Glad we let Marrone walk...

bills6969

7 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Oh stop making **** up, and acting like they are facts. Marrone quit, because he is a coward. Doug Whaley has nothing to do with Marrone being a coward. 

actually, it is true.    I just posted similar in the    I've lost all of my Saint Doug hate...  

He was pissed about Sammy and EJ and having no power to do anything about it.   He also got into public arguing matches with the GM.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

It looks like at least for himself he made the right choice over the long haul by leaving here.  I mean I think he was kinda miserable here.

Still he definitely should have handled leaving better.  Maybe not the same scenario but it's like leaving your job giving 2 days notice and just texting everyone your decision.

Edited by Another Fan

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Matt one left for one reason and one reason only, money. He had the clause in his contract that if ownership changed he could leave without sacrificing any money. Marrone thought that he had the Jets job and tried to double dip. 

Why would he want the JETS job?   

If he thought the Buffalo media was bad and mean ......   

15 hours ago, bills6969 said:

Should of fired Whaley and brought in a new GM to keep Marrone happy.  Oh what could've been.

Would have meant no Rex disaster , no EJ or Taylor,  Schwartz still here , maybe draft a good QB , oh my. Hackett is doing good also , the energizer bunny guy.

So tired of hearing what a great coach Marrone is. Jaguars' roster is loaded thanks to David Caldwell and the additions they made last offseason (Campbell, Bouye).

Marrone was in the right place at the right time. Kudos to him for not being historically terrible.

Hell, I wouldn't doubt that Coughlin designs the game plans.

37 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Why would he want the JETS job?   

If he thought the Buffalo media was bad and mean ......   

He just wanted the money. He was going to get $4.5M (or something like that) and another $5M or so from the Jets. He would have been the highest paid coach in football.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

No it wasn't.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/10/13/16471004/buffalo-bills-doug-marrone-clarifies-stance-on-sammy-watkins-trade-2014-nfl-draft

While on a conference call with reporters in advance of this Sunday’s game between Marrone’s new club, the Jacksonville Jaguars, and Sammy Watkins’s new club, the Los Angeles Rams, the head coach tried to clarify his hesitance to embrace the deal at the time. Marrone said that it “wasn’t the player” that he was upset about, as he viewed Watkins as a “special player.” Instead, he said that he was upset about “giving up too much not knowing what [Buffalo’s] quarterback situation was.”

Bills Brass expected that EJ Manuel, 2013’s first round draft pick, would be the quarterback; however, Marrone obviously thought differently, as he benched Manuel four games into the 2014 season, replacing him with veteran Kyle Orton. This obvious disconnect between management and the coaching staff, combined with uncertainty regarding Buffalo’s ownership situation after the passing of founder Ralph C. Wilson, Jr., led to Marrone exercising a 4 million dollar buyout clause in his contract at the end of a 9-7 campaign.

http://www.businessinsider.com/doug-marrone-sammy-watkins-trade-2015-1

ESPN's Adam Schefter gives a good example of why Marrone was so frustrated with his lack of personnel power. According to Schefter, Marrone stormed out of the room after the team made the Sammy Watkins trade during the 2014 draft:

Marrone was not in favor of Buffalo surrendering a future first-round pick to the Cleveland Browns in a trade that did not involve a quarterback, sources said.

There are different accounts of exactly how unhappy Marrone was, with some sources recalling he stormed out of the room, and other sources simply saying he walked out of the room.

He lacked any power over personnel.   The entire handling of the EJ debacle started with him and his idiotic fast paced offense he only wanted to run with EJ a raw rookie.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He just wanted the money. He was going to get $4.5M (or something like that) and another $5M or so from the Jets. He would have been the highest paid coach in football.

You don't get both pay. The team has a right to recover money in that scenario. 

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/10/13/16471004/buffalo-bills-doug-marrone-clarifies-stance-on-sammy-watkins-trade-2014-nfl-draft

While on a conference call with reporters in advance of this Sunday’s game between Marrone’s new club, the Jacksonville Jaguars, and Sammy Watkins’s new club, the Los Angeles Rams, the head coach tried to clarify his hesitance to embrace the deal at the time. Marrone said that it “wasn’t the player” that he was upset about, as he viewed Watkins as a “special player.” Instead, he said that he was upset about “giving up too much not knowing what [Buffalo’s] quarterback situation was.”

