The Cousins Plan

15 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Cousins will have a bunch of teams willing to pay him close to $30m per year and says he cares about winning.  Highly doubt he goes to the Jets where Bowles is a dead coach walking.  I know we all love to trash the Bills, but Cousins won't have a lot if any choices where the Coach and GM situation is as stable as Buffalo's.  Ending the 17 year drought bought McBeane at least 3-4 years.  Cleveland is a horrible situation but on top of that Hue Jackson has close to a 95% probability of getting fired after this season.  And as much as Denver could be the best situation for Cousins, their head coach is definitely on the hot seat. 

I actually think there are good reasons to be believe the Bills are in contention for Cousins...if they want to be. I'd be most worried about Denver I think as competition. 

The million dollar question is does McBeane make a play. You can make a pretty strong argument for trying the Cousins plan first and still be able to move up in the draft if it doesn't work out. I hope we don't ignore the FA route on a QB. Love having all those high picks to use. We could be looking pretty strong next year with Cousins at QB and say Vita Vea, Da' Ron Payne, or Harrison Phillips inside, an edge rusher like Davenport, a LB like Edmonds, Evans or Smith, a playmaker like Sony Michel.........! I getting hot just thinking about it.

Edited by horned dogs

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Do you think the Jets are in a better position going forward than the Bills?  I'd call them about even, but I don't really know. 

My guess is the Cousins doesn't like living in DC and wouldn't like NYC.   My guess is he'd like to get back to the midwest.  

Really depends on whether they fall in love with anyone.   If they fall in love with Cousins, they pay a fortune and get him.   Fall in love with Darnold, pay a fortune in picks to move up.  

Anyone's guess.  

I think it's all about the cash to an extent. The Jets have a ton of cap space, and a solid young group of WRs. In that aspect they are in a better position going forward.  

6 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

I think it's all about the cash to an extent. The Jets have a ton of cap space, and a solid young group of WRs. In that aspect they are in a better position going forward.  

Nah I 100% disagree. The cash is all going to be the same anyway. The Jets organization is not on as firm a footing with Bowles as we are with McBeane. Plus, I seriously doubt a process guy, who wants to win is going to the Jets.He's not a NYC guy, midwesterner.

Edited by horned dogs

3 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

I hope Denver, Arizona, New York, Washington and Cleveland don’t figure that out too. A 5 team bidding war could really drive up the price. 

If you already own a high draft pick, you're rebuilding, and it's a quality QB draft, the best strategy overall for the team is to draft your QB and sign a sturdy older vet to backstop and mentor him.    If Cleveland owns 2 picks in the top 4 of the draft and doesn't draft a QB, they're nuts.  Oh, wait....it IS Cleveland

Washington is not going to get into a bidding war for Cousins unless they're the ones opening the bids.   It's all about the tag.  If they franchise him, they either intend to be the only bidder this year for his long term-contract, or they intend to do what it takes to sign him.  If they transition tag him, they want a chance to put in the final word, but they have to know teams will do their best to structure the contract so they can't answer.

I don't hear Minnesota mentioned as a home for Cousins, but I don't know why.  All their QB are FA.  They made it to the Championship game and arguably flamed out due to QB play that was not quite quite.  They have a stout defense.  Cousins is a better QB than any of their 3, and if they sign him, they could arguably compete for years.  And if I'm Cousins, they're very attractive to me.  They have good WR and a good run game, decent OL.  He wants to win - Check.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

2 hours ago, horned dogs said:

Nah I 100% disagree. The cash is all going to be the same anyway. The Jets organization is not on as firm a footing with Bowles as we are with McBeane. Plus, I seriously doubt a process guy, who wants to win is going to the Jets.He's not a NYC guy, midwesterner.

That's fine. I'm not saying this will 100% happen, but I wouldn't be shocked. I was responding to Shaw's question as he was asking if the Bills or the Jets are in a better position. I think the Jets could be a whole lot better if they're not leaning on the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh McCown.  They have a young promising defense as well. That team also played tough throughout most of it's schedule and lost a lot of close games. 

Trust me, this is the last team I would want to give praise as I live in Jets country and their fan-base is insufferable.  

