DE(2)

DT(2)

CB

ILB

OLB

WR

QB

RB

Shouldn't draft for need anyway but if you do.........then G/C would only make sense if you have about a dozen picks in the first two rounds.:thumbsup:

BPA at big money positions early.    If you need a quality guard in free agency.......you can usually find one.   If you need a pass rushing DE you almost certainly won't find one but if you do it will cost you twice what a guard does.

Drafting for need is how the Bills have almost nothing to show for those 17 straight missed-playoffs seasons.  

I think it was drafting for scheme, not need, wasn't it?

4 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Seems like half the mock drafts now are projecting us to take a center.    We already have a great backup center in Groy.

• Did not allow a sack all season in 2016 from 291 pass-blocking snaps.
  • He started the final seven games of the season for us when Wood got hurt in 2016.  Played very well, especially in the final two games of the season against tough defensive lines of Jets and Fins.
  • Didn’t allow a sack all season, and surrendered just nine total pressures – seven across those final seven games.
  • 6'5 inches and 325 lbs.   27 years old but not a lot of miles on him.  Smart guy.

After being thrown into the fire — and not performing all too well — in that crazy Seahawks game that we would have won if we had an average kicker, Groy was a solid in both pass and run.  

His strong play down the stretch was why we matched the two-year, $5 million offer from the Rams.

He will kickass in there.

Sorry, but I've heard this kind of thing so often over the years when the Bills replace a starter with a backup, especially on the OL, that I am exceedingly skeptical.  Bennie "The Penalty" Anderson wasn't an adequate replacement for Pro Bowl LG Ruben Brown and Langston Walker and numerous other Never-Weres weren't replacements for All Pro LT Jason Peters.  The Bills wasted about 4 years before they got around to replacing Brown, and another 3 or 4 years before they replaced Peters.  :thumbdown:

I hope Groy is a decent replacement for Wood but I'm not pinning my hopes on him.  The Bills need to draft a center on Day 1 or Day 2 and then add a  guard on Day 2 or Day 3. If this regime is committed to winning football games, then there can be no excuses for not bringing in some quality young OLers through the draft and keeping the good OLers they already have, ie Incognito, Glenn, and Dawkins.

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Sorry, but I've heard this kind of thing so often over the years when the Bills replace a starter with a backup, especially on the OL, that I am exceedingly skeptical.  Bennie "The Penalty" Anderson wasn't an adequate replacement for Pro Bowl LG Ruben Brown and Langston Walker and numerous other Never-Weres weren't replacements for All Pro LT Jason Peters.  The Bills wasted about 4 years before they got around to replacing Brown, and another 3 or 4 years before they replaced Peters.  :thumbdown:

I hope Groy is a decent replacement for Wood but I'm not pinning my hopes on him.  The Bills need to draft a center on Day 1 or Day 2 and then add a  guard on Day 2 or Day 3. If this regime is committed to winning football games, then there can be no excuses for not bringing in some quality young OLers through the draft and keeping the good OLers they already have, ie Incognito, Glenn, and Dawkins.

It will disappoint people here but this is the year where the saying "build from the line out" could not be more true.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, horned dogs said:

No way they can afford to draft a C/G in round 1. 

It depends upon who's available.  However unlikely, if Nelson is there at #21, you sprint to the podium to get him.  There may be some others worth taking at #21 or #22, but a second rounder might work out well, too.

3 hours ago, FearLess Price said:

Wow.

Hope we dont pass on a franchise QB for a Center....

Nah OBD isnt that stupid....

:ph34r:

OBD passed on 2 potential franchise QBs to take a DB last year when they traded out of the #10 slot.  I'm not saying they were wrong to do that, but I sure wouldn't want them trading up take the fourth or fifth best QB prospect in the draft.  That's a recipe for disaster.  I'm not sure if I'd want them to take any QB at #21 or #22, either ... the number of successful QBs to come out of the bottom of the first round since 2000 is really small.  Off the top of my head, I think there's Chad Pennington, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Flacco, and maybe, if he's truly healthy enough to play, Teddy Bridgewater.   With QBs, it's basically, go high or stay home IMO, and my guess is that nobody at the top of the draft is likely to want to deal except maybe Cleveland.

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

It still would not hurt to address interior OL via the draft as Incognito is getting long in the tooth and our depth is not fantastic.  Probably a second day choice.

More precisely, the Bills depth is non-existent unless Glenn makes a full recovery and the Bills keep him, and Miller gets another chance at RG.  Vlad Ducasse is a career backup.

1 hour ago, Captain Murica said:

Anyone think it's a possibility Miller might get another shot? They're going back to more of a power run scheme. 

I hope so.  Ducasse didn't suddenly become starting guard material after 8 years in the league.

1 hour ago, buffalostu2 said:

I think it was drafting for scheme, not need, wasn't it?

That's still drafting for need.........but players who lacked scheme-versatility wasn't the problem.

If they only had 5 of their original first rounders on the roster to show for 17 years worth of loser-level draft picks that would be bad.............only having two(Shaq and White) is atrocious.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

It depends upon who's available.  However unlikely, if Nelson is there at #21, you sprint to the podium to get him.  There may be some others worth taking at #21 or #22, but a second rounder might work out well, too.

