Why didn’t Belichick play Malcolm Butler?

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

More BS. Bellicheat would sell out his mother to win. He didn't sit him because of his high standards he sat him because of his big ego.

The most successful HC in the history of the modern NFL has a big ego. Of course he does. You find that surprising and troubling? That's like saying you are surprised that the Pope is a Catholic. Let's get real here. Rex didn't have a big ego? Marrone didn't have a big ego? McDermott doesn't have a big ego? etc., etc., etc. 

10 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Say what you want, Chandler is a game changing all pro in his prime, and the Patriots have ZERO pass rush.    Foles was barely touched all night, as Belichick pointed out in his post game.   Just because Pats have won superbowls since he left is meaningless, were wrong to deal him.   I watched every Zona game he dominated about half of them.  He would have been a force against the backup tackle for philly. 

What is "meaningless" is suggesting one guy rushing the QB game would have made that difference.  I have pointed out that they won a SB without that one guy, and that their defense was no worse each year without him.

That "backup tackle for philly" has been playing since week 7.  They were 10-2 in games he played.   He faced Everson Griffin, Linval Joseph and Anthony Barr (and 2 other Minn defensive Pro Bowlers--and the rest of the #1 Defense in the NFL)) and handled his position just fine---Foles shredded The Vikings in the NFCC game.

The vaunted Philly D was destroyed by Brady.  They made one big play.  But had Brady not dropped an easy TD pass or if Gotskowski hadn't missed an easy FG, we wouldn't be having this discussion.  It was one game and that's just how the ball bounced, as they say.

These are all facts.  You are speculating (saying "what you want").

I'm in agreement with other posters on several things.  The punishment seems to out weight the crime.  If his tardiness was a consistent thing, why not sit him during the regular season to prove the point?  If this was that serious of an infraction, why not inactivate him?  If he wanted insurance for a Rowe injury, why not just play him cause Rowe was not good?  These are like just surface level questions so I'm assuming there must be something deeper going on.  Cause I wouldn't expect BB to make this type of mistake.

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

What is "meaningless" is suggesting one guy rushing the QB game would have made that difference.  I have pointed out that they won a SB without that one guy, and that their defense was no worse each year without him.

That "backup tackle for philly" has been playing since week 7.  They were 10-2 in games he played.   He faced Everson Griffin, Linval Joseph and Anthony Barr (and 2 other Minn defensive Pro Bowlers--and the rest of the #1 Defense in the NFL)) and handled his position just fine---Foles shredded The Vikings in the NFCC game.

The vaunted Philly D was destroyed by Brady.  They made one big play.  But had Brady not dropped an easy TD pass or if Gotskowski hadn't missed an easy FG, we wouldn't be having this discussion.  It was one game and that's just how the ball bounced, as they say.

These are all facts.  You are speculating (saying "what you want").

I kind of agree with this but some minor points I have disagreements.  

A pass rusher can be a game wrecker and changer.  I can't/won't argue they won the super bowl last year and almost again this year without him.  That is the nature of the beast though, if they hadn't traded Jones he might have walked last off season.  He was traded as they didn't think they could/would re-sign him.  Don't forget he signed an 83 million dollar deal before last year.

The only other point I disagree with is that Brady had a td catch.  No way was he going to score.  He had a first down for sure but he was at the 28 when he dropped it.  There was an Eagle defender at the 10 as well as 2 more closer that would have had a shot at him.

interesting twist on story - even Krafty did not know Billicheat's plan

Not Even Robert Kraft Knew About the Malcolm Butler Benching

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/07/malcolm-butler-benching-super-bowl-52-new-england-patriots-owner-robert-kraft

If Belichick decided to bench him as part of the game plan, that makes some sense. Belichick has done some crazy things before as part of his Super Bowl game plan. As defensive coordinator for the Giants in Super Bowl XXV, Belichick decided he was going to let Thurman Thomas run all over his defense in a gameplan that didn't make any sense to linebacker Carl Banks.

