The reasons why the Bills will not change O Coordinator in offseason - Per WGR on-air discussion

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I know you agree with a lot of what I post, but IMO I think you take it to far  

Taylor has his faults but even I will limit my criticism of him 

Well IMO you have been playing both sides of the fence lately. 

IMO I take it just as far as the COT does in many of their posting about him. He is no mentor and is not a good bridge IMO.

COT wants him here another season and I want him gone, that's a big difference so either your on or off IMO.

Edited by xRUSHx

2 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Well IMO you have been playing both sides of the fence lately. 

IMO I take it just as far as the COT does in many of their posting about him. He is no mentor and is not a good bridge IMO.

"I play both sides" because I am critical of his faults, yet I recognize what good he had done.   

his faults outweigh the good imo 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

11 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

My answer is it is just my opinion on it. Why so serious?

Again just my opinion on it. They played bad, sure Lynn knowing the team had a bunch to do with it but IMO they went against McD and never showed up to show support for Tyrod in that LA game.

IMO Tyrod is not a mentor, Peterman looks horrible with Tyrod as his mentor. Just like CJ. After the first few INTs why didnt Tyrod go help Peterman in that LA game if he is such the mentor?

OK, so your opinion, without any evidence, is that Tyrod is a back-stabbing self-serving team saboteur, despite all the teammates who say he was a total professional through the whole thing and the fact that the Chargers have one of the best pass rushes in the league.  And you're willing to blare it to the world.

Frankly, that doesn't speak very well of what it takes for you to form an opinion.  Just my opinion.

I'm not going to go into the mentor question, my point is, if you want to slander someone and attack their character, you really better have something more to go on than a hunch.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, so your opinion, without any evidence, is that Tyrod is a back-stabbing self-serving team saboteur, despite all the teammates who say he was a total professional through the whole thing and the fact that the Chargers have one of the best pass rushes in the league.  And you're willing to blare it to the world.

Frankly, that doesn't speak very well of what it takes for you to form an opinion.  Just my opinion.

I'm not going to go into the mentor question, my point is, if you want to slander someone and attack their character, you really better have something more to go on than a hunch.

Slander? He does that all on his own, just look at his race interview from earlier in the season. 

Just my opinion on it that is all, never said anything as fact. 

I want a vet that is a good mentor.

I want better at QB.

I want a QB that teams don't laugh at because they made him be a QB.

I want a QB that doesn't blame race for his shortfalls.

Again IMO

11 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

"I play both sides" because I am critical of his faults, yet I recognize what good he had done.   

his faults outweigh the good imo 

If his faults outweigh the good why keep him? 

Talking him up is what helped him sticking around in 2017 IMO.

Edited by xRUSHx

7 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Slander? He does that all on his own, just look at his race interview from earlier in the season. 

Just my opinion on it that is all, never said anything as fact. 

I want a vet that is a good mentor.

I want better at QB.

I want a QB that teams don't laugh at because they made him be a QB.

I want a QB that doesn't blame race for his shortfalls.

Again IMO

I want a better QB as well.  I have no opinion on how Tyrod is as a mentor because I have no information on it.

But it's one thing to want those things, and another to assert your belief that Tyrod went around to his teammates pushing them to 1) sabotage Peterman 2) sabotage the team 3) throw the game, all so he could get back off the bench.  You have absolutely no evidence whatsoever this is true, and yet you're "sure" of it.  That is the essence of slander.

You really might want to re-think how you form opinions, and I say that with the most positive intent towards you.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I fundamentally disagree with this. The first Dolphins game was a classic case. The Bills mixed it up on offense in the first half, and he had 8 carries for 46 yards. He finished with 20 for 50. It happened in game after game (think the Chiefs game too) because whenever the Bills got a lead, they turtled and slammed McCoy into 8-man fronts repeatedly.  And just think of the second Miami game, where he had three highlight-reel level broken tackles just to make it back to the LOS on one play. Moreover, as Gunner Bill noted, the outside zone scheme is a bad fit for a guy that likes to bounce it outside. The inside zone scheme forces him to stay inside, which is what he needs. The Bills run game was both badly designed and badly play-called, particularly in second halves of games. 

