Josh McDaniels Withdraws from Colts' HC Job

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Why negotiate against yourself?

NE definitely should have stepped up earlier than they did, but I wouldnt say "at first rumblings". Let it play out a little. Maybe Colts low-ball McDaniels. Maybe Josh meets Irsay and they hate each other. No point in throwing money at a problem when there isnt a real problem yet.

NE's season ended Sunday night. They sat McDaniels down on Tuesday. So they really only missed doing the sit-down on Monday. But it sounds like McDaniels wasnt in the building Monday.

Not trying to defend the scumbags in Foxboro, just trying to think through the timing for league operations...

NE should have taken a few hours out of their oh so busy schedule to construct a counter offer within a week of McDaniels "accepting" the Colts offer.   

OR they should have refused outright permission for McDaniels to interview, not once but twice.  

Waiting a full 3 weeks to pull this is crap?   This wasn't about "family and moving".   

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Belichick wants to teach him everything he knows     

• Mumbling classes start next Monday  
  • How to tear the sleeves off of a sweatshirt will be held on Tuesday  
  • How to fake injury reports will be held on Wednesday
  • How to screw with the communication system will be held on Thursday 
  • How to persuade the Refs will be held on Friday

Extra credit assignment include filmography and handling pressure (air)

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

It looked to me is that NE didn't sit down with him until he was about to clean out his locker for the last time before they made him an offer.  

Yes, that was the point.  They made a Hail Mary attempt to keep him and made an offer that appealed to what he wanted obviously, and it worked.

Colts got outsold by the Pats, its just that simple.  Just like Dallas got outsold at the zero hour by the Clippers for DeAndre.  It doesn't happen a lot, but it happens.  Just like when Carlos Boozer signed with the Jazz rather than resigning with the Cavs like he said he would...another team came in and offered something they felt was a better choice for them.

5 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

NE should have taken a few hours out of their oh so busy schedule to construct a counter offer within a week of McDaniels "accepting" the Colts offer.   

OR they should have refused outright permission for McDaniels to interview, not once but twice.  

Waiting a full 3 weeks to pull this is crap?   This wasn't about "family and moving".   

I really cant bring myself to defend the Pats, so I'll just say I disagree. And of course it wasnt about family and moving. Although that would always play a part.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Yep, he will be toxic to any other teams at this point. 

That would be deserved, but you know, if they keep winning, I think teams will have shorter memories than we think.

Where I would like to see the impact, is that if McDaniels gets to where he's making personnel decisions those in the actual business won't be willing to work on his word and a handshake.  That could handicap him.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That would be deserved, but you know, if they keep winning, I think teams will have shorter memories than we think.

Where I would like to see the impact, is that if McDaniels gets to where he's making personnel decisions those in the actual business won't be willing to work on his word and a handshake.  That could handicap him.

I think teams would love to have him as a coach. He’s an excellent football coach (which is why New England went crazy to keep him). They just can’t trust him. 

58 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Can I cry for the prospective head coach who had his nuts cut off when it comes to hiring his own staff?

I don't believe the HC is required to keep these guys.  The colts are just saving face by saying they like these guys.

It's like getting shot down publicly by the hot chick at the bar but still get laid at the end of the night by someone a few notches lower and can say you were happy about it.

Edited by The Wiz

9 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I don't believe the HC is required to keep these guys.  The colts are just saving face by saying they like these guys.

It's like getting shot down publicly by the hot chick at the bar but still get laid at the end of the night by someone a few notches lower and can say you were happy about it.

Let me tell you getting shot down by the last girl left isn’t a good feelin either. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I thought the GM committed to them by saying they’ll find a place for them and I took that to mean as coaches. Could make them highly paid ticket ushers I guess.

On 2/8/2018 at 12:54 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

This makes me think that Leslie Frazier has a good shot at this head coaching job. 

If Ballard is really that adamant on a Tampa 2 defense, Frazier would be a good fit. 

It really sound like Ballard is dead set on that Tampa 2 and feels he knows how to scout players for that system best. He (basically) said that they are installing it no matter who the head coach is, and already have Eberflus to run it. Obviously Frazier has experience in that system and has ran it himself. 

But they could also just go with an offensive minded guy who doesn't mind running a Tampa 2 defense and will let Eberflus do his thing. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:02 PM, The Wiz said:

Colts have put it out there that they will honor their contracts.

That would make most normal people endeared to Colts as they are paying them. And most normal people would make the best of it, circle the wagons so to speak after talking to a clear upbeat stand up guy like Reich. Even if they would rather spill a drink on McDaniels then share a beer with him. 

Edited by cba fan