Cousins vs. Trade Up

Cousins vs. trade up  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Sign Cousins or trade into the top 5?

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

What would you think about potentially getting better value with 2 trades up the board versus a single big trade?

I think getting to 11 or 12 first and then going from 12 to 5 would give them a better deal where teams only have to stop down a few picks versus 15...

I could see that 

8 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Trade up for Rosen or Darnold.

As an aside, it's idiotic that FA is (months) before the draft.  Teams try to build through the draft and use FA to patch holes, but they occur in inverse order.

I’ve been saying that about FA all offseason. It would make so much more sense to come after the draft. It allows teams to make decisions that make sense. As an example Tyrod may have some trade value after the draft. He is on a more than manageable contract and could be a placeholder for the team that gets shut out. With the Bills having to decide on the bonus first they likely just walk away.

• Like (+1) 1

A) I think Cousins is a very good QB.

B) I kinda think the point is moot because there are a couple of teams that are better fits - Arizona and Denver. Regardless of their records this past season, they have better rosters than Buffalo at the moment and are in more of a win-now mindset than Buffalo. That's where I expect he ends up. That said, the Bills CAN afford him with relative ease. The thought of this must be one reason why Beane is so bummed about the unanticipated Wood cap charge! I have a feeling the Bills will be in it, but I don't expect them to win. Cousins is going to get a very significant deal from someone given the competition.

Edited by dave mcbride

54 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I know that there are a bunch of threads similar but thought that a poll would help and organize it. 

In lieu of the Alex Smith contract it is realistic to think that Cousins is looking at 5 years, $150M and $90M guaranteed (those are the numbers speculated on Twitter). A trade up into the top 5 is going to cost you 21, 22 and either a player or pick. For the sake of this conversation let’s say it’s next year’s 2nd & you get next year’s 3rd from that team. The trade (as an example) would be pick 4 & the Browns 2019 3rd for picks 21,22 & the Bills 2019 2nd. 

Which route would you go or would you go in another direction? If it is another direction please lay out what the plan would be and be realistic. Please don’t say that you’d hope Darnold slid to 21 or you’d sign Bradford for $6M. 

Kirby, wondering where you get the draft pick cost of a trade-up?

If we could trade up for that, I'd trade up in a heartbeat if our guy would be there.  There are two problems:

1) by pick 4, he very well may not be there, depending on how things roll from now to draft day

2) I don't think that will be the cost of a trade up.  Two low 1st round picks and next year's 2nd, I think, would be the equivalent of expecting to sign Cousins for 5 yr/$125M, $40M guaranteed.  To go from 21 to 4 will I think, take at least 2 more 1st rounders (this year and next) and another pick this year, plus a second pick next year.

But I could be wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, MDFan said:

Cousins represents fools gold.  Not worth near what he will command and will strap the Bills flexibility for roster building for years to come.  For an Alex Smith level deal, yes, but he is not going to sign for that.  Go all in on a top rookie prospect now, and build from there.

I feel the same way about the long term aspect.  Were not a lot of guys here wanting a long term deal for a big name QB just lambasting the Bills over Eric Wood just hours ago?  And not even for what one of Cousins' annual paychecks look like never mind 90 million guaranteed.   Unless Cousins is made out of titanium he has the same chance of a career ending injury as any other NFL player.  It would be our luck that Dareus would come crashing down on Cousins giving Cousins the Theismann retirement plan.

I really like Rosen. I think he is an elite prospect, and the off field stuff doesn't bother me. I get the sense that he is an extremely intelligent guy who feels like he needs to express himself on things he has opinions on. He just has to learn not to take teh bait from reporters.  I don't get the feeling teammates don't like him. He might be a little entitled, but I want my quarterback to have the confidence and to think he is man. I think McDermott is the perfect coach for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Kirby, wondering where you get the draft pick cost of a trade-up?

If we could trade up for that, I'd trade up in a heartbeat if our guy would be there.  There are two problems:

1) by pick 4, he very well may not be there, depending on how things roll from now to draft day

2) I don't think that will be the cost of a trade up.  Two low 1st round picks and next year's 2nd, I think, would be the equivalent of expecting to sign Cousins for 5 yr/$125M, $40M guaranteed.  To go from 21 to 4 will I think, take at least 2 more 1st rounders (this year and next) and another pick this year, plus a second pick next year.

But I could be wrong.

I am using the new draft trade chart (and paying a premium as the team moving up usually does). We are paying the equivalent of about a 3rd round pick over the cost based on the numbers. 

Capture.PNG

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I am willing to trust the process.  However, that said, if they absolutely love a guy.

GIVE UP THE WORLD TO GET HIM.

Give me a truly potential Franchise-10 year QB that would be the foundation for this team as it has been for other teams in the league in exchange for 4 or so picks, some of which pan out, some of which bust, some of which don't fit the scheme or are traded in a couple of years, or we don't re-sign after 4-5 years.

