Eric Wood has career-ending neck injury; will retire

YoloinOhio

On 1/26/2018 at 1:10 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

I have had my share of disagreeing with moves they have made under Beane/McDermott, but your declaration goes too far with them finishing the season at 9-7, making the playoffs, and being armed with plenty of draft capital to make roster improvements. 

Jim Overdorf is the one who negotiates the contracts including clauses guaranteeing for injury, repeated suspensions due to drug use, etc.  He should be majority of the blame although the management team was told that it was option to keep him so they share in it.

I wonder what happens if later on Wood can get a doctor's clearance to play again.  It will not be the first time a medical decision was reversed,

On 1/26/2018 at 1:17 PM, QCity said:

I love how you question the front office for not appropriately assessing  Wood's risk and in the same post you criticize them for shipping Dareus and Watkins out. You don't understand how incredibly stupid that sounds, do you? 

I think he does. It takes a lot of effort to post so stupidly.

On 1/26/2018 at 2:16 PM, OrtonHearsaWho said:

Are you a troll or a moron?  Serious question because I really can't tell.

Are you saying there are no trolls which are morons?

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I'm sure he must have been playing through some pain during the season but like most players say, "you're always playing hurt".  Wood doesn't strike me as the kind of person that knew something was wrong and was looking to get paid before he was forced to retire.  I think the fact that he did play every snap really signafies that he had no clue (along with coaching/medical/FO staff) that there was something more seriously wrong.  It really does seem like the "wear and tear" turned into something worse for his own well-being.

I don't in any way mean to imply that Wood knew something was wrong and was hiding it for a payday.

I would like to know the depth and quality of the physicals the team performs on players pre-season and prior to contract moves, because it does seem to me that the Bills get stung a bit too often.

On 1/27/2018 at 2:39 PM, Ittakestime said:

Sorry but there has been a lot of racism surrounding this regime. Go look at the reports coming out when Tyrod was benched for Peterman. 

Those reports were a joke. Dan lebatard, who I'm a fan of, had a throw away line about it and the report cited it. He didn't know anything, I listen to his show everyday and it was clear.

The other articles i saw circulate tool his quotes out of context from a Tim Graham article. If you follow this team closely, and are race conscious I think you can see a lot of issues with the team and the fan base regarding race. 

However, I think the Tyrod benching was just awful coaching and analyzing talent. I don't think it had anything to do with race.

Joesixpack can tell you, we don't agree on anything. I'm pretty harsh towards the team and fans on race,  what I think you're saying is way off base.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Acknowledged, something may have happened that went from "wear and tear" to "no longer clear-able" during the season. 

It's just a bit strange since he played every snap and there was no report of an injury.  But you could be correct.

In fact I hope you are correct, because I wish to think well of our new FO

As far as the FO goes, in my opinion it's the same thing as before.

Did they get rid of everyone after the Lawson debacle?

What about the Zay stuff... He apparently had that issue in college, they hired a guy who coached him, and they still had no clue?

This FO will probably prove to be as inept as every other if they don't hit on a QB in the next couple years.

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't in any way mean to imply that Wood knew something was wrong and was hiding it for a payday.

I would like to know the depth and quality of the physicals the team performs on players pre-season and prior to contract moves, because it does seem to me that the Bills get stung a bit too often.

I didn't think you were implying that, was just a general statement.

I agree on the quality of the team physicals/physicians also.  It does seem like we end up getting players that are always hurt or get injured very easily.  Either we are really good at identifying players with glass parts or really bad at finding players that don't get injured.  Seeing a player like Sammy be injured for most of his time here and then be healthy all season this year either means he finally fully healed or the team managed his injuries wrong or both.

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He just said in his press conference that he got the first "stinger" of his career in week 5 and then again in week 6. They did an x-ray and found no significant damage. 

Then as a part of the exit physical they did an MRI and found a disc at c2 & c3 that was "alarming" (per Wood) and forced his retirement. 

Edited by BillsFan4

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

He just said in his press conference that he got the first "stinger" of his career in week 5 and then again in week 6. They did an x-ray and found no significant damage. 

Then as a part of the exit physical they did an MRI and found a disc at c2 & c3 that was "alarming" (per Wood) and forced his retirement. 

Only he didn't retire.

Yet.

Or maybe not.

Who knows?

41 minutes ago, DJB said:

Well this at least provides me with some hope that he can continue. 

....think he said he got other medical opinions which means he cannot continue without serious risk.........the "official announcement" is a formality delay to get him his money while working out the semantics of how to handle this in the best interest of the club as well IMO...........

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Seeing the reaction of most of his teammates makes me realize what a Leadership void he is going to leave in the locker room. I hope someone is ready to step up, especially if Kyle does not come back.

I wish Shady was more of a leader. Just don't get that impression from him. It's not for everyone though. 

• Like (+1) 1

Eric Wood, a gentleman brawler. He isn't the biggest or the strongest but he sure has the heart and tenacity of a champion. He's the closest comparison to Kent Hull I've seen in a while. Thank you for your admirable service Mr. Wood. You are forever a part of the Bills family in my book. Your leadership will be missed.

Edited by Pilsner
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So maybe I'm just slow but after reading JW's article I'm not clear on whether the hiccup yesterday was essentially a last minute effort by the Bills to manage their cap situation, or if it was EWood disputing some aspect of his bonus.

I was hoping Wood was actively (graciously?) working with the team to find a cap friendly "out", but I'm not sure that's the case. 

2 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

So maybe I'm just slow but after reading JW's article I'm not clear on whether the hiccup yesterday was essentially a last minute effort by the Bills to manage their cap situation, or if it was EWood disputing some aspect of his bonus.

I was hoping Wood was actively (graciously?) working with the team to find a cap friendly "out", but I'm not sure that's the case. 

i would expect all sides to do whatever it took to make the most $$$ for their side

12 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Based on what?

watching him play a few years...

he's not a clubhouse leader by any stretch of the imagination, no Pops Stargell or Mark Messier here....