The Giants and the #2 pick

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Shurmer has said Eli has plenty of years left today too. The Giants 1st choice is a trade down I am more and more convinced every day. Pick #2 is in play for Buffalo. 

Are you teasing me to make me crazy? Are you raising my expectations in order to crush my soul? Are you toying with me? Do you consider me easy prey for your sadistic games? I would love for you to be right. However, my dream scenario is to make a less blockbuster deal to get Mayfield and pay a lesser price.  :huh:

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Shurmer has said Eli has plenty of years left today too. The Giants 1st choice is a trade down I am more and more convinced every day. Pick #2 is in play for Buffalo. 

I have thought this since the end of the season.  Gettleman having a working relationship with Beane is great news for the Bills.  I'm not a big Darnold guy but I would love to see Buffalo move up and grab their guy!  I'll keep banging this drum but the Bills might be the most attractive trade partner in the league due to having 2 first rounders this year.  A trade down wouldn't force a gm to wait a year to reap the benefits.  

By the new chart it wold cost the Bills both first and both 2nds and they would get 2 and the giants 7th rounder.

By the old chart it would be a bit heftier and cost the Bills a 2019 2nd rounder as well.

Neither are crippling trades especially if the guy turns out to be a franchise type guy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I believe they should add a RB but I actually like Guice better than Barkley (who I love) so I’m the wrong person think about him at 2 lol 

Guice!!! Exactly right Yolo. 

They could pull a trade to the middle of the first round and still get the better back. If I'm them I'm taking a QB but if they stay put and take Barkley shame on them. 

1 hour ago, PolishDave said:

No way.   That would be idiotic.

QB is far more valuable and far more of a game changer than Barkley is likely to be assuming both Barkley and the QB you pick are as good as you hope.

If the Browns do that, they are completely insane.

The Browns have enough draft capital that could likely move up to number 2 from number 4 if they really are worried about missing out on Barkley and/or their QB of choice. That said they have other needs that could be filled at number 4 if Barkley happens to go to the Giants, Colts or team X that trades up. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think people need to think hard about whether Eli Manning has physically declined. To my inexpert eye, he looks like the exact same player he was in 2010 with regard to his throwing ability and mobility. The cast around him has changed, however. He can obviously succeed if he has a good cast around him. 

3 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

Not if they think Barkley is their guy and they fear the Colts or Browns take him in the next couple of picks.  They'll sit at 2 and take him.  

I also think he is in the mix for the Browns @ #1 overall to be honest. 

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

That's a fair point. But they also need LBs and DTs. Players like Vita Vea, Da'Ron Payne, and Marcus Davenport can help any team out. Al Woods and Jonathan Hankins are JAGs. They need a lot of help. 

And they can pick them up in rds 2 and 3.  You just don't pass on a guy like Chubb who has the talent and skills to be a generational guy just because some other team wants a QB.  Teams have to factor in what's going to be the best move for them as well.  I mean put yourself in that GMs shoes.  Would you take a guy that has the talent and skills to be a generational player or would you take more picks just because some other team needs a QB?  If I'm that GM I'm taking the guy that has the talent and skills to be a generational player.  He'll be a big difference maker on my team opening day 2018.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I also think he is in the mix for the Browns @ #1 overall to be honest. 

And if he is then it's a foregone conclusion as to what the Browns are doing with the #4 pick.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Yup. What team has gone 7-9, 8-8, and 9-7 in the last three seasons? Only one I can think of!

More seriously, it's less about them trading down in my view than them not taking a qb and going with Barkley.  The Colts strike me as the ideal trade candidate because they really need help on their front seven and it seems to me that the #21 and #22 slots are the sweet spot for front-seven talent depth in this draft. 

I mentioned this in another thread but I wouldn't be surprised if Tre'Davious White could be made available in a move-up deal for a QB.

If a team is looking at Minkah Fitzpatrick and thinking "cornerback" with him........White is probably Minkah's ceiling as a CB........ so perhaps a team like Indy or Cleveland would be in on that.

My initial guess is it would take 3D and 2 more #1's to get up that high but perhaps they could get up there for much less if 3D is valued by Indy or Cleveland.

And as blasphemous as that sounds because we love 3D.........the Bills might trust that they can relatively cheaply fill CB positions in their scheme......and would rather hold onto one or both of those 21/22 picks while still getting their young QB.    Fwiw....if Carolina is the model.......they don't pay CB's.....so DE's and a great LB might be seen as more likely to be kept into a second contract and a better long term investment than even a proven stud in 3D.

6 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Given their once in a generation draft slot, they'd have to be really sure Eli can and wants to play 3 more years to pass on a QB.

That’s why I think it’s short sighted to pass on a QB at 2. They will get one of the top 2 QBs without giving up a thing. Even if Eli can be resurrected for a year or two why not develop one of these super talented kids behind him? I think he would be a decent mentor. It’s also possible Eli sucks again and they turn to the rookie. But i think they risk winning like 6 or 7 games next year and then stuck drafting too late to get a top QB. Just do it.  Jmo.