Brady's Legacy

I think Brady is the best QB to ever play the game, I'm not sure if Joe Montana could play in this era but I know Brady would be able to play in any era. He's been to 6 SB, countless playoffs, league MVP 3 times, 4 SB MVP, the guy is like no QB I've ever witnessed and I've seen Joe Montana play in his prime. That said I hope he retires because I want to watch a friggin SB again, 1st time ever I didn't watch because I'm getting sick of watching the same **** over and over again.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Steve Young was better than Montana. They both had fantastic teams and one of the top 2-3 coaches ever. But I thought Young could do everything Montana could do, and was a much better runner. Brady is easily the best passer ever. But I also think that if you put him on a crappy team, without Belichick, other quarterbacks would be better than him.

10 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Gretzky, Jordan, Brady, Nicklaus, Serena Williams, and Federer  in that order for greatest of all time in their sports. Woods was on track to take out Jack.  There is no one player in baseball that is that much better than all the rest.  

Where would you stick Bolt and Phelps?

46 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Of course I don't believe this.  I am completely mocking anyone who doesn't think that, not only is Tom Brady the greatest football player to ever live, but, more specifically, the morons who used to insist that Montana's 4-0 > Brady's 4-2, which was the most absurd, backwards, illogical argument ever perpetrated on this website.

I had a completely different response ready before reading the thread and seeing that you were being sarcastic.

IMO Brady surpassed Montana after he won his fourth against the Seahawks. He cemented himself as the GOAT after last years comeback against the Falcons to the point where he could literally go 0-4 to finish out his career and it would have zero negative impact. I'm mean the dude is old as dirt by QB standards. Any Super Bowl appearances at this point to finish out his career are just icing on top. We might not ever see another QB play in 8 Super Bowls ever again. I doubt we even see one play in six. 

• Like (+1) 1

Well the 'Montana's 4-0 > Brady's 4-2' people have sure gone quiet.  Prior to last season, they made up at least 10-15% of the people who engaged in this discussion.  They were basically arguing that Montana helped himself by losing two NFC Championship games and that playing in a Super Bowl is a risky proposition because if you lose, that's worse than going 7-9 that year.  But I digress.  Yes, Tom Brady, has achieved Michael Jordan/Wayne Gretzky status indeed.  He has firmly supplanted Jerry Rice as the greatest football player to ever live.

• Like (+1) 2

I think it's a bit disingenuous to say "he couldn't even beat Nick a Foles". 

He wasnt playing defense tonight. Pats D was trash most of the night. I believe they allowed points on 8 of 10 possessions.

Brady did his job. He put up a new Super Bowl record 505 passing yards, and 30+ points on a great Philly Defense, which I believe, if I heard right, they also said was a new record by a losing team in the Super Bowl - that no team had ever put up 33 points and lost in the SB before. 

The outcome of that game, IMO, comes down to coaching, execution and the play of Philly's offense + New England's defense. It really has nothing to do with Brady not playing well.

I don't see where this hurts his legacy. If anything it probably helps it. 8 Super Bowls (in 16 seasons starting, technically) is just insane. That amounts to a SB appearance in 1/2 of the seasons he's started. 

And as much as I hate to say it, he might not even be quite done writing his legacy yet (although I sure hope he is...). 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, arcane said:

Where would you stick Bolt and Phelps?

Or Danny Ainge? He was college player of the year, an NBA all-star, played major league baseball, was a high school All-American football player. In fact, he is the only athlete ever to be a high school All-American in three sports. He was a fantastic high jumper, is a scratch golfer, and (I'm not kidding) allegedly unbeatable in ping pong.

A lot of you guys are calling Brady the GOAT. He is in this era, no doubt. But not of all time, no way. You guys recall Jim Kelly getting his helmet torn off? the defender was really trying to tear his head off. No flags thrown, why? That was the game. Times have changed to protect the QB, definitely for the better. you won't see Brady limp into the endzone like Elway did in SB 32. you wont see many of today's QB's walk around like all of the 83 QBs with their legs held together with brases. He's a smart guy, and a great field general but he would have been done after 2012 if the rules were the same as they were before 2000. And he is only a great field general because he had time, can't say he was the defining factor in all of the 1st 3 wins. Bruschi and the defence were awesome.

Brady is the best ever.  My hate for the Pats has dissipated in the last few yrs. as I realized he will be talked about as the best ever for a very long time and I can say I was there to see it all.  Still root for them to lose, but the hate almost blended to a slight admiration from afar.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

I think everyone can agree that Joe Montana was a vastly superior all time QB than Brady when Brady was 4-2 in Super Bowls (of course, Montana is a perfect 4-0).  But after last year, a lot of people started to suggest that 5-2 was better than 4-0.  Not me.  Where I come from, you cannot beat perfect.  But now that Brady has slipped all the way to 5-3, how does this affect his legacy?  Personally, I think it took a huge hit tonight.  Losing to Nick Foles?  Are you kidding me??  I think Brady slides a few spots after tonight's game for sure.  I mean, he could even win a few more and never catch Troy Aikman, who is a perfect 3-0.  3 losses is historically bad.  That ties him with Fran Tarkenton for crying out loud!  Look at other all time great QB's in Brady's tier- Marino (only 1 loss), Favre (1 loss), Manning (2 losses), etc.  Long story short, he cannot afford to lose another Super Bowl or else people may begin to discount his wins altogether.  Thoughts?

Brady's Legacy is that he is the Best of All-Time, and that every year he was expected to go to the Super Bowl, and that he did that for nearly 20 years. And that he went to more Super Bowls than any other QB because he didn't lose in the playoff games that came before the Super Bowls, like Montana, and anyone else you want to throw at him.

The pettiness is unbecoming for a fan of the game. Give it up.

Vinatieri for the Tuck Rule win, Vinatieri for the SB win,  Vinatieri, Vinatieri, loss to Giants, loss to Giants, Pete Carroll, Kyle Shanahan, loss to Eagles.

Granted, by all rights they should have beaten the Giants at least once, but in the end, Brady is no Montana.  And for whatever other thoughts on Montana to Rice, he won with Freddie Solomon and Earl Cooper, and no Ronnie Lott.

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Yes, Brady is the GOAT.

He also gets a technical difficulty multiplier Montana does not enjoy, as Montana played at a time when defenses were absolutely primitive by today's standards.

Primitive maybe. Far more savage on wr and qb absolutely.

59 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

4-0 >>> 5-3 and it's not even close.

Peyton Manning is the greatest regular season QB of all time and Montana is the greatest post-season QB of all time.

Brady falls short of both.

spider-man-whedon-3-1430829073.gif?quali