Why not make a play for AJ McCarron?

5 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

With each passing day I have less confidence in our ability to draft a good qb. Admittedly I don’t know much about mccarron , though. Anyone got the skinny on this guy?

You  have less confidence in drafting a QB but you have confidence in McCarron? It is going to be a long off season.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

With each passing day I have less confidence in our ability to draft a good qb. Admittedly I don’t know much about mccarron , though. Anyone got the skinny on this guy?

...first step is to see results of Feb. 15 RFA vs UFA arbitrator ruling......several pundits say RFA so then you'll have to see tenders............

Andy Dalton has, for the last what, 6 years been looked at as the definition of average. "The Andy Dalton scale". Not bad. Not good. Just the tepid water of the NFL starting QB scale. And at no point has AJ McCarron made a serious push to unseat that. Now, I understand he may (or may not) be an improvement over what we have now, but what aim for a guy that can't even rise above average?

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Rob Johnson, Scott Mitchell and others come to mind when I hear McCarron’s name.

I might be wrong in the end, but at least your guys actually flashed something. 

Why hasn't he seen the field? Look at the acumen of their coach. McCarron is definitely worth a look if it's at a reasonable deal. There is a reason why he is appealing to the league to change his status to free agent. Cincy won't let him go. Why is that if he's just another replaceable backup? 

Realistically, good QBs seldom hit FA.  Mostly they're back ups, and not necessarily good ones.  Cousins is the best FA QB since Peyton was released by Indy.  Before that, the best QB to hit FA was Brees.    However much some fans may not like it, Taylor may be the best the  Bills can do for a veteran QB.  Cousins is the only likely FA who would be better, and he's going to command big $$$.  Bradford would be better but how long are his gimpy knees going to hold up?  The preseason?  Half a season?  One game?   Both Glennon and McKown are career backups.

Cutting Taylor and bringing in McCarron is the definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.   Taylor is not "the answer" but he's certainly better than McCarron.  Maybe the Bills can bring back Thad Lewis ...

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Realistically, good QBs seldom hit FA.  Mostly they're back ups, and not necessarily good ones.  Cousins is the best FA QB since Peyton was released by Indy.  Before that, the best QB to hit FA was Brees.    However much some fans may not like it, Taylor may be the best the  Bills can do for a veteran QB.  Cousins is the only likely FA who would be better, and he's going to command big $$$.  Bradford would be better but how long are his gimpy knees going to hold up?  The preseason?  Half a season?  One game?   Both Glennon and McKown are career backups.

Cutting Taylor and bringing in McCarron is the definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.   Taylor is not "the answer" but he's certainly better than McCarron.  Maybe the Bills can bring back Thad Lewis ...

If we are going to have a former Bills starter who is a t best a passable backup I’d rather bring back Fitz.