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you already own a high draft pick, you're rebuilding, and it's a quality QB draft, the best strategy overall for the team is to draft your QB and sign a sturdy older vet to backstop and mentor him.    If Cleveland owns 2 picks in the top 4 of the draft and doesn't draft a QB, they're nuts.  Oh, wait....it IS Cleveland

Washington is not going to get into a bidding war for Cousins unless they're the ones opening the bids.   It's all about the tag.  If they franchise him, they either intend to be the only bidder this year for his long term-contract, or they intend to do what it takes to sign him.  If they transition tag him, they want a chance to put in the final word, but they have to know teams will do their best to structure the contract so they can't answer.

I don't hear Minnesota mentioned as a home for Cousins, but I don't know why.  All their QB are FA.  They made it to the Championship game and arguably flamed out due to QB play that was not quite quite.  They have a stout defense.  Cousins is a better QB than any of their 3, and if they sign him, they could arguably compete for years.

Honestly didn't think about that as a possibility but it makes too much sense. Plus, he played a Michigan and is from Illinois. They also have 51 million in cap space to play with.  

Edited by Captain Murica
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't hear Minnesota mentioned as a home for Cousins, but I don't know why.  All their QB are FA.  They made it to the Championship game and arguably flamed out due to QB play that was not quite quite.  They have a stout defense.  Cousins is a better QB than any of their 3, and if they sign him, they could arguably compete for years.  And if I'm Cousins, they're very attractive to me.  They have good WR and a good run game, decent OL.  He wants to win - Check.

Good point about Minnesota. I think we are more attractive because of our beautiful weather than Minneapolis. They are scary competition.

I've been doing some thinking about the transition tag thing and I have a question for anyone. Why would Cousins sign it...I mean they need to have him sign it right? Can't he wait a week and be FA and go where he wants to anyway?

I seriously doubt the Bills are even thinking about Cousins due to the enormous amount of money he will command. Shoot, you might as well go for Garoppolo or Drew Brees. Even Keenum is going to need a truck to haul his money after this year. 

I'm thinking more along the lines of AJ McCarron (providing he is a FA), Teddy Bridgewater or Sam Bradford. Perhaps Alex Smith as a bridge for now.

10 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Cousins will at least be tagged by Wa so we will have to give up some picks no matter what..

but the transition tag (which is what they will do) won't require both of this year's 1sts. one this year, one next year. however, we do have glenn and tt to play let's make a deal. this should put us in the best spot among the competition. i think washington may become buffalo's bff.  if not there's always philly...foles;)

13 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I seriously doubt the Bills are even thinking about Cousins due to the enormous amount of money he will command. Shoot, you might as well go for Garoppolo or Drew Brees. Even Keenum is going to need a truck to haul his money after this year. 

I'm thinking more along the lines of AJ McCarron (providing he is a FA), Teddy Bridgewater or Sam Bradford. Perhaps Alex Smith as a bridge for now.

I think that we will kick the tires on McCarron and Bradford and then some.

42 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Cleveland goes after Darnold as well as Barkley.  The fourth pick makes a pretty good jumping point along with their other picks to make that realistic.

Money money money ? 

"Is money a part of it? Sure. Is it the only thing? No," Cousins said Tuesday on PFT Live. "It is about winning, and that's what I want more than anything, so I'm going to be willing to make sacrifices or do what has to be done to make sure I'm in the best possible position to win, and that's what the focus is going to be."

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Money money money ? 

"Is money a part of it? Sure. Is it the only thing? No," Cousins said Tuesday on PFT Live. "It is about winning, and that's what I want more than anything, so I'm going to be willing to make sacrifices or do what has to be done to make sure I'm in the best possible position to win, and that's what the focus is going to be."

So, what teams need QB in 2018?

Cleveland, have the #1 overall and Cousins wants to win so he won't go here. Alex Smith?

NY Giants, have Eli and might draft a rookie QB. 

Denver, will draft a rookie QB and sign a vet for a bridge. My guess is Bradford or Cousins. 

NY Jets, McCown a FA and the will draft a rookie QB in the first. could go after Cousins but he won't go there. 

Washington, Cousins due 34 mill with Franchise tag - Alex Smith done deal 

Arizona, Carson Palmer retiring. Will draft a rookie and are looking for a veteran bridge. Keenum?

Buffalo, TT is gone. will draft a rookie and are looking for a bridge QB. 

