Groy will fill in perfectly at center

Seems like half the mock drafts now are projecting us to take a center.    We already have a great backup center in Groy.

• Did not allow a sack all season in 2016 from 291 pass-blocking snaps.
  • He started the final seven games of the season for us when Wood got hurt in 2016.  Played very well, especially in the final two games of the season against tough defensive lines of Jets and Fins.
  • Didn’t allow a sack all season, and surrendered just nine total pressures – seven across those final seven games.
  • 6'5 inches and 325 lbs.   27 years old but not a lot of miles on him.  Smart guy.

After being thrown into the fire — and not performing all too well — in that crazy Seahawks game that we would have won if we had an average kicker, Groy was a solid in both pass and run.  

His strong play down the stretch was why we matched the two-year, $5 million offer from the Rams.

He will kickass in there.

• Like (+1) 4

Agreed - every time he has seen extended playing time, he has filled in admirably. I don't really count the one or two plays per game where he would come in as a 6th lineman last year.

I'm not opposed to taking a backup C on day 2 or 3 if someone we like falls to us, but there are many more pressing needs on both sides of the ball that should be addressed first.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think if the Bills take a Center early, it will be one who can also play Guard, will be no earlier than the 2nd, and will be a BPA situation (ie Billy Price is there in the 2nd)

Yep, Interior OL should be addressed via the draft this spring.

14 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Seems like half the mock drafts now are projecting us to take a center.    We already have a great backup center in Groy.

• He started the final seven games of the season for us when Wood got hurt in 2016.  Played very well, especially in the final two games of the season against tough defensive lines of Jets and Fins.
  • Didn’t allow a sack all season, and surrendered just nine total pressures – seven across those final seven games.
  • 6'5 inches and 325 lbs.   27 years old but not a lot of miles on him.  Smart guy.

After being thrown into the fire — and not performing all too well — in that crazy Seahawks game that we would have won if we had an average kicker, Groy was a solid in both pass and run.  

His strong play down the stretch was why we matched the two-year, $5 million offer from the Rams.

You are spot on. I watched him play High School ball at Middleton and then watched him at UW.  I was screaming at the TV all last season for him to be plugged in at right guard.  Really hate that his break came this way, but he will make the most of it.  Just a solid guy all around.

They call him "Yorg" here in the land of cheese and large women.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think if the Bills take a Center early, it will be one who can also play Guard, will be no earlier than the 2nd, and will be a BPA situation (ie Billy Price is there in the 2nd)

I agree.  A G/C.  Lots of those in this years draft it seems.  I think we get one in the second.  

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

I am of this opinion as well......and he is an absolute mauler of a player.

Wood was smart and a leader and a good player....but a mauler he was not

5 minutes ago, Wagon Circler said:

Most of the national 'experts'  don't seem to be aware that we have a decent player ready to replace Wood at center.

Thus, center is not quite the priority they make it out to be. Definitely not the first round.

It still would not hurt to address interior OL via the draft as Incognito is getting long in the tooth and our depth is not fantastic.  Probably a second day choice.

1 minute ago, Captain Murica said:

Anyone think it's a possibility Miller might get another shot? They're going back to more of a power run scheme. 

Who knows?  Castillo is still here and the new regime signed Ducasse.

52 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Most centers can also play OG.   Guard is a position of need.    They will very likely take a C/OG in round 2-3, IMO...

More pressing needs at:

DE(2)

DT(2)

CB

ILB

OLB

WR

QB

RB

Shouldn't draft for need anyway but if you do.........then G/C would only make sense if you have about a dozen picks in the first two rounds.:thumbsup:

BPA at big money positions early.    If you need a quality guard in free agency.......you can usually find one.   If you need a pass rushing DE you almost certainly won't find one but if you do it will cost you twice what a guard does.

Drafting for need is how the Bills have almost nothing to show for those 17 straight missed-playoffs seasons.