Pats create PI when they are losing

Matt_In_NH

1 hour ago, mattynh said:

This is very clearly a strategy Brady uses when he cant move on offense. He just launches it 50 yards down the field into double coverage and like 1/3 of the time he gets a PI call in his favor. The two calls yesterday seemed legit so dont take this as a refs love the Pats thread. I am just pointing out that this is clearly their strategy and they probably coach the receivers to make sure contact is made trying to get to the ball.

That’s why you throw the ball down the field. It’s caught, PI, intercepted or incomplete. Half of the results are good and if it’s 3rd down an interception 50 yards down the field isn’t bad; it is a punt. 

One more thing though, think back to the last few weeks and how many balls were thrown down the field. These teams attack vertically!!  Everyone knows where I stand on big plays and speed though. I will get off of my soapbox.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Sweats said:

At least the Pats have a QB that doesn't mind launching the ball downfield, no matter the outcome.

God, how I envy every team in this league with a QB that can throw a ball.

you should find a new tune to sing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

Can y'all Brady fan boys just stop before you need your stomach pumped?

!@#$ that team. I hope that city gets blown up, their players die miserably in a fire, and Belichick is found guilty of it all.

Please, just stop. Go to a god damn Patriots board if you want to mouth pump them.

This x1000.  Bigly. 

28 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Wow, not everyone on these boards is typing next to a box of kleenex....

The Jags lost the game on their own, don't get me wrong.  But the PATs definitely have the 'unbeatable Tiger Woods air' to them, which makes opponents crumble under pressure... AND makes it easier for a ref to throw a flag.

The PI call at the end of the half was a terrible call based on that exact play NEVER getting called in the regular season games.  However... I would still have bet the PATs scored a TD at the end of the half regardless of this one call.

All that did was leave 55 seconds on the clock for  ... the Jags to take a knee twice.

No PI, the Pats still get a TD, and the Jags only have to take a knee once.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Hate it, but it's smart.

IF Brady throws a 3 prayers into double coverage he is getting the PI at least once. It's free yards. Without PI they go into the half down 14-3.

Yes, smart to find yet another way to bend/stretch the rules. 

At what point did things cross over from goat coach and qb  to "just give it to em" because he's perceived as the goat.?  They get so much of the benefit of the doubt that I think that their success is just riding on that now.  And Kraft runs the league esp the refs union.  That helps. 

This is all the more reason why I don't like defensive PI being a spot foul. Just throw it up 50 yards down the field into double coverage and get the penalty. Do the college rule 15 yards. It works fine in college why wouldn't it work fine in the nfl

• Like (+1) 2

All i know is that fumble was a TD, that play should of never been blown dead. Once Jack had possession it was easy to see no one touched him. The NFL loves the Pats there is no doubt about it.  These bad calls are not a matter of coincidence because naturally coincidence goes both ways at some pt. The Pats get the calls. Until the day the next WWE superstar shows up and smacks Brady over the head with the steal chair this will continue to happen.

• Like (+1) 2

That's the beauty of the deep pass - and other teams do it too.  There's little to lose doing that late in a half.  Best case: reception of PI.  Worst case it's a 50 yard punt.  I'm sure the plan was to send Cooks along the sideline and throw the ball inside so he'd have to go through the defender to get it.  If the defender is staying stride for stride with Cooks, and doesnt get a clear read on the ball, he's trapped.

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

If I'm WR and I know I don't have enough seperation on a long ball I would adjust my stride and get the defender to bump me and then I would ham it up after contact to draw the flag.

That is pretty much what incidental contact is in the NFL.

a ref has to be able to spot when a WR hams it up...

the DB has just as much right to the Ball as a WR

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

Can y'all Brady fan boys just stop before you need your stomach pumped?

!@#$ that team. I hope that city gets blown up, their players die miserably in a fire, and Belichick is found guilty of it all.

Please, just stop. Go to a god damn Patriots board if you want to mouth pump them.

I got an irreversible warning point for making a post like this. Please be careful. I enjoy reading what you have to say. Apparently there's no way to get warnings removed either!

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

All the PI calls were 100% legit yesterday.

The end of the first half one was not PI, not even close to PI.  #1 Receiver went out of bounds so how is he eligible?  #2 ball thrown by golden god brady was at least 5-7 yards beyond receiver who was on the wrong side = uncatchable therefore NO PI.  #3 Jags player and Pats player are battling equally for the ball. why is penalty on Jags player? #4 Pats player bats Jags player with his arm in the head! = PI on Jags player???? The PI in the 2nd half was legit, the first half one was not!!

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

unfortunately, this is true unless you either: (1) have a clueless ref, which a lot are; or (2) are playing the Pats**

7 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

The end of the first half one was not PI, not even close to PI.  #1 Receiver went out of bounds so how is he eligible? Official didn't see that he went out of bounds therefore he remains eligible. Had he gone out of bounds and sat down on the bench and then re-entered the playing field he would still be eligible because the official wouldn't have seen that either.  #2 ball thrown by golden god brady was at least 5-7 yards beyond receiver who was on the wrong side = uncatchable therefore NO PI. While playing New England, a pass can not be deemed "Uncatchable" unless the ball reaches the stands and a fan catches it. Said fan must be in the 17th row at a minimum. #3 Jags player and Pats player are battling equally for the ball. why is penalty on Jags player? Because it was a New England receiver and a Jags defender. #4 Pats player bats Jags player with his arm in the head! = PI on Jags player???? Yes. The rules clearly state that any New England player may maul a defender at any time during a game. Even after the whistle has blown. Any retaliation or any action resembling what the New England player is doing is a penalty. The PI in the 2nd half was legit, the first half one was not!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

unfortunately, this is true unless you either: (1) have a clueless ref, which a lot are; or (2) are playing the Pats**

As a former DB it kills me. I would never survive in a ticky tacky game like today 

I used to tell WRs at the line that i hope they came to play because it's gonna be a long day. I would probably be in line for a long day of penalties today :(

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mattynh said:

This is very clearly a strategy Brady uses when he cant move on offense. He just launches it 50 yards down the field into double coverage and like 1/3 of the time he gets a PI call in his favor. The two calls yesterday seemed legit so dont take this as a refs love the Pats thread. I am just pointing out that this is clearly their strategy and they probably coach the receivers to make sure contact is made trying to get to the ball.

Wait.....do other NFL QB's know about this "strategy"?? 

You've blown the lid off this man!!

Anyway, the PI call before the half wasn't double coverage.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Agreed so you have to be a good actor.. If you abuse it you'll get a reputation for it.