Bills go from 24 to 7 in Gosselin ST Rankings - FIRE CROSSMAN NOW! ;-)

The return games were not very productive.  A good return for us was one where we didn't have any penalties, and where we returned kickoffs at least to the 20.  Usually if we brought it out of the end zone, we didn't get to the 25. 

Part of the problem might have been the lack of talent of the returners, but most of the time our guys were running into solid walls of defenders or didn't have time to do much on punt returns.  Why did other teams have more opportunities? 

The coverage units, and the punter and kicker, all played well for the most part.

17 minutes ago, White Linen said:

We need a less aggressive kickoff return.  When that ball is kicked into the endzone, kneel and stop running out.  

This times 100 - seriously how many returns have been from the end zone versus how many drives have started from the 20 or less?  Do some analytics on that!  Take the damn knee and 1/4 of the football field every time.  The coverage team only has to run a short distance these days anyways.  Take the free yards.  This is MADDENING to see someone 2-3 yards deep in the end zone only to watch them make it to MAYBE the 15.......take the DAMN KNEE! 

GO BILLS

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The ST improved but again the Bills put a lot of resources towards it. That is a major factor. The Bills kept a lot of fringe NFL players to be core ST players. Some teams have better depth guys than Andre Holmes and Joe Webb. It depends on your priorities.

you would think if it was that big of a priority maybe they would try and find a return man worth a crap....

26 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

It indicates we're tied for 1st place w/ zero giveaways on ST.  Didn't we fail to cover 2 onside kicks (I distinctly remember at least one)?  I would think those count as giveaways.

Not really as you are kicking the ball to the opposition - now if you recover that on sides kick would be a takeaway.

Just outa curiosity what is the "reputation" ranking?  And how in the things all holy does SaviorPeterman have triple digits????

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The ST improved but again the Bills put a lot of resources towards it. That is a major factor. The Bills kept a lot of fringe NFL players to be core ST players. Some teams have better depth guys than Andre Holmes and Joe Webb. It depends on your priorities.

Truth.  Lots of UFA's on ST's.  Gonna be interesting next year.  Crossman is clearly a Dow Joneser tied to the talent.  Competent ST coach, but Bobby April or the late great Bruce DeHaven, he ain't.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

Through 17 games this year (correct me if I'm wrong)....

ZERO blocked punts

ZERO blocked FGs/PATs

ZERO KO Return TD

ZERO Punt return TD

I don't remember Bills even getting close to a blocked kick either.

Bills Kickers and coverage teams are fine... but would be nice to block a kick here and there and return 1 or 2 a season.

• Like (+1) 1

New punt returner?   yeah, sure.  New kick returner?  Maybe not a big deal.  Looking at all the games I've seen, kickoff coverage has become so consistent (or maybe it was rule changes that affected what return teams can do) nobody is consistently effective at running back kickoffs from the endzone.  For every big return from the endzone, there are dozens of returns that fail to get to the 25 yard line.  If I were the special teams coach, I would tell my returners to down any kickoff that reaches the endzone in the endzone.