Pats create PI when they are losing

Matt_In_NH

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

This is all the more reason why I don't like defensive PI being a spot foul. Just throw it up 50 yards down the field into double coverage and get the penalty. Do the college rule 15 yards. It works fine in college why wouldn't it work fine in the nfl

We had this argument in another thread, but the reason they haven't switched that rule is NFL QB's are incredibly accurate compared to most college QB's.  If an NFL WR blows buy you your only choice would be to dive and take out their legs knowing it's only a 15 yard penalty.

16 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Agreed so you have to be a good actor.. If you abuse it you'll get a reputation for it.  

And their are a lot that abuse it...

its a disgrace to the beautiful game of football . Mel Blount was a guy I wanted to play like.

Fast, physical, wanted the ball, got the Ball. Defense is the counter to offense

and the league is going down a one way street right now 

1 hour ago, DC Bills Fan said:

All that did was leave 55 seconds on the clock for  ... the Jags to take a knee twice.

No PI, the Pats still get a TD, and the Jags only have to take a knee once.

That is exactly what I said...

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s why you throw the ball down the field. It’s caught, PI, intercepted or incomplete. Half of the results are good and if it’s 3rd down an interception 50 yards down the field isn’t bad; it is a punt. 

One more thing though, think back to the last few weeks and how many balls were thrown down the field. These teams attack vertically!!  Everyone knows where I stand on big plays and speed though. I will get off of my soapbox.

but who punts on 3rd down?

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

And their are a lot that abuse it...

its a disgrace to the beautiful game of football . Mel Blount was a guy I wanted to play like.

Fast, physical, wanted the ball, got the Ball. Defense is the counter to offense

and the league is going down a one way street right now 

I agree the league has been watered down...  way to much tilt towards offense and the passing game...  Miss the game being played the 1st 30 years of the modern NFL

1 hour ago, thunderingsquid said:

http://www.12up.com/posts/5954752-5-bad-calls-by-refs-that-cost-the-jaguars-the-afc-championship

Awful.  Just awful.  What have they done to this game?  I guess they calculated out that *pats hate helps ratings.  Nothing more nothing less. 

#3 and #2 were clearly penalties.  On the Cooks PI, you can see Ramsey grab Cooks and pull him backwards.  On Gronkowski's hit, it's helmet to helmet, clearly.

I didn't see the Delay of Game one that closely, as my 2 year old was running around the house and someone had to keep track of him.  It didn't seem that bad, though. 

On Myles Jacks fumble recovery, that one does suck for the Jags.  Pretty quick play that I also assumed was over until seeing the replay. 

On not one call being against the Pats, well, that I can't argue.

3 hours ago, mattynh said:

This is very clearly a strategy Brady uses when he cant move on offense. He just launches it 50 yards down the field into double coverage and like 1/3 of the time he gets a PI call in his favor. The two calls yesterday seemed legit so dont take this as a refs love the Pats thread. I am just pointing out that this is clearly their strategy and they probably coach the receivers to make sure contact is made trying to get to the ball.

One thing they do in that situation is the receivers are very good at coming back to the ball to create the interference.   They do it all the time. 

It's just another example of how extraordinarily well coached and prepared they are.   Late in the game yesterday, on the play that Gilmore made the great leaping defense of the throw, the receiver didn't do what the Pats' receivers do.   He kept running downfield to make the over-the-shoulder catch if the ball got through.   It was the wrong play.   Put on the breaks, go up for the ball and Gilmore runs right into you.   Even though Gilmore clearly was playing the ball, the receiver gets the interference call on that play every time.   The receiver allowed Gilmore to make the play instead of taking the penalty.  

Just now, ddaryl said:

I agree the league has been watered down...  way to much tilt towards offense and the passing game...  Miss the game being played the 1st 30 years of the modern NFL

Now because of Tom Brady you cannot hit QBs low in the pocket anymore either.

so you can't hit them high(which is fine)

and you can't hit them at the knees or lower which elimates diving shoestring sacks as well

now in an extremely fast game , you are asking defenders to hit a strike zone as well after beating their man

Tom Brady is playing till he's 40 because you can't breathe on him anymore 

i digress it gets me to frustrated 

• Like (+1) 1

The Pats do this and plenty of other things that are not really in the spirit of the game. Many would call it gamesmanship or being smarter than everyone else. I'm positive they've got a department in the organization that focuses on this type of thing and techniques that will/won't be called depending on the circumstances. 

Having said that, I've  liked how the games in the playoffs have been officiated for the most part. I'm a fan who doesn't want too much involvement of the officials. If it is blatant or unfair to one side or the other or a safety issue.... well that's what the officials are for. It must be the old hockey player in me wanting the players to decide games. The only call I didn't care for yesterday was the first PI call, by the letter of the law ...maybe, just too ticky-tack for me. I think it is too easy to throw the ball up and penalize defenders, make the offense earn it more.

