ESPN: Resetting the 2018 QB Market (Interesting Bills comment)

If the mods wish to merge this in somewhere please do.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22349856/resetting-2018-nfl-offseason-quarterback-market-kirk-cousins-free-agency-trade-sweepstakes-begun

The Buffalo Bills are coming off a 9-7 season and have a No. 1 receiver in Kelvin Benjamin and an elite running back in LeSean McCoy. If Cousins likes what Sean McDermott is putting together in Buffalo, the Bills become an interesting option that might not be too far from title contention.

Edited by Jamie Muellers Ghost
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

the Bills and contention used in the same sentence.... The tide be turning

That's one Tide even I would take a bite of.

11 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22349856/resetting-2018-nfl-offseason-quarterback-market-kirk-cousins-free-agency-trade-sweepstakes-begun

The Buffalo Bills are coming off a 9-7 season and have a No. 1 receiver in Kelvin Benjamin and an elite running back in LeSean McCoy. If Cousins likes what Sean McDermott is putting together in Buffalo, the Bills become an interesting option that might not be too far from title contention.

The interesting thing to me is that it's well known how faith based McD and Beane are. Cousins shares the same view points there. It also wasn't lost on me how faith based the Eagles were in the post game on Sunday. Way moreover than a typical "I'd like to thank God".

Maybe it's nothing but maybe it's a nice comfort level for Cousins. That said, I don't think the Bills even go after him. 

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

The interesting thing to me is that it's well known how faith based McD and Beane are. Cousins shares the same view points there. It also wasn't lost on me how faith based the Eagles were in the post game on Sunday. Way moreover than a typical "I'd like to thank God".

Maybe it's nothing but maybe it's a nice comfort level for Cousins. That said, I don't think the Bills even go after him. 

That is also true of Foles (faith based)

41 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

If we hire Tony Dungy it’s a done deal.

18 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

And Stevie Johnson.

According to Pro Football Faith Brandin Cooks had the lowest piety rating in the SB.

"....I gotta' thank God.......cuz he gave me the strength to rock HARRRRRD.....knock you out!.......Jesus said knock you out!  Breakdowwwwn!"

• Haha (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Frank Reich is another very faith based coach. 

Who in the NFL isn't?

They're all giving the glory to God and praising Jesus every chance they get.

You see these post-game prayer circles with players taking a knee and there are like 30 of them in there.

1 hour ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

I don't see the Bills having the cap space to pull it off and make it look appealing to Cousins. If they cut Tyrod they have 43 million in cap space. Cousins is going to command 25-30 million of that space. That leaves very little money to upgrade other areas of the roster. Granted if they sign Cousins they have 4 picks in the first two rounds to actually make something happen but if I am not sure you can sell Cousins on upgrading the rest of the roster with a bunch of draft picks. 

Maybe the Bills can defer some of Cousins cap number to 2019 when Dareus, Wood, and other cap penalties fall off (Plus some contracts fall off the books.) Then they can still make a couple of modest signings (Resign Gaines and maybe find a decent DT like Star.)

But then you have to question is Cousins going to put you in a situation like Joe Flacco did to Baltimore. Committing big money to an average to above average QB compromises the rest of the roster and locks you into mediocrity. But if you think Cousins can be a very good QB and you just acquire him for cap space you then actually can push into contention. 

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't see the Bills having the cap space to pull it off and make it look appealing to Cousins. If they cut Tyrod they have 43 million in cap space. Cousins is going to command 25-30 million of that space. That leaves very little money to upgrade other areas of the roster. Granted if they sign Cousins they have 4 picks in the first two rounds to actually make something happen but if I am not sure you can sell Cousins on upgrading the rest of the roster with a bunch of draft picks. 

Maybe the Bills can defer some of Cousins cap number to 2019 when Dareus, Wood, and other cap penalties fall off (Plus some contracts fall off the books.) Then they can still make a couple of modest signings (Resign Gaines and maybe find a decent DT like Star.)

But then you have to question is Cousins going to put you in a situation like Joe Flacco did to Baltimore. Committing big money to an average to above average QB compromises the rest of the roster and locks you into mediocrity. But if you think Cousins can be a very good QB and you just acquire him for cap space you then actually can push into contention. 

....just a guess, but I see this gang playing draft capital and FA dollars close to the vest AND conservative.......hence, no MAJOR draft capital investments in ONE player nor MAJOR FA dollars in one player again......think they maximize EVERY draft pick they have for A player one by one and spend FA dollars wisely versus rolling the dice as "riverboat gamblers"....seems to me their mindset is a long term build for the future without discounting being competitive now.......

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....just a guess, but I see this gang playing draft capital and FA dollars close to the vest AND conservative.......hence, no MAJOR draft capital investments in ONE player nor MAJOR FA dollars in one player again......think they maximize EVERY draft pick they have for A player one by one and spend FA dollars wisely versus rolling the dice as "riverboat gamblers"....seems to me their mindset is a long term build for the future without discounting being competitive now.......

The thing is I think QB is the one big play that even a conservative organization and regime might make. I agree that I don't think they have heavy activity in free agency at best Star or another DT on a modest Hyde type contract is the only big play they make other than resigning Gaines. 

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The thing is I think QB is the one big play that even a conservative organization and regime might make. I agree that I don't think they have heavy activity in free agency at best Star or another DT on a modest Hyde type contract is the only big play they make other than resigning Gaines. 

...the Hyde and Poyer finds as well as letting Gilmore walk make me think that Gaines despite his contribution, walks because of health and possible money demands....as far as QB, I'm GUESSING that they look for a two year bridge vet (McCown?... McCarron depending on 2/15 RFA/UFA ruling?...'Zona's Stanton?....???)   to groom the 1st round draft QB pick and Peterman......not seeing college ball and only depending on what I read, it is more and more sounding like Rudolph is their guy at 21/22, a safe but unsexy pick.......

29 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Who in the NFL isn't?

They're all giving the glory to God and praising Jesus every chance they get.

You see these post-game prayer circles with players taking a knee and there are like 30 of them in there.

they should pray on their own time, football game isn't the place for this type of demonstration. It's insulting to those in the military that aren't religious.

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...the Hyde and Poyer finds as well as letting Gilmore walk make me think that Gaines despite his contribution, walks because of health and possible money demands....as far as QB, I'm GUESSING that they look for a two year bridge vet (McCown?... McCarron depending on 2/15 RFA/UFA ruling?...'Zona's Stanton?....???)   to groom the 1st round draft QB pick and Peterman......not seeing college ball and only depending on what I read, it is more and more sounding like Rudolph is their guy at 21/22, a safe but unsexy pick.......

Will we be able to get a 1st round QB?  That's still up in the air.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1