OBD passed on 2 potential franchise QBs to take a DB last year when they traded out of the #10 slot.  I'm not saying they were wrong to do that, but I sure wouldn't want them trading up take the fourth or fifth best QB prospect in the draft.  That's a recipe for disaster.  I'm not sure if I'd want them to take any QB at #21 or #22, either ... the number of successful QBs to come out of the bottom of the first round since 2000 is really small.  Off the top of my head, I think there's Chad Pennington, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Flacco, and maybe, if he's truly healthy enough to play, Teddy Bridgewater.   With QBs, it's basically, go high or stay home IMO, and my guess is that nobody at the top of the draft is likely to want to deal except maybe Cleveland.

More precisely, the Bills depth is non-existent unless Glenn makes a full recovery and the Bills keep him, and Miller gets another chance at RG.  Vlad Ducasse is a career backup.

I hope so.  Ducasse didn't suddenly become starting guard material after 8 years in the league.

I'm hoping with Daboll implementing a power run scheme in which Miller had success in the previous year. He eventually could go back to his 2016 form. It would be real nice having 3 young starters on the O-line. 

Edited by Captain Murica
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Let's also remember that Groy is a UFA after the 2018 season; it's not a lock that he stays.

Drafting a center would be a prudent move.

True, but is it more likely that they squeeze 3-4 more productive years out of Jerry Hughes than it is that they can extend Groy for 3-4 years?

That's the problem with having one of the league's oldest rosters.........there are MANY places where it's easy to cite pending weakness in 2019.

I'm certainly not against the Bills taking a center at some point but you can find good centers late in the draft.

The two starting centers in the SB were a 6th rounder and undrafted free agent, respectively.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's still drafting for need.........but players who lacked scheme-versatility wasn't the problem.

If they only had 5 of their original first rounders on the roster to show for 17 years worth of loser-level draft picks that would be bad.............only having two(Shaq and White) is atrocious.

That makes me want to vomit

5 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Seems like half the mock drafts now are projecting us to take a center.    We already have a great backup center in Groy.

• Did not allow a sack all season in 2016 from 291 pass-blocking snaps.
  • He started the final seven games of the season for us when Wood got hurt in 2016.  Played very well, especially in the final two games of the season against tough defensive lines of Jets and Fins.
  • Didn’t allow a sack all season, and surrendered just nine total pressures – seven across those final seven games.
  • 6'5 inches and 325 lbs.   27 years old but not a lot of miles on him.  Smart guy.

After being thrown into the fire — and not performing all too well — in that crazy Seahawks game that we would have won if we had an average kicker, Groy was a solid in both pass and run.  

His strong play down the stretch was why we matched the two-year, $5 million offer from the Rams.

He will kickass in there.

THIS - this is what I been saying ALL along - we have our center on the team already.  People soon forget what we have.  Not the leader Woods was but we have an awesome center here already.

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

True, but is it more likely that they squeeze 3-4 more productive years out of Jerry Hughes than it is that they can extend Groy for 3-4 years?

That's the problem with having one of the league's oldest rosters.........there are MANY places where it's easy to cite pending weakness in 2019.

I'm certainly not against the Bills taking a center at some point but you can find good centers late in the draft.

The two starting centers in the SB were a 6th rounder and undrafted free agent, respectively.  

I wouldn't prioritize drafting a center; I think they have enough picks to get one at some point 

I'm prioritizing QB and DL in the draft because I think that's the fastest path to having a team that can compete for the next 3-4 years.

Edited by thebandit27

47 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Dude - seriously?  Did you not read or did you not comprehend the OP's post???  You confuse me.  None of the names you mention had anywhere near the SOLID experience and DEMONSTRATED results that Groy has.  Sorry for yelling but WTF!

14 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I have to imagine Groy is penciled in as the starter. We just can't use a top pick on a center. 

I agree........I think Groy was better than Wood in 2016.......but if not another dark horse candidate is John Miller.

I know this regime hasn't shown him much love but I viewed him as a decent center prospect coming out of Louisville.  

I thought he could someday be a starter but figured he lacked the measurables to go early as a guard.....but they chose him a couple rounds too soon for my liking and kinda' got what they deserved for reaching.   

Miller will be a FA in 2019 also........but if I am spending an early round pick on an interior OL he better be an AMAZING prospect who I could envision paying the $12M price tag when they hit FA in 4 years.    

12 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I wouldn't prioritize drafting a center; I think they have enough picks to get one at some point 

I'm prioritizing QB and DL in the draft because I think that's the fastest path to having a team that can compete for the next 3-4 years.

Yeah QB for sure.    

DL if the right guys are there......but I have a feeling that the best pass rushing prospects.......or at least the ones that aren't off the Bills board for character issues...... will be gone by the Bills pick.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

I think Groy will be our starting Center, and a good one... but does anyone else on the roster have experience at Center?

Richie does. "Incognito was shifted to center during the 2004 preseason camp. He entered the season with high expectations, listed on a number of preseason lists as a top center and named to the watch list for the Rimington Trophy going to the best center in college football."