Aaron Williams Announces His Retirement via The Players' Tribune

What a great read! Very well constructed, and full of humbling, personal sentiments. Takes a lot of character for someone to put all of that out there. 

We as fans only "see" a small portion of the lives of players, and in general, our "care" is limited to whether or not a player is available to go. We don't think about the player that lays in the dark, or cries in front of the higher ups. But we're quick to call a guy "glass" if he has injury issues. Sure, they're paid handsomely (some more than others) to play a game for our amusement, but how quickly we forget that these are people. People with feelings. People with families. I get that it takes thicker skin to be a public figure, but some fans get way too serious with it. They're like kids on a playground...cruel. Some even go as far as death threats, over a game! 

Maybe Aaron felt the need to apologise to Bills fans for not being all in at the beginning, but we (all fans, not just Bills fans) aren't so innocent either. 

6 hours ago, DC Tom said:

In March.  And don't even consider drafting anyone who shows an attitude of "But I'm different..."

Or just hire him as "Assistant Coach in charge of teaching rookies to grow the !@#$ up."

yup !!

Edited by 3rdand12
clarificationings

Powerful piece by AW. The league should get him on the rookie symposium circuit so he can share his story and convey to them the importance of never taking the game and the fans that cheer for you for granted. Hell, there are some veteran players who could stand to hear that lesson as well. 

God speed, Aaron Williams. Hope you can make it back to Buffalo for a game or two. 

4 hours ago, Nitro said:

Liked his play, liked him as a person.  Hated that his career was cut short. 

When he was drafted, I said he was better suited as a safety in the NFL.  Glad he got to show how good he was at that position.  

That was the consensus among the scouts around the league as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

Powerful piece by AW. The league should get him on the rookie symposium circuit so he can share his story and convey to them the importance of never taking the game and the fans that cheer for you for granted. Hell, there are some veteran players who could stand to hear that lesson as well. 

God speed, Aaron Williams. Hope you can make it back to Buffalo for a game or two. 

He'll be back in Buffalo for this and said he wants to be involved with the team in some capacity.

At first, I saw the blurb about it being a "must read", and thought "meh, just another brief goodbye". Wrong. It was a really cool message, and I have even more respect for AW (who I really liked when he was here, because I felt he really wanted to win). He really got across some of the tribulations that players go through after a career threatening injury. 

5 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

All the best to AyAyRon Williams.  A true Bill.  As said upthread, Jarvis Landry is a POS, and karma is indeed a female dog.

I like A. Will too, but come on.  Even he said in the article he has no ill will for Landry.  That was a normal hit, not long ago,

encouraged and expected. Coaches told me and every other player I knew to keep our head on a swivel because somebody is coming from somewhere.  Don't get caught.  I still had my moments of getting caught, and  A. Will got caught like every player before him.  Happens to everybody.  The problem is A. Will already had the health issue moreso than the hit itself.  If it wasn't Landry's hit it would have been some other hit because his health was already compromised. Unfortunately, one can't play ball without getting tagged sooner or later.

Edited by purple haze

Loved watching Aaron play...tons of passion and intensity. If not for the injuries, he would have been that Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams type of leader for this team for many years. As McDermott says, he had the right DNA.

And what an amazing article...self-reflective, mature, and appreciative. No question a role model you would want to hold up for your kids and not because he played football, but because of the man he is.

Thanks Aaron...you'll forever be a Bill #23.

5 hours ago, purple haze said:

I like A. Will too, but come on.  Even he said in the article he has no ill will for Landry.  That was a normal hit, not long ago,

encouraged and expected. Coaches told me and every other player I knew to keep our head on a swivel because somebody is coming from somewhere.  Don't get caught.  I still had my moments of getting caught, and  A. Will got caught like every player before him.  Happens to everybody.  The problem is A. Will already had the health issue moreso than the hit itself.  If it wasn't Landry's hit it would have been some other hit because his health was already compromised. Unfortunately, one can't play ball without getting tagged sooner or later.

Completely disagree.  Dirty hit, launched, helmet to helmet.

40 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Completely disagree.  Dirty hit, launched, helmet to helmet.

Yea I don't listen to guys who talk about what their coaches told them. The NFL and elite college game is faster than what them or their coaches could ever imagine it's just pointless to listen to. The play is designed for Aaron Williams to get blindsided, to hit him like that at this day in age, is something that has been taken out the game. This play wasn't 10 or 15 years ago. This was in the modern age of concussions and cte. It was a dirty hit when Landry laid it. 

Also anyone who calls him A. Will is a failed hs jock and I don't care to listen to their opinion for a moment.

Edited by Ol Dirty B