Schefter: Washington Considering the Franchise Tag for Cousins

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

What I am talking about is a reportedly signed contract extension that is widely reported on. What are you talking about?

...I don't think the Agreement can be signed until March 14 when all 2017 contracts expire despite his deal being published......oddly, 'Skins could actually back out I believe.....

2 hours ago, ALF said:

Teams can rescind the franchise or transition tag -- as we saw with Josh Norman last year -- if the offer sheet hasn't been signed.

Once the sheet is signed, the player's salary is guaranteed for that season

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785958/article/what-to-know-about-nfl-franchise-tag-designations

Good luck with THAT Washington! If I were Kirk, I would sign it immediately to screw the skins and make their front office pay even more (34 million back up and massive QB controversy) .... what a dumpster fire of a front office.

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don’t think the league will let them do it. 

On what grounds could they prevent it?  

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I don't think the Agreement can be signed until March 14 when all 2017 contracts expire despite his deal being published......oddly, 'Skins could actually back out I believe.....

It certainly can't and either party could back out. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

They don't have to extend Smith right away as he has an existing contract already in place.  What are you even talking about? 

Let's say the Rouge-hued Native Americans don't extend Cousins.  They will have $17M cap space committed to Mr Smith on the 1st day of the league year.

They are currently reported as having $47.7M of cap space on OTC.  That leaves them with $30.7M.  They need to have what, $34.5M to tag Cousins?  They tag Cousins, they need to move him out the first day of the league year or the trade for Smith doesn't go through unless they extend Smith immediately and drop the 1st year's cap hit.

Spotrac already shows Smith on their roster, and shows them as having $36.2M of cap left, which is enough to tag Cousins and buy a bag of Fritos.

They show as having 18 FA, and presumably want to resign at least a few of those.  And they need to sign rookies.

I think Cousins wants FA.  He wants to entertain offers on a free market, not offers diluted by teams that have $34M of cap to make the trade and are willing to give Washington bon-bons.  I'm Cousins, I make it clear: you franchise me and I sit on my hands and watch you twist until you give up and rescind it.

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a valid point.  Other things being equal, why not be a nice guy and help Washington, but in a trade, other things aren't equal.  The team he's joining would be weakening itself by sending Washington a pick(s), a player(s), or both.  Why would Cousins want to see his future team weakened in any way?

Yep, the last thing he needs is to be nice to Washington. They set the tone that he was expendable. The second they did that is the last second he should have cared about their best interests. He needs to worry about himself and his next team.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Let's say the Rouge-hued Native Americans don't extend Cousins.  They will have $17M cap space committed to Mr Smith on the 1st day of the league year.

They are currently reported as having $47.7M of cap space on OTC.  That leaves them with $30.7M.  They need to have what, $34.5M to tag Cousins?  They tag Cousins, they need to move him out the first day of the league year or the trade for Smith doesn't go through unless they extend Smith immediately and drop the 1st year's cap hit.

Spotrac already shows Smith on their roster, and shows them as having $36.2M of cap left, which is enough to tag Cousins and buy a bag of Fritos.

They show as having 18 FA, and presumably want to resign at least a few of those.  And they need to sign rookies.

I think Cousins wants FA.  He wants to entertain offers on a free market, not offers diluted by teams that have $34M of cap to make the trade and are willing to give Washington bon-bons.  I'm Cousins, I make it clear: you franchise me and I sit on my hands and watch you twist until you give up and rescind it.

Exactly why I said along ago in the thread that it's a risky move if the pursue this course. 

I think it’s clearly stated by the league that the franchise tag is to be used ONLY with the expressed intent to get a long term deal signed for both parties. 

Now, I understand that is not always done. But the teams that have used it could make a decent argument that’s what we want. Even in the Peerless Price kind of play. There is zero chance the Skins are looking for long term deal. The league could easily step in here. 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Note:

Saying the word "Redskins" doesn't make you a racist.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Redskins made a decision that they wanted to go with Alex Smith. What does Cousins owe them? Why should he take a penny less than the market will pay to appease them? 

In addition, the team that will be trading for him will be sending a 2nd presumably. If that is where he wants to go wouldn’t he be better off there if they had another 2nd? He shouldn’t do ANYTHING to help Washington.

unless the Bills trade a 2nd.  Then we still have 2 firsts! I think the only way he does this is if he knows a team out there is going to sign him to a long-term deal.  If so, could they re-work the $34 million next year over several years?  Like 30 mill a year or whatever a QB goes for now! 

Can they actually even give him the tag? 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-redskins/

As of now they have $47M in cap space. But that's without Alex Smith's cap hit. 

Now, we don't know how Smith's deal is structured. But for now, let's say it's $20M this season. That only leaves $27M. Not enough for the $34M exclusive tag. 

And I can't imagine that Smith's cap hit would be as low as $13M for this season (what it would need to be for Wash. to have the $34M they need to tag Cousins). I don't even know if they could do that. 

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This, but also....

There's an element of "either, or - not both" in picks vs a huge free agent signing.  Put in simplistic terms, under the Cap system, you can probably pay an outrageous salary to a QB AND keep a team around him if you draft wisely and have crackerjack player evaluation talent to keep bringing in lower price talent.  OR you can burn picks to draft a QB (as Philly did) and make judicious use of FA signings to put a team around him.

But you can't do both.  You can't give up 2 1st round picks, AND pay the big bucks to a FA QB, and expect to field a strong team. 

I suppose it's possible, but yeah, you're right, do both and you radically cut your chances of success.

Good point.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ALF said:

Teams can rescind the franchise or transition tag -- as we saw with Josh Norman last year -- if the offer sheet hasn't been signed.

Once the sheet is signed, the player's salary is guaranteed for that season

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785958/article/what-to-know-about-nfl-franchise-tag-designations

If I’m Cousins I’d have a pen glued to my writing hand and be ready to sign in an instant! 

I love the idea of working out a deal with washington and kirk cousins...like if we worked out a deal that lets the bills negotiate a contract first id give wahington a second round pick in a heart beat if it guarantees kirk cousins is a buffalo bill.I’d even give the second first round pick if kirk negoiates a fair deal to be the bills qb the next 6-8 years.It could be the best way for the Bills to land him being we have draft capital.It is going to cost a lot more to move up in the draft to draft a qb so if it cost one of our first rounders or one of our seconds we still would be left with more draft picks than normal years...Go Bills!!

1 hour ago, PeterGriffin said:

This wouldn't surprise me at all. 

I posted about how I felt the Vikings could be the perfect fit in the Cousins thread. 

I think it either comes down to them or Denver, but the more I thought about it the Vikings probably make the most sense. They need a QB, easily have the cap space ($57+M iirc) and are poised to compete immediately as well as for many years to come. 

As as much as I'd love the Bills to be high on his list and think that he and McDermott would be a perfect fit, I just don't see it. Not yet anyway. We have a lot more to prove still. 

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

This wouldn't surprise me at all. 

I posted about how I felt the Vikings could be the perfect fit in the Cousins thread. 

I think it either comes down to them or Denver, but the more I thought about it the Vikings probably make the most sense. They need a QB, easily have the cap space ($57+M iirc) and are poised to compete immediately as well as for many years to come. 

As as much as I'd love the Bills to be high on his list and think that he and McDermott would be a perfect fit, I just don't see it. Not yet anyway. We have a lot more to prove still. 

does he want to compete against rodgers and stafford every year? or rivers, mahomes and david carr?  i'd think he picks denver.