in the early morning of Feb. 25 in Fayetteville, and was charged with public intoxication, disorderly conduct, fleeing and resisting arrest.

I can see him getting into it with Buffalo Police on chippewa.  

I get where you're coming from. I just think we've all done stupid **** as kids. Most of us we're lucky enough not to have the media constantly interested in the stuff we do and I'd be willing to bet nobody on this message board was ever THE most popular person on a huge college campus. It doesn't surprise me that every now and then these kids do something stupid and we all hear about it because the whole world is interested. 

5 hours ago, JoeF said:

Here's who I want on the depth chart at the start of the regular season...

1) AJ McCarron - at a number lower than Tyrods--the market is flooded--I think this is realistic

2) Jacoby Brissett - via trade for Shaq Lawson.  Bills also get a pick (4th or 5th).

3) Nathan Peterman

Most of you will be searching for the thumbs down emoji....hee hee....

Like everything except for Brissett.

I) AJ McCarron

2) Riley Ferguson (MEM)

3) Nate Peterman

14 hours ago, kota said:

Whoever they draft or Nate Peterman.  

Also there is a big difference between hating to lose and being a Jackass.  He fits into the jackass category.  Mayfield was arrested in the early morning of Feb. 25 in Fayetteville, and was charged with public intoxication, disorderly conduct, fleeing and resisting arrest.

I can see him getting into it with Buffalo Police on chippewa.  

Young and immature.

He didn't sexually assault a girl.

Public intoxication... that was the key... or are you afraid he's Johnny Football?

I agree with the OP... I think he's going to be the best.

13 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

My choice is anyone not named Tyrod.

Why? B/C they are better.

No, they aren't... :doh:

See Nate Peterman 

12 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Never draft a QB with pick 22.

Why?

Rodgers was 24

I'm also on board with Mayfield but wouldn't mind Darnold either via the draft and via free agency Kirk Cousins. 

When it comes to trading up McBeane needs to be able to answer one question. Do they have a team that can win a Superbowl next yr even if they use those 5pks on positional players ? If there honest with themselves the answer is no they can't.  So with that being said trade up for the QB that u project as a high ceiling franchise guy. We can use the rest of our pks plus free agency to fill the holes these next 2 yrs. During these 2yrs our young QB will get the experience and development he needs to grow into a true franchise QB. With this plan the Bills should be ready to contend for the AFC East if not the Superbowl by 2020 . 

I realize some here will say what if that QB is a bust?  Well i don't believe McBeane plans for failure and if they do they should step down immediately.  If u have the conviction follow threw and take a calculated risk . 

If the Bills can't trade up for Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield , I would be ok with Allen or Rudolph or L. Jackson  . Luke Falk and  Mike White later rd another option.

https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-QBs.asp

A lot depends where Cousins signs in free agency if a trade up is easier. Then there is Bridgewater, Keenum and Bradford  where they go.

I'm thinking Fitz could be a cheaper bridge then Taylor , just don't make him throw long. 

Fitz is a very smart pocket passer (only QB who could guess where SJ13 might be). He would make a good mentor for a rookie and Peterman.

Edited by ALF

I like the Mayfield's competitive on field demeanor ... reminds me of Farve given enthusiasm for game.

His accuracy stats are a plus ... I think his personality would play well in Buffalo ... but agree not sure he will pass the McD ethics test given background

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Young and immature.

He didn't sexually assault a girl.

Public intoxication... that was the key... or are you afraid he's Johnny Football?

I agree with the OP... I think he's going to be the best.

No, they aren't... :doh:

See Nate Peterman 

Why?

Rodgers was 24

I think he was referring to the absolute dumpster fire QBs Drafted at #22 have been over the years....

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, White Linen said:

You didn't say new era until you were proven wrong.  When did the "new era" begin with this height of a QB not mattering?  Was it with Brees or Wilson?  There's a 10 year gap there between when they began playing.  New era - you're adorable.    

lmao, your posts get dumber and funnier with each one you try and defend your complete whiff on understanding what a "different era" means...like I said, I was done and agreed to disagree, but now you're just getting comical and your nonsense has gotten rather entertaining.

My absolute favorite part...seriously...is that you sit here and reference short QB's are not first round picks by showing Brees (who was outside the first round by a single pick) and Wilson (who went in the 3rd)...yet here we are staring at Baker who not only graded to be a first round pick, but most believe could go in the top 10.  Then you argue that its NOT a different era on how teams weigh the height of a QB, yet weirdly this guy you say likely will bust because of his size is still graded as one of the top QB prospects in the draft.  

So...which is it?  Small QB's are still given no regard like the old way of thinking...or its a different era on how teams view QB's who are smaller than the ideal prototype?  Actually, don't bother answering with more illogical spin to still try and defend your complete whiff earlier.

I dont care that you think his size will hinder his career, I don't remotely agree, but that's ok, its a fair opinion.  But everything else you said is complete nonsense.  If not for Brees, Wilson, etc then a guy like Baker in a draft this deep with big QB's would more than likely be viewed as a 2nd round pick or maybe even a 3rd by the very logic you are trying to insist on.  Yet here he is, considered a lock to go in the first round, and might even go top 10 and over bigger guys.

20 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why do you believe the Bills can't have nice things?

Because I have been around a lot longer than you and i have seen the Bill's from the beginning. I hope that McD & Beane are the real deal , the same as I hoped  all of the rest of the Coaches & GM's were going to lead us out of the darkness. So far i have seen one in the 60's and one in the 90's. Personally, I would like to trade up for Rosen, and let the chips fall they may but, that shows you what i know.