Bills Brass expected that EJ Manuel, 2013’s first round draft pick, would be the quarterback; however, Marrone obviously thought differently, as he benched Manuel four games into the 2014 season, replacing him with veteran Kyle Orton. This obvious disconnect between management and the coaching staff, combined with uncertainty regarding Buffalo’s ownership situation after the passing of founder Ralph C. Wilson, Jr., led to Marrone exercising a 4 million dollar buyout clause in his contract at the end of a 9-7 campaign.

http://www.businessinsider.com/doug-marrone-sammy-watkins-trade-2015-1

ESPN's Adam Schefter gives a good example of why Marrone was so frustrated with his lack of personnel power. According to Schefter, Marrone stormed out of the room after the team made the Sammy Watkins trade during the 2014 draft:

Marrone was not in favor of Buffalo surrendering a future first-round pick to the Cleveland Browns in a trade that did not involve a quarterback, sources said.

There are different accounts of exactly how unhappy Marrone was, with some sources recalling he stormed out of the room, and other sources simply saying he walked out of the room.

He lacked any power over personnel.   The entire handling of the EJ debacle started with him and his idiotic fast paced offense he only wanted to run with EJ a raw rookie.  

Marrone was fine with EJ being the starting QB until EJ regressed throughout the 2014 offseason and was terrible in the preseason. I'm a huge Whaley critic, but Whaley was the one who acquired Orton. Then he acquired Taylor and Cassel the next offseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mattynh said:

Being honest here, I was disappointed when he decided to leave, I thought the team was going in the right direction.   But that is water that went under the bridge a long time ago, time to move on.

Whaley wanted his guy to be the starting QB, Maronne wanted nothing to to with EJ.    (tin foil hat time I think he wanted him to fail) 

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not as per the clause in his contract about an ownership transfer. He was allowed to leave without giving up anything if the team was sold while he was under contract.

Yeah maybe you are right. That makes the out clause even more stupid  than I originally thought. 

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Whaley wanted his guy to be the starting QB, Maronne wanted nothing to to with EJ.    (tin foil hat time I think he wanted him to fail) 

Whaley was the guy to let go if you can get in your time machine.   Part of what makes Marrone a decent coach is that he is willing to stand up for what he things is right. I am sure not always easy to get along with but he offered decent leadership.  He is also more conservative that I would like my coach to be.

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Marrone was fine with EJ being the starting QB until EJ regressed throughout the 2014 offseason and was terrible in the preseason. I'm a huge Whaley critic, but Whaley was the one who acquired Orton. Then he acquired Taylor and Cassel the next offseason. 

You want facts or do you just want to argue?  

4-6 as a rookie.  (Could have been 7 had the Browns not taken out his knee)  and the 19th ranked offense.   21 ppg 

Marrone benched him 4  games into the 2014 season with 2 wins 2 losses.  Yeah,  Marrone saw enough at him being 6-8?  

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/year/2013/seasontype/2

RK YDS YDS/G PASS P YDS/G RUSH R YDS/G PTS PTS/G
19 5410 338.1 3103 193.9 2307 144.2 339 21.2
26 5096 318.5 3614 225.9 1482 92.6 343 21.4

Marrone gave up a run game to go pass happy with Orton. 

The teams with over 120 rushing yards a game are usually on the winning side. 

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

EJ didn’t need help failing. He was a bad QB.

I was stating what I thought was the issue at hand and   I'm talking #s here not opinions.  B-)

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

You want facts or do you just want to argue?  

4-6 as a rookie.  (Could have been 7 had the Browns not taken out his knee)  and the 19th ranked offense.   21 ppg 

Marrone benched him 4  games into the 2014 season with 2 wins 2 losses.  Yeah,  Marrone saw enough at him being 6-8?  

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/year/2013/seasontype/2

RK YDS YDS/G PASS P YDS/G RUSH R YDS/G PTS PTS/G
19 5410 338.1 3103 193.9 2307 144.2 339 21.2
26 5096 318.5 3614 225.9 1482 92.6 343 21.4

Well if you're going to continue to be a sanctimonious dick then I'll keep arguing. Or I'll just move on.

Btw - these "facts" do nothing to refute my statement. But nice try.

• Sad 1