Gilmore is now beloved in NE (Yahoo Article)

BigDingus

Just now, BigDingus said:

They're talking about Gilmore right now on Dan Leobatard show.

They're calling it the Patriot's special "cornerback levitation" play, where they unleash their super hero corner to defy gravity & stop a perfect throw by Bortles. 

Seriously, they're talking about him defying the laws of gravity, and going nuts describing how amazing the play was.

He had better coverage on that deep route where he dropped an INT.

16 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

It's true. But we love the underdog guys like Fred Jackson and Stevie Johnson (before he got big) and Lorenzo Alexander. Hell, we LOVED Jerry Hughes until he got the contract, now he's getting tons of hate on these boards. Mario Williams didn't single-handedly get us to the playoffs year one, so he got hated. Then he became a multi-time pro-bowler and a top 25 player, so things got quiet. 

But then Rex came into town, misused his team, then the Mario hate returned with a vengeance. Gilmore, Dareus, Clements, Byrd (before he got the money but when we knew he would), McGahee (because he made jokes about the city), Jason Peters (when we knew he'd command money), etc. Hell, we hate our 1st round picks in general. Lawson, McGahee, Maybin, Losman, Watkins, Dareus, Spiller, Manuel, Gilmore, McKelvin, Whitner, McCargo, Mike Williams... I think the only ones we liked were Lynch and White (for now), and Woods who most are neutral on.

So wrong, it's not funny. Shady got a big deal and NO ONE hates on him. Why? he performed. What people around here can't stand (myself included) is players who get the big dollar contract and don't perform to the level the contract dictates. Half those guys on your list were terrible players (Whitner, McCargo, Mike Williams, Maybin, Losman and Spiller). Peters GOT a bigger contract, and then demanded more. Byrd proved not to be worth it, same with Gilmore and Dareus.

You people with the revisionist history need to check yourselves.

Edited by joesixpack
crimes against the English language

1 hour ago, teef said:

i'm not bashing gilmore here for the record.  he's a solid cb, i just dont' see how that play made him a hero.  was the timing right though...of course.

Not quite the AFC Championship game, but Coy Wire was one of the biggest whipping boys ever until he blocked a punt to help the Bills beat the Dolphins. Fans will forgive and forget if you start to perform.

• Like (+1) 1

Gilmore has played well for the Pats since coming back from injury week 9 on. He made an outstanding play to end the Jags season.

I'm happy for Gilmore. The guy never was a complete tool while playing with us. I wonder how he or Darby could have performed with our current safeties?

Edited by Real McCoy

35 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Says the guy whose contribution to this thread is:  "The guy makes 1 big play and gets burned for 5, then tells everyone he's a top 5 CB and wants to get paid like one. He's slightly above average"? And it's me who should be criticized for not bringing in facts? Jeez.

You're right of course. It's not like Stephon got burned for 29 yards literally 4 plays before he actually made a play on the ball. Oh wait, yes he did.  

17 minutes ago, Rico said:

Not quite the AFC Championship game, but Coy Wire was one of the biggest whipping boys ever until he blocked a punt to help the Bills beat the Dolphins. Fans will forgive and forget if you start to perform.

Very true. I suppose you're just as good as your last play in many regards. 

44 minutes ago, stony said:

He had better coverage on that deep route where he dropped an INT.

It was actually tipped by the receiver who was reaching over right before it passed through his arms. He didn't drop it.

24 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

You're right of course. It's not like Stephon got burned for 29 yards literally 4 plays before he actually made a play on the ball. Oh wait, yes he did.  

Actually, that's not what happened. He had excellent coverage on the play and Bortles underthrew it pretty badly. It's hard to defend passes like that, as I'm sure you know. The receiver made a heads-up play.

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

Yeah.

The good CBs in this league never get burned for 29 yards. That's a well-known fact.  

Not to mention that Gilmore was actually ahead of the receiver on that play. Bortles made a really nice back shoulder throw. It was good coverage.

So, tell me, Gilmore being so bad must've been toasted a lot during this game, right? Could you quick post the other ten or twelve completions a lousy CB like him must've allowed into his coverage? Because he had two terrific coverage plays, the one to seal the game and the one at 6:41 in the 4th where he was again running ahead of Westbrook and almost picked one off, though Westbrook reached in and knocked it out. So according to your five to one ratio, he must've had 10 bad plays. Could you list them?

Edited by Thurman#1

7 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah.

The good QBs in this league never get burned for 29 yards. That's a well-known fact.  

