Glad we let Marrone walk...

bills6969

3 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

Can we all just agree that ownership really screwed the pooch by not giving Marrone what he wanted?  

We don't know what he wanted but yes. The only thing I'll say is maybe Marrone was a jerk and when Pegula came in all he heard was what a jerk he was. I don't blame ownership too much. 

The Bills would have been a very good team though for next 2-3 years had Marrone and Schwartz stayed. 

2 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

After fighting to get them extensions?  This is the narrative?

He died on his sword to get raises and extensions for his staff? Is that the narrative? Yeah, he was a paragon of virtue. Believe what you want, no need to rehash history.

Congrats to Marrone and the Jags. Couldn’t happen to a more miserable prick.

It'd just be nice to see the Bills be able to win a game like this. 

When the defense isn't able to make stop after stop, and the opposing offense is putting up points, you'd like to see your own offense go out and carry the load. The Bills can't do that.

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Marrone took a team that Gus Bradley built into an elite defense and simply added a RB. That’s it. I am still not seeing how he some great coach. His offense— which is his forte— is on the same level as the Bills.

Gus Bradley was fired in week 15 after winning only 2 games on the season.  Marrone had a 10 win season, won his division, and is taking his team to the conference championship game.  If you think the difference is just that they simply added a running back you are an idiot.

PS.. the Jags ranked 6th in offense.  The Bills 29th.

Edited by Scott7975

39 minutes ago, napmaster said:

Marrone had a three-day out clause in his contract in the event of an ownership change.  So,

he could stay and deal with EJ as his QB, Whaley as his GM, and earn $4M

--OR--

he could leave, earn $4M, and likely get the Jets HC job and get paid another $5M. 

He would have been Doug Moron if he stayed.  Blame Whaley for giving him such an asinine out-clause.

The way pay works he doesn't get the money if he earns it elsewhere.  So lets say another team paid him 3 mil.  He would only collect 1 mil from the Bills.  

Marrone was a good coach.  Hackett is better than people want to admit.  They just had crap QBs and a not so good RB.  Maybe he wasn't very likeable.  I couldn't care less. I just want a coach that wins and Marrone was a winner.  I like McDermott too.  McDermott also seems like a winner to me.

I don't see how people can blame Marrone for leaving.  Him and Whaley didn't get along and didn't share the same philosophy.   He was smart for leaving.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, napmaster said:

Marrone had a three-day out clause in his contract in the event of an ownership change.  So,

he could stay and deal with EJ as his QB, Whaley as his GM, and earn $4M

--OR--

he could leave, earn $4M, and likely get the Jets HC job and get paid another $5M. 

He would have been Doug Moron if he stayed.  Blame Whaley for giving him such an asinine out-clause.

Obviously... i would have run for the door...o wait he did too.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

He died on his sword to get raises and extensions for his staff? Is that the narrative? Yeah, he was a paragon of virtue. Believe what you want, no need to rehash history.

Congrats to Marrone and the Jags. Couldn’t happen to a more miserable prick.

Nothing like judging a man's character based on second hand accounts. Losers sit at home and complain. Winners go home with the prom queen.

4 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Nothing like judging a man's character based on second hand accounts. Losers sit at home and complain. Winners go home with the prom queen.

My account is directly from the people in that building. 

Honestly I like Doug. I thought the Bills had a shot with him at HC. I had a feeling when he left that he would rise up again.

That being said we got McDroughtKiller and Bean Dip and they also did an admiral job with what they walked into. So I never wanted Doug to bounce but my loyalty is in this new staff. So instead of think about what could of been with Doug I am more into what will be with our guys.

We made the Playoffs in a year the team dropped a lot of weight and made some trades. I seen "firesale" and "tank" thrown around and Coach still smashed the drought. Don't get caught thinking the grass is greener on the other side. 

I think McLegend is the result of learning from that mistake. They tried to make a splash with a big name Rex and drowned. Then they grabbed another potential up and coming and gave him all the power Doug wanted. I think they learned from that mistake.

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bills6969 said:

Could you blame him?  He had a GM that marched to the beat of his own drum and didn't listen to the head coach's opinion.  Whaley drafted EJ in 1st round, Dougie wasn't a fan.  Whaley traded up to draft Sammy, Dougie wasn't a fan.

Yeah, quite easily. He spent his time here preaching family and accountability to his players, then left in the dead of night looking for greener pastures for himself and his players found out in the media. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, KHAN said:

Moral of the story:

Coach in the AFC South, not the AFC East.

Marrone lucked into great defenses that he had no part in building, and his specialty, offense?

Meh....

You realize he also had the 6th ranked offense by yards and 5th by points right?