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

interesting twist on story - even Krafty did not know Billicheat's plan

Not Even Robert Kraft Knew About the Malcolm Butler Benching

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/07/malcolm-butler-benching-super-bowl-52-new-england-patriots-owner-robert-kraft

Why is it interesting that “even Kraft did not know?” I doubt any owner, with the exception of Jones, would be involved on such a granular level. Especially in the case of last minute scratches. My guess is something happened between warmups and introductions and Bellyache brought the hammer down. 

Just now, K-9 said:

Why is it interesting that “even Kraft did not know?” I doubt any owner, with the exception of Jones, would be involved on such a granular level. Especially in the case of last minute scratches. My guess is something happened between warmups and introductions and Bellyache brought the hammer down. 

Because, as stated in article, Billicheat usually briefs Krafty before game.

1 hour ago, section122 said:

I kind of agree with this but some minor points I have disagreements.  

A pass rusher can be a game wrecker and changer.  I can't/won't argue they won the super bowl last year and almost again this year without him.  That is the nature of the beast though, if they hadn't traded Jones he might have walked last off season.  He was traded as they didn't think they could/would re-sign him.  Don't forget he signed an 83 million dollar deal before last year.

The only other point I disagree with is that Brady had a td catch.  No way was he going to score.  He had a first down for sure but he was at the 28 when he dropped it.  There was an Eagle defender at the 10 as well as 2 more closer that would have had a shot at him.

They went to back to back SBs without him, wining one, close on second.  Picking one game and saying that they lost because Jones or would have won because....Jones (which is what the other poster was clearly inferring) is pure fantasy.  Folks faced far better (a defense full of them) in Minny--and he destroyed them.  

Maybe on the Brady TD pass

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

The most successful HC in the history of the modern NFL has a big ego. Of course he does. You find that surprising and troubling? That's like saying you are surprised that the Pope is a Catholic. Let's get real here. Rex didn't have a big ego? Marrone didn't have a big ego? McDermott doesn't have a big ego? etc., etc., etc. 

Sure they all have big egos. But none of them has such a huge ego  to put their team in a position to lose by having a tantrum and not playing a top defensive player. Stupid call. But I'm happy for it, it was a pleasure to see Brady on his ass on the field after the sack knowing the game was over. 

Edited by Green Lightning

10 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Sure they all have big egos. But none of them has such a huge ego  to put their team in a position to lose by having a tantrum and not playing a top defensive player. Stupid call. But I'm happy for it, it was a pleasure to see Brady on his ass on the field after the sack knowing the game was over. 

You are creating a fiction to coincide with your narrative. Why do you say that the coach had a tantrum? Nothing is farther from the truth. He simply made a personnel decision. That's his prerogative. If anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt it is the coach who has been the successful coach in the history of the modern NFL. 

None of us know what the full story is or the actual reason/s why the coach decided not to play Butler other than on special teams. The mumbling coach is not talking. It may simply be a straight forward football decision mixed in with some disciplinary reasons. It doesn't matter. It's his call. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

You are creating a fiction to coincide with your narrative. Why do you say that the coach had a tantrum? Nothing is farther from the truth. He simply made a personnel decision. That's his prerogative. If anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt it is the coach who has been the successful coach in the history of the modern NFL. 

None of us know what the full story is or the actual reason/s why the coach decided not to play Butler other than on special teams. The mumbling coach is not talking. It may simply be a straight forward football decision mixed in with some disciplinary reasons. It doesn't matter. It's his call. 

It is certainly his right to bench Butler but it is certainly everybody else's right to question it & question or ask if that benching was the difference between a win or a loss.  You & some other posters act like the media can't ever question what BB or Tom Brady does because of their past success.  Well it doesn't work that way, any other coach that benched one of his top 3 or 4 defenders in the biggest game of the year when said player played on 97% of the defensive snaps during the course of the season would get absolutely grilled if it backfired(in which this case it did).  I don't see why BB should be an exception.  Stop being so arrogant & condescending.  

Edited by Gordio