Minnesota? They have 3 FA QB's on their roster= However, they lost the NFC Championship game due to QB failure of Keenum. They might keep one of their FA QB's

Jacksonville? Blake Bortkes was the 11th best QB in 2017 (yardage) They might be looking to upgrade the QB position like Buffalo is doing. Eli Manning? 

Man O man this offseason should be interesting. 

Whoa, Alex Smith to Redskins

Edited by Nihilarian
Whoa, Alex Smith to Redskins

18 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I've taken some time recently to think bout what direction the Bills should take with the most important position in sports QB. I think the majority of fans have also we fall into basically 3 categories 

#1 Team Trade Up

#2 Sign a Vet and draft QB to develop. 

#3 Sign Cousins and use our draft pks. 

I thought about these 3 plans and read about many opinions on this board . The best one i believe is #3 sign Captain Kirk.

Signing Kirk makes sense on so many levels

When building a team the most important factor is building threw the draft i can't see the Bills giving up nearly 2yrs of pks to bank on a QB developing or even worse not developing . McBeane want to build this team in there image and there not gonna do it via free agency . These guys want custom made culture guys that fit there systems and the best place to find them are in the draft. 

Cousins fits the Bill.

This is where Cousins comes in . Captain Kirk is a process type guy. If the Bills were drafting a QB i believe Cousins would be the type of guy they draft. He has all the characteristics and intangibles there looking for as far as Durability, Leadership, Work ethic and being a God fearing man . Ntm he's ready made top 12 QB in the NFL averaging 4250 yds, 31 TDs and over 65% completions over his last 4 seasons. The arrow is pointing up with Cousins as he's just entering his prime at 29yrs old.  Now i know people will say 27-30 mil per season that's alot of money and i agree it is but the Bills set themselves up for this type of cap hit . Going into 2019 we have nearly 90mil in cap space with no big dollars free agents on the horizon we should be able to absorb that cap hit easily. Ntm we should be able to land cheap talent and starters at the top of the draft.

The Plan

Well this is where the fun starts not only for McBeane but for us the fans. We get to use all our high pks 5 in top 95 to fill major holes on this team.  This gives McBeane great flexibility during the draft to trade down and even collect more assets . Imagine what these 5pks can do for us moving forward these players will get some much needed experience as rookies in 2018 . With these pks and some savvy free agent additions the Bills will be able to again compete for the playoffs in 2018 hopefully get there and win a gm or 2. But the eye of the prize will definitely be on 2019 where we still will have great cap flexibility with a Franchise QB in place and a young nucleus of talent and another draft to really begin to build for the future yrs and make some noise while doing it. 

This is the Cousins plan and hopefully we get to see it happen. 

What does Ntm  mean?

I actually LOVED the billswire mock draft. It's the best mock I've seen and I hate mock drafts.

With that in mind............

the Bills should go hard after Cousins, Norwell and Star in FA........ and the rest of the roster with bargain-type FA's.

Point being, they should now go hard after Cousins cause they need their draft picks to filll needs. And if the draft works out anywhere near how Billswire mocked, the Bills will primed for the first time since the SB years.

The Jets and Browns may have a ton of cap space, but they may prefer to go with a rookie, given the much cheaper salary and promise of the top QBs in this class. They can then use the cap space to fill holes elsewhere.

The Broncos are also in position to take a top QB, but their defense won't be elite forever (already in decline), so I see them as much more likely to go after Cousins and avoid developing a young QB.

But given Cousins consistent play (small drop off this year, but they had a ton of injuries and had a whole new WR corps) and the Bills not being in position to get a top QB, I really hope the Bills join the race with Denver, JAX, etc to try to get Cousins. I think he, or any franchise QB, is totally worth the 25-30 Million

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of signing Cousins. I like the benefit of keeping all our draft picks. If we somehow made the playoffs with Taylor and Peterman we definitely have a good shot to repeat with Cousins. He also seems like a McDermott type of guy as well.

I don't think Cousins has the build or arm talent of a QB that will last into his late 30's. But even if he completely falls apart at 35 that still means he gave us 5 solid years and figure he signs a six year contract, that's not bad. We just have to eat the last year where he totally sucks.

Also, I don't think Kirk will get the astronomical money people think he will get. I think it's closer to $23 million per year than $27 million. I think for Cousins, he was just done with Washington no matter what unless they were going to give him stupid $30+ million kind of money. But I could see him taking less from literally any other team just so he can get out of Washington.