31 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

We had this argument in another thread, but the reason they haven't switched that rule is NFL QB's are incredibly accurate compared to most college QB's.  If an NFL WR blows buy you your only choice would be to dive and take out their legs knowing it's only a 15 yard penalty.

This doesn't make sense.   If you're talking about the situation where the guy blows by you, that's something that happens within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage, so a 15-yard penalty makes sense.   When people are talking about is the downfield plays where the defender hits the receiver early or holds an arm down or something like that.   The problem with that being a spot foul is that some of the time those penalties are close calls, the defender isn't intentionally interfering, and his team gets hit with a 35-yard penalty.   That isn't right.  

Now, if they changed them all to 15 yards, maybe you'd start getting more intentional pass interference, and I suppose that would be a problem.  Maybe you'd have to make intentional pass interference an unsportsmanlike conduct call - two of those and you're out of the game.   Then of course there would be arguments about whether the ref was right to call it intentional, but that would still be better than now, where a guy is making a legitimate play but gets there too early and gets tagged for 35 yards.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not sure if that’s sarcasm? If it falls incomplete you would punt on the next play. If you throw it 50 yards down the field on 3rd down and it gets picked it’s a net 50 yard punt.

It's a serious comment. Announcers say this all the time and it should be mentioned that you don't punt on 3rd, so it's not the same as a punt. I understand your point and their point, but still, nobody punts on third down.  A punt on 4th down is often the smartest move to make, an interception on 3rd down is never a smart or good move. It's not the end of the world, but something that's always bugged me.

13 minutes ago, klos63 said:

It's a serious comment. Announcers say this all the time and it should be mentioned that you don't punt on 3rd, so it's not the same as a punt. I understand your point and their point, but still, nobody punts on third down.  A punt on 4th down is often the smartest move to make, an interception on 3rd down is never a smart or good move. It's not the end of the world, but something that's always bugged me.

If it falls incomplete you punt on the next play. It is virtually the same. A punt can get run back or whatever. Asked a different way, “what percentage of punts are net 50 yards?” That’s what we are discussing in my scenario. The ball is caught, a penalty occurs, it falls incomplete and the team has to punt, it is intercepted 50 yards down the field and the team doesn’t punt. The interception is the equivalent of an incomplete pass and a good punt (assuming that the guy is tackled immediately). 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wait.....do other NFL QB's know about this "strategy"?? 

You've blown the lid off this man!!

Anyway, the PI call before the half wasn't double coverage.

Take it easy man I don't think I have uncovered some secret here.   Do other teams do this? yes.   No one is as successful at having it work than the Pats though.  Shaw66 is right, the WR's are coached to draw the flag, I am convinced of it, I am sure they practice it when most teams I bet  do not.  

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If it falls incomplete you punt on the next play. It is virtually the same. A punt can get run back or whatever. Asked a different way, “what percentage of punts are net 50 yards?” That’s what we are discussing in my scenario. The ball is caught, a penalty occurs, it falls incomplete and the team has to punt, it is intercepted 50 yards down the field and the team doesn’t punt. The interception is the equivalent of an incomplete pass and a good punt (assuming that the guy is tackled immediately). 

I understand your point of view on this. I'm not going to argue about it, you're an excellent poster on here and I'm not looking for a fight. It's a pet peeve I guess. You don't punt on third down, that's all.

Just quickly- you can fake on 4th down, go for it on 4th, have a defensive penalty on 4th, PR fumble the kick...but you can't if you throw an INT on 3rd.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I honestly don't think that would be an issue. Those 15 yard penalties will add up to

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

I understand your point of view on this. I'm not going to argue about it, you're an excellent poster on here and I'm not looking for a fight. It's a pet peeve I guess. You don't punt on third down, that's all.

Just quickly- you can fake on 4th down, go for it on 4th, have a defensive penalty on 4th, PR fumble the kick...but you can't if you throw an INT on 3rd.

You can also have a punt returned for a TD (or any yardage), commit a face mask, hold and be forced to punt again, etc... I’m not saying that any team would elect to punt on 3rd down (outside of the rare quick kick). I’m not trying to be difficult either. The point is just if you gave the team the option on 3rd down to hand the ball to a team 50 yards down the field or to line up to punt on 4th down I think that they would pick the 1st situation 100% of the time. Sure it’s possible that they hit a 65 yard punt or a holding call make sure it a net 58. All scenarios are possible both good and bad. I am just adamant that they would take a net 50 over the dice roll of a punt. It is like declining a penalty. A bird in the hand...

• Like (+1) 1