Goodwin and Woods

Spiderweb

59 for 962 and 56 for 781 (approx)..  Goodwin seemed to have a pretty darned good year and Woods was very good for the Rams posse of WR's... Sure could have used some of that production and Goodwin's speed (17.2 per catch)...... Alas, we let

them both walk...

Just now, TigerJ said:

If they had stayed, they would have had 200 and 300 yards respectively.

"we need to surround Taylor with the weapons he needs to be successful not these scrub overpaid WRs!!!!"

I could imagine the argument 

See the source image

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

59 for 962 and 56 for 781 (approx)..  Goodwin seemed to have a pretty darned good year and Woods was very good for the Rams posse of WR's... Sure could have used some of that production and Goodwin's speed (17.2 per catch)...... Alas, we let

them both walk...

it would have required a big contract to keep Woods, we already had Watkins. I liked Woods but understood letting him go. Same with Goodwin, didn't earn his raise here. Front office makes a lot of blunders over the years, not sure how they could have kept these two. We would have an incredibly expensive WR group.

4 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

them both walk...

Goodwin spent his career here prepping for track and field. I believe this led to him not being in football  condition and getting hurt a lot. Plus he was noted to drop balls. I wish him nothing but luck, but his production here (or lack thereof) is as much his fault as the coaching staffs.

Woods on the other hand I blame on the coaching staffs. The guy has skill. Showed he had skill here. He was even a good blocker in the WR position and would have helped a lot this year. Unfortunately, the Rams paid him well. Again, no I'll will for the guy and hope he does well.

• Like (+1) 1

Goodwin was always hurt incredible deep threat though. Woods was heavily underutilized and always flashed sure hands and solid route running along with being a good blocker it's not surprising to me that either of these guys when getting steady amounts of targets are producing this well.

18 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

We couldn't see just how good they could be with Tyrod passing...

Speak for yourself. 

I always said Woods was the best WR on the roster. He blocks and runs great routes and has strong hands. He reminds me of Steve Smith a bit. 

Benjamin is a damn good WR so the Bills have that going for them. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m alittle surprised by Goodwin but not Woods... We all said Sammy was under used here, but I think it is pretty obvious we can’t get a good read on our WRs until we replace Tyrod. Sammy, Robert, Goodwin and Hogan is a real good group of guys we once had. 

7 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

Goodwin was always hurt incredible deep threat though. Woods was heavily underutilized and always flashed sure hands and solid route running along with being a good blocker it's not surprising to me that either of these guys when getting steady amounts of targets are producing this well.

Woods is a perfect fit with Goff.........Goff's money throw is that intermediate range and that's where Woods excels.   He was more versatile this year but backing off CB's with 4-5 strides and then snapping and in-route is his best work.  He'd have had a good year here as well but Tyrod is better with players who can do a lot of damage downfield.......which is why Watkins and Thompson have had better numbers with him than elsewhere.

Goodwin had the second best WR talent on the Bills during the Watkins years(yes better than Woods) even when most people thought he was a less durable TJ Graham.   Just didn't have the skill because he never worked on it.   First offseason actually working at becoming an NFL WR and he made the big leap with SF.   Bills loss but they couldn't risk paying him after getting played on his first contract.

31 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

them both walk...

WRs love having good QBs. They tend to produce when that is in place dont they???

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

I am happy for both of these guys (although I wish they were both on the Bills).

Both of these guys also had a lot of critics on this board.

Usually it's the people defending the bad QB play. They say everyone else is the problem... "It's the crappy receivers!" or "It's the crappy OC!" or "It's the crappy O-line!" or "It's the crappy coaching scheme!" 

But I'm happy for these guys, especially Woods. Granted paying him as much money as the Rams did wasn't going to happen, especially with our cap situation at the end of last season, but many guys slack off once they get paid. Woods didn't, and he exceeded expectations, helping a young QB grow & gain confidence in the process.

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Usually it's the people defending the bad QB play. They say everyone else is the problem... "It's the crappy receivers!" or "It's the crappy OC!" or "It's the crappy O-line!" or "It's the crappy coaching scheme!" 

But I'm happy for these guys, especially Woods. Granted paying him as much money as the Rams did wasn't going to happen, especially with our cap situation at the end of last season, but many guys slack off once they get paid. Woods didn't, and he exceeded expectations, helping a young QB grow & gain confidence in the process.

In the 15 games Woods and Watkins actually played together in 2015-16, Taylor's numbers were 63.6% comp. 8.25 YPA. 27 TD passes. 6 INTs

When Watkins was healthy in 2015, he caught 60 passes for 1,047 yds, 17.5 ypc, and 9 tds - this in only 13 games, and he was targeted better than with Goff.

Edited by grb