PS: versus Atlanta, he started out with 15 carries for 77 yards. Turtle mode happens in the fourth, and he ends up with 20-76. It happened a LOT. 

I very much take into account that the Bills often turtled up on offense in the second half and that wasn't his fault.   But there were a few days where he just didn't look like the old McCoy.   Early in the season.  Then the last Dolphins game pre-injury being the most recent.  I believe the Chiefs game was another one where he was missing holes he'd normally blow thru.  He's still very good but it's pretty normal to get to this point with a RB and for it not to be blatantly evident on every play that they aren't as good......but for the numbers to suggest otherwise.  Despite all the wasted carries in Dennisons shell offense he was not as consistently explosive this year.  

But all that aside.........do you think McCoy is still a 300 carry RB?   He's not.   He has ended the past 3 regular seasons on a cart.   They need to get him into a rotation with another quality RB so they have him fresh in those moments they need him.   Or in the playoffs for that matter.  If he were healthy against the Jags I think he gets maybe another 30-40 yards on the ground.......there were opportunities a healthier McCoy takes advantage of. 

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I want a better QB as well.  I have no opinion on how Tyrod is as a mentor because I have no information on it.

But it's one thing to want those things, and another to assert your belief that Tyrod went around to his teammates pushing them to 1) sabotage Peterman 2) sabotage the team 3) throw the game, all so he could get back off the bench.  You have absolutely no evidence whatsoever this is true, and yet you're "sure" of it.  That is the essence of slander.

You really might want to re-think how you form opinions, and I say that with the most positive intent towards you.

Well thanks man I will try to make more of a effort to watch how I post things about him. I am not one to just say he sucks dump him even though it is how I feel.

As to what we were talking about I tend to look at him like when Mario was here only because the team responded heavily to Mario and IMO I feel the same has happened in the same type of cancer of team support of a player over a coach. Just my opinion on it and how I feel about that game.

It is a MB and we all talk about how we feel. When a fact comes up say it is fact but when opinion is up it is IMO.

Edited by xRUSHx

3 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

I unfortunately think Dennison is staying.

Even though I agree with you in saying it will be difficult to find a quality OC, I would still go after someone new.

Im done with Dennison. I don’t think the guy has it at all

Maybe he just needs to design plays but not call them situationally. 

1 minute ago, McBean said:

I've said it once and I'll say it again....a good QB fixes the "offensive coordinator" discussion.

Does it?  Green Bay just kicked out their OC

11 minutes ago, McBean said:

I've said it once and I'll say it again....a good QB fixes the "offensive coordinator" discussion.

True but it can also go the other way as well.

A great offensive minded coach can also fix a QB.

Just look at Pat Shurmer with Keenum and Sean Mcvay with Goff

28 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I very much take into account that the Bills often turtled up on offense in the second half and that wasn't his fault.   But there were a few days where he just didn't look like the old McCoy.   Early in the season.  Then the last Dolphins game pre-injury being the most recent.  I believe the Chiefs game was another one where he was missing holes he'd normally blow thru.  He's still very good but it's pretty normal to get to this point with a RB and for it not to be blatantly evident on every play that they aren't as good......but for the numbers to suggest otherwise.  Despite all the wasted carries in Dennisons shell offense he was not as consistently explosive this year.  

But all that aside.........do you think McCoy is still a 300 carry RB?   He's not.   He has ended the past 3 regular seasons on a cart.   They need to get him into a rotation with another quality RB so they have him fresh in those moments they need him.   Or in the playoffs for that matter.  If he were healthy against the Jags I think he gets maybe another 30-40 yards on the ground.......there were opportunities a healthier McCoy takes advantage of. 