Not to mention that Gilmore was actually ahead of the receiver on that play. Bortles made a really nice back shoulder throw. It was good coverage.

So, tell me, Gilmore being so bad must've been toasted a lot during this game, right? Could you quick post the other ten or twelve completions a lousy CB like him must've allowed into his coverage? Because he had two terrific coverage plays, the one to seal the game and the one at 6:41 in the 4th where he was again running ahead of Westbrook and almost picked one off, though Westbrook reached in and knocked it out. So according to your five to one ratio, he must've had 10 bad plays. Could you list them?

You're clearly just sitting next to your Gilmore shrine lamenting the loss of your patron. I never said the guy was an awful CB. Gilmore is inconsistent and a poor tackler and is not worth what you or he believes he is worth. He is not the greatest thing since sliced bread as you would have us all believe. 

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

So wrong, it's not funny. Shady got a big deal and NO ONE hates on him. Why? he performed. What people around here can't stand (myself included) is players who get the big dollar contract and don't perform to the level the contract dictates. Half those guys on your list were terrible players (Whitner, McCargo, Mike Williams, Maybin, Losman and Spiller). Peters GOT a bigger contract, and then demanded more. Byrd proved not to be worth it, same with Gilmore and Dareus.

You people with the revisionist history need to check yourselves.

Peters wildly outplayed his contract.

The reason he demanded more was because the Bills signed him to a pretty good contract for an RT where they played him and right after signing him to that contract they switched him to LT where he was instantly one of the best in the league. LT contracts are higher. Peters was outperforming that contract from about five weeks in. And yet he was hated. Is a pretty likely hall of famer at this point.

Gilmore is proving worthy of that contract. The Pats are perfectly happy with having made that move.

I have no hatred for Stephon (except that he is a patriot....but I dont hate Gilly either)

But lets be real here

- Gilmore was not playing well for the patriots earlier in the year.....it was talked about quite a bit.

- Gilmore was totally playing not to get hurt in that last year in Buffalo

- Gilmore was asking for a HUGE contract......and the bills are rebiulding and Gilmore's production was not matching his pay

And then last but not least.....Tre White.....who is a BETTER cover corner for a much smaller salary.....in the amount of money it would have cost for Gilmore we biult a all pro secondary.....I will take that.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

You're clearly just sitting next to your Gilmore shrine lamenting the loss of your patron. I never said the guy was an awful CB. Gilmore is inconsistent and a poor tackler and is not worth what you or he believes he is worth. He is not the greatest thing since sliced bread as you would have us all believe. 

You're clearly sitting in your Bills shrine crying like a baby when anyone good gets away.

And if you said that Gilmore is inconsistent and a poor tackler and is not worth what he got ... you're wrong and making a dumb point. I didn't say he's great. But yeah, he's very good. Worth his contract.

Still waiting for your list of all the bad plays he made in that game. You were pretty quick to point out one. So there must have been a ton of others you found while you were looking?

Right?

I look forward to the list.

21 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

I have no hatred for Stephon (except that he is a patriot....but I dont hate Gilly either)

But lets be real here

- Gilmore was not playing well for the patriots earlier in the year.....it was talked about quite a bit.

- Gilmore was totally playing not to get hurt in that last year in Buffalo

- Gilmore was asking for a HUGE contract......and the bills are rebiulding and Gilmore's production was not matching his pay

And then last but not least.....Tre White.....who is a BETTER cover corner for a much smaller salary.....in the amount of money it would have cost for Gilmore we biult a all pro secondary.....I will take that.

That's not being real, John. It's being partial. He wasn't asking for a contract that was out of line. If there's one thing the Pats don't do, they don't overpay big FAs from other teams. They paid him a big salary. Because he had shown he was worth it. And now he's living up to that contract.

And yeah, he had a bad beginning of the year in N.E. Again, he wasn't fitting in, hadn't absorbed the system. But since about halfway through the year he's figured things out and is playing extremely well, very much playing up to the contract. 

Yeah, Tre might be better. But nobody else on our roster is. If we'd been able to keep Gilmore and pair Tre with him it would have been a terrific CB duo. We probably would have if Whaley hadn't left us in such crappy cap shape.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

Gilmore made a spectacular play on that pass and deserves full credit for it. He was a great player in his first years here but trailed off in his last year. That play reminded me of what I liked about him here. On the other hand if Gilmore makes that exact same play for the Jags VS Gronk or Edelman the refs would mysteriously call it pass interference .

• Like (+1) 1