Eric Wood “retirement” press conference

YoloinOhio

45 minutes ago, K-9 said:

So the answer to my hypothetical is “spare me the touch feely.” Got it.

I am of the opinion that little is lost on players on the team and around the league. There are right ways and better ways to do things. 

As for that cap space,  it certainly was already allocated to begin with when they signed Wood to the deal. Now it’s “found money”and I get that it’s an asset to be used strategically. Perhaps they can free up that cap space in another way. 

I'm sorry if I sound cold but that's the NFL. And how is this anything but business? Yes, it was money allocated to a starting center...who is now unable to play. So are we supposed to kiss that cap money goodbye just to be swell guys? And is this a matter of the Bills wanting to not pay Wood or just spread out the cap hit?  I'll let others (MajorPITA) jump to conclusions. I'll wait for the facts.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hokay, so Matt Fairburn is reporting something slightly different that aligns with something Beane said about "we don't have any cap space right now".

The Bills already rolled over their 2017 cap!

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/01/everything_buffalo_bills_eric_wood_said_at_his_retirement_press_conference.html

"Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott later discussed some of what complicated this day. It has to due with the salary cap implications that come with Wood's retirement. The Bills have already rolled over their 2017 salary cap space, so Wood will remain on the roster until the organization can figure out how to handle the situation. At some point, Wood will receive his $4.8 million salary that is guaranteed for injury in 2018. He will also keep the signing bonus money he's already been paid. "

According to this, it is NOT a tussle over who gets the bonus money - it's an NFL procedural thing where the Bills have no cap space at present - Beane actually said "we have no cap space right now".

Wawrow knows more and if the case above was correct, the press conference wouldn't have been delayed an hour and been more than 2 minutes. 

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I don't think he should be name-calling either...

For reference, "retard" (which means someone with an IQ of less than 100) is actually a kinder word than either "idiot" (IQ of 0-25), "imbecile" (IQ of 26-50) or "moron" (IQ of 51-70).

We never flip out at "idiot" or "moron"...

Should we start? :lol:

wrong word. it is associated with developmentally disabled these days. And the word has not become one of the more humorous and acceptable ones as you mention.

Like football stats. Context is everything, and although i like Dude as much as most of us here. Not as much as Gugny of course.
He was using his pissed off voice when he said it. read his previous post.

Chill Dude

12 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Who is the blonde chick in the skank boots?

my Mom. and I am over fifty you sicko

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, eball said:

What I took from that press conference?  Wood and the Beane are working together behind the scenes to figure out how to get Wood paid and help the Bills' cap in the best way possible before announcing any official retirement.

Exactly.  It just illustrates Eric's loyalty to the Bills, and the organization's loyalty to him.

That's a rare thing in this business, and speaks volumes about both parties.  

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Wood said the MRI revealed this dangerous, career ending finding "5 days before my first playoff game".

How is it he was cleared to play that game but no future games?

Incorrect. It was after the playoff game during his season ending physical. 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

OK I guess I misunderstood that: "As you can imagine, this news floored me as I was merely days away from the first playoff game of my career"

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Appreciate the clarification. Wood used a poor choice of words by saying “five days from ...” vs saying “five days removed...”

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

OK I guess I misunderstood that: "As you can imagine, this news floored me as I was merely days away from the first playoff game of my career"

The way he stated it was definitely confusing if you just listen to or read that part alone.

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The way he stated it was definitely confusing if you just listen to or read that part alone.

I thought the same at first.  I looked up when his son was born and it was the Thursday after the jags game since he said he got the news an hour before his son was born.

Edited by The Wiz

2 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

What a Billsy mess.  So typical of this franchise...

I disagree.  Some of this is on Woods.  He should have been much more prepared to say what he needed to say, or he should have canceled.  

In the end, this wasn't a press conference nor was it a retirement speech.  He F'd up.  He was hyperventilating for the entire 1:25 minutes.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

well if you wish/want to be thorough about the matter. This was well done !

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

That's an awesome article on the hijacking of language to protect feels.

:thumbsup:

it is a awesome high jacking language to insult others, is it not? that was what the articles point was. I am sure you read it before pontificating again  :wub:

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Spare me the feel-good narrative. Today it's all about honoring Wood. Next week it will all be about "cap jail!" $3MM in cap space could be the difference in signing a needed free agent. Again, are you so willing to give up that cap space just to be all touchy-feely?  

There 100 million ways to free $3M in space.