I never thought he was a 300-carry back - he should be a 240-260 carry and 60 reception back -- and he definitely shouldn't be your grinder when you're managing a 21-13 lead late in the third quarter.  I'm stating the obvious here, but the thing a team needs to do with him is get a second good RB who can fill in while he takes breathers. The Bills did that in 2015-16, and the Eagles did it in 2014 with Sproles (5.8 ypc). Bryce Brown looked like that guy in 2013, but turned out to be a bust.  He has at least one elite season left in him and perhaps two if used properly. 

Re the Jags game, if not for Deonte Thompson's blindingly stupid hold (that defender had no chance at Shady), McCoy ends up with another 33 yards to his yard-from-scrimmage total - 148 in total on 23 touches, I believe. That's a helluva game for a guy in a walking boot earlier in the week.

Edited by dave mcbride

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Discussion on WGR arctually points to some valid reasons why a new OC is unlikely this offseason.  The primary points are:

• The QB situation is a complete unknown.  There is no guarantee the Bills land a top FA or a top prospect in the draft
  • No OC worth their salt is going to come to a team with the QB position that is that undetermined and clou8dy
  • The Bills can’t tip their hand on offensive and draft strategies to outside OC candidates.  They will not be able to say either way that they will aggressively pursue a QB either through FA or the draft. Even if they do, the Bills fate probably involves a willing partner in the situation.
  •  The WR corps is a mess.  So not only does the OC need to fix the QB role he would have to rebuild the WR position
  • Shady is getting old by NFL RB standards as are Incognito and Woods.  No guarantee that the ground game remains solid in Buffalo.  
  • McDermott is not a high profile coach who will “lift” the career of an OC that has his sights on a HC job
  • The Bills have talent gaps on both sides of the ball.  Which do they give priority to?  No OC will want to come in if the Bills state that their priority is to first address the gaps on the D side of the ball.

The more I think about the above the more it would seem that the Bills have a very weak hand when it comes to the idea of brining in a “known” entity at OC.  Maybe some “up and comer” takes a flier but even that seems unlikely given there are not a lot of tools in the toolbox to work with.

Thoughts?

With this criteria the majority of teams would never hire a new OC or DC.  This items are what most teams face.  

I expect they they will make a move at OC if they feel there is a better coach available, it’s that simple.  You don’t have to give away your draft board to interview anyone.  

I find the the comment about McD not being a high profile coach that can lift others careers to be most inaccurate.  He is the new hot coach.  Expect young bright minds to want to work for him.  

5 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Team has more than enough talent on offense.  The problem is QB, but we have a ton of assets to get something done there.

The trivialization of the WR position by the Bills and TBD is mind boggling to me. We have next to no talent there. 

Look at teams that have good QBs and who thier WRs are. Dalton has Sanuand AJ Green. Bill bellyache traded a #1 pick for a WR and he had Tom freakin' Brady ad his QB. It's the second most important position after QB.

If we get some fancy passing QB, we need to majorly upgrade the unit.

I thought when we had Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Hogan, and Goodwin we had figured it out. Now we are back to Coach Gailey era WRs.  

Hopefully with all these picks and cap room we can get some good WRs back in town.

We also need a real one two punch back up RB.

This team is sorely LAcking on offensive talent imho

Edited by reddogblitz

5 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

They also talked about how easy it is to send him packing.

A new OC could come in and literally pick his QB at will between a rookie or vet.

As of now I'm good with the first 5 picks being skill positions on offense. And go after Lotoluiiluollleee from Carolina along with a few other vets on defense. We need speed. Going back to Atlanta - you just can see we sucked at LB then. Alexadner is overrsted. Humber was meh. Milano is a backup. 

And we ride with Taylor and a rookie in 18. 

How about 3 of the first 5? I'd like a big DT and a fast MLB in there somewhere.

I say it again.  Keep TT and give him a wide out receiver and another RB.  Use the great draft choices on a QB to learn the system and the rest on linemen who are big and fast.  Great lines make winners.  Don't trade away draft choices .  Build with them.