As mentioned before, I'm willing to put the whole "build a team from the draft" on hold for a bit if we/they get a guy that they love.

Yes, it didn't necessarily work out for Washington with RGIII, but it appears to have worked for Philly and the Rams.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

56 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I know that there are a bunch of threads similar but thought that a poll would help and organize it. 

In lieu of the Alex Smith contract it is realistic to think that Cousins is looking at 5 years, $150M and $90M guaranteed (those are the numbers speculated on Twitter). A trade up into the top 5 is going to cost you 21, 22 and either a player or pick. For the sake of this conversation let’s say it’s next year’s 2nd & you get next year’s 3rd from that team. The trade (as an example) would be pick 4 & the Browns 2019 3rd for picks 21,22 & the Bills 2019 2nd. 

Which route would you go or would you go in another direction? If it is another direction please lay out what the plan would be and be realistic. Please don’t say that you’d hope Darnold slid to 21 or you’d sign Bradford for $6M. 

There are definitely flaws into any avenue that the Bills decide to go on this one.

-Signing Cousins? Say goodbye to cap space. Risk overpaying for a good but not great player. Buy you do keep your draft picks.

-Signing Bradford? He can't help getting hurt. Now while we again save draft picks, we run a high risk of tying up a good chunk of change for a guy that can't be on the field 16 games.

-Trade up for Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield/Allen? Going to take a ton of picks to move up. And every one of those guys has some warts on them. With a team that has a ton of holes to fill it just not feasible to give up a ton to move.

Keenum? Was he a one year wonder helped by Shurmer? Bridgewater? How's that knee? And if it's it good shape why would Minnesota just let a young QB walk? 

Tyrod? This is the ONE time I'm hoping Russ Brandon steps in and says there is no way to sell tickets with him as the starter. He's here now and under contract. I can easily see a scenario where we whiff on upgrading the position and we are fed the "He's a playoff caliber QB" BS.

Right now everything in the QB market will hinge on Cousins. Where he signs is crucial to Buffalo... especially if it's not here. No one envisioned Smith heading to Washington...so could there be a team no one is considering looking to sign Cousins? A team like Cincinnati. A team like the 49ers that they could tag Garoppolo and flip him for extra picks? Miami? Who knows.

I think keeping all our picks, signing a bridge and drafting White/Lauletta may be the best way to upgrade the position now and simultaneously build for the future.

We need a quarterback.  If they feel Cousins is the guy, pay him.  If not use the draft capital you need to trade and get the guy you want. Sure, there are many holes that need to be filled, but a QB is by far the most important position.  Drafts are always a crap shoot, there is no reason to believe that 21 and 22 will be great player, and there is no reason to believe that number 3 will be a great play, but you have to try.  Its been over 20 years since this team had a legitimate QB- you have no options but to keep searching and trying. 

13 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

There are definitely flaws into any avenue that the Bills decide to go on this one.

-Signing Cousins? Say goodbye to cap space. Risk overpaying for a good but not great player. Buy you do keep your draft picks.

-Signing Bradford? He can't help getting hurt. Now while we again save draft picks, we run a high risk of tying up a good chunk of change for a guy that can't be on the field 16 games.

-Trade up for Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield/Allen? Going to take a ton of picks to move up. And every one of those guys has some warts on them. With a team that has a ton of holes to fill it just not feasible to give up a ton to move.

Keenum? Was he a one year wonder helped by Shurmer? Bridgewater? How's that knee? And if it's it good shape why would Minnesota just let a young QB walk? 

Tyrod? This is the ONE time I'm hoping Russ Brandon steps in and says there is no way to sell tickets with him as the starter. He's here now and under contract. I can easily see a scenario where we whiff on upgrading the position and we are fed the "He's a playoff caliber QB" BS.

Right now everything in the QB market will hinge on Cousins. Where he signs is crucial to Buffalo... especially if it's not here. No one envisioned Smith heading to Washington...so could there be a team no one is considering looking to sign Cousins? A team like Cincinnati. A team like the 49ers that they could tag Garoppolo and flip him for extra picks? Miami? Who knows.

I think keeping all our picks, signing a bridge and drafting White/Lauletta may be the best way to upgrade the position now and simultaneously build for the future.

Bengals are wayyy too cheap to sign Cousins. Plus they already have Cousins (McCarron). They are similar players, McCarron is just arrogant and less experienced.

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Bengals are wayyy too cheap to sign Cousins. Plus they already have Cousins (McCarron). They are similar players, McCarron is just arrogant and less experienced.

Agree, just using them as an example of a team that might come out of nowhere. No guarantee McCarron is back and maybe Lewis is at the grasping at straws stage of his tenure there. Who knows, maybe they smooth things over with McCarron in the next few months and move on from Dalton. It's a strange league with teams that do strange things at strange times ?