Eric Wood has career-ending neck injury; will retire

YoloinOhio

E Wood was a great player who played a position of little recognition. He loved and embraced all things Buffalo. E Wood was always on the plain helping to bring guys to Buffalo in FA . Great leader who had a career cut too short. He will continue to have a huge positive impact in the world. Keep smiling big man. 

7 minutes ago, CDogg20 said:

I’m trying to find it right now. Once found i’ll edit this post. 

Too many Bills articles in my history lol

Nvm I misread. It says it was “wear and tear”. Still makes me wonder how it couldn’t have been noticed before now if the wear and tear was this bad

Good explanation of the process here

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-eric-wood-injury-neck-retiring-0126-story.html

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Disc herniations or unstable vertebrae (ligament tears, etc) are scary, but very fixable, just fixable to the point that you can continue to be smashed on a football field without significant risk of paralysis.

Again hoping it's just that

So I got a question, SouthNY.  (please no one construe this as in any way suggesting Wood shouldn't retire for his own good as a man, husband, and father!  please!)

Hopefully you remember Jim Ritcher, who played as a guard for the Bills from 1980 to 1993, then two more years for the Atlanta Falcons.  Two pro-bowls, played 10 years without missing a start, and respected around the league for his high quality of guard play.  Bill Romanowski wrote about how he dreaded facing him because he was so good.

Ritcher always wore some kind of "seat back" sticking up from the back of his uniform with a roll around the sides, evidently to protect his neck.  I've never seen anything like it, any more than I've seen the "Magoo" helmet Kelso wore.  Do you have any idea what was the situation that led to Richter wearing the "seat back" and would a situation like that be allowed, or considered too much risk, today?

Here it is:guard-jim-ritcher-of-the-buffalo-bills-l

PS looking for a pic, came across a "where are they now?" interview with Ritcher.  He's a pilot! flying commercially for American Airlines.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

9 hours ago, cba fan said:

So I wonder if he was skiing or surfing or something and suffered an injury. I wish him all the best for a speedy recovery and able to enjoy retirement from NFL with all his mobility working.

Just had a baby boy, week after the playoff game.  Not a time in most husband's lives when they head off for a ski or surf vaca.  Surf's not up in Louisville KY and the skiing is pathetic.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So I got a question, SouthNY.  (please no one construe this as in any way suggesting Wood shouldn't retire for his own good as a man, husband, and father!  please!)

Hopefully you remember Jim Ritcher, who played as a guard for the Bills from 1980 to 1993, then two more years for the Atlanta Falcons.  Two pro-bowls, played 10 years without missing a start, and respected around the league for his high quality of guard play.  Bill Romanowski wrote about how he dreaded facing him because he was so good.

Ritcher always wore some kind of "seat back" sticking up from the back of his uniform with a roll around the sides, evidently to protect his neck.  I've never seen anything like it, any more than I've seen the "Magoo" helmet Kelso wore.  Do you have any idea what was the situation that led to Richter wearing the "seat back" and would a situation like that be allowed, or considered too much risk, today?

PS looking for a pic, came across a "where are they now?" interview with Ritcher.  He's a pilot! flying commercially for American Airlines.

Not sure why Ritcher wore that and I'm surprised more players don't wear more neck protection.  There is a product called the Kerr Collar that one of my son's wore in HS football which limits neck deflection and neck compression.  It's not as obvious when worn compared to what Ritcher wore.

Great product IMO for any kids playing football out there.  Not cheap but worth it. 

Edited by keepthefaith

2 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Not sure why Ritcher wore that and I'm surprised more players don't wear more neck protection.  There is a product called the Kerr Collar that on of my son's wore in HS football which limits neck deflection and neck compression.  It's not as obvious when worn compared to what Ritcher wore.

Great product IMO for any kids playing football out there.  Not cheap but worth it. 

Interesting.  So guys may be wearing something as or more protective, it just doesn't show over the pads like Ritcher's did.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Neck rolls were pretty popular, especially with lineman.

They helped prevent whiplash type injuries, but also severely limit the ability to move the head around quickly, and limit the range as well.

Whiplash injuries to the neck are from getting rapidly over extended (or over flexed forward) in the C-spine (neck) then recoil snapping back the other way in a rebound effect.

This causes not only ligament damage, possible muscle and bone damage in the neck, but also a high percentage of whiplash injuries also cause a concussions through coup-countercoup effect, wherein the brain slams into the front then the back of the skull due to the momentum during the snapping whiplash mechanism.

By limiting the range the neck can actually move, a neck roll would reduce the necks likelihood of gaining enough momentum to cause these injuries.

Back in the day it was all about power and intimidation on the line.

Today's game relies more on speed, streamlined pads, and the lineman have to be able to turn their head quickly with all the high speed blitzes, as well as the spread offenses requiring lots of lineman movement and awareness am around.

A large neck roll limited this.

Also with the emphasis on head protection, and launching/spear techniques banned, the neck roll isn't as necessary.

There is a more streamlined version that goes under the Jersey and protects the clavicle/1st rib region and the lower cervical area.

The kazoo helmet was designed to absorb impact to reduce concussions.

There was a lineman on the 49ers who wore a similar helmet.

Hope that helped :)

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Neck rolls were pretty popular, especially with lineman.

They helped prevent whiplash type injuries, but also severely limit the ability to move the head around quickly, and limit the range as well.

Whiplash injuries to the neck are from getting rapidly over extended (or over flexed forward) in the C-spine (neck) then recoil snapping back the other way in a rebound effect.

This causes not only ligament damage, possible muscle and bone damage in the neck, but also a high percentage of whiplash injuries also cause a concussions through coup-countercoup effect, wherein the brain slams into the front then the back of the skull due to the momentum during the snapping whiplash mechanism.

By limiting the range the neck can actually move, a neck roll would reduce the necks likelihood of gaining enough momentum to cause these injuries.

Back in the day it was all about power and intimidation on the line.

Today's game relies more on speed, streamlined pads, and the lineman have to be able to turn their head quickly with all the high speed blitzes, as well as the spread offenses requiring lots of lineman movement and awareness am around.

A large neck roll limited this.

Also with the emphasis on head protection, and launching/spear techniques banned, the neck roll isn't as necessary.

There is a more streamlined version that goes under the Jersey and protects the clavicle/1st rib region and the lower cervical area.

The kazoo helmet was designed to absorb impact to reduce concussions.

There was a lineman on the 49ers who wore a similar helmet.

Hope that helped :)

Yes, Thanks much!

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GG said:

Managing a team's salary cap has nothing to do with feeling bad about Wood's injury.  

Careful that you don't slip off your soap box with that wet argument.

I didn't mention Woods injury, did I?

8 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

The Bills have very little cap space. Already have like 14 million in dead money from Dareus. 

The more reports that come the more angry I get. Someone has some explaining to do. 

So Wood just stole close to 5 million and left us with 10 million dead cap? 

Us? I didn't realize you were Mr or Mrs Pegula. How about you leave the cap and team management to those who actually know what they are talking about.