Rapaport: Expects Whaley to interview for GM job in GB

YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, Bill_with_it said:

Yup. To give him credt for the Mccoy trade is sad. He did nothing.

Yup. The GM of the team had no part in making a trade. Excellent, rational point. 

McBeane, trade away Sammy and Dareus, which are players at our two biggest weaknesses, have a 4 way tie at 9-7, & get a miracle to make the playoffs = genius!!!!

Whaley helps build a top 5 D, misses the playoffs at 9-7 = moron 

2 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

The NFL decided it was more important to get minority candidates in the coaching/GM interview pipeline despite the "Rooney Rule" stigma that might be attached to them. I'd guess that many of them who benefited from it could give a crap about what other people think, they've probably dealt with a helluva lot more difficult stuff, but I'm just a suburban white guy so really don't know a thing about it.

RTB

Mike Tomlin was a long shot candidate for Pittsburgh job, blew them away in an interview, & got the job because of the Rooney rule.

but Mike Mularkey deserves to get a 4th head coaching job. 

56 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Whaley was more of a middle man than a GM here. He is a huge reason for the drought. 

this is correct.  

In fact, since Donahoe, I truly believe that Levy, (Brandon), Nix, and Whaley were largely  middle-men for ownership, Brandon, Littman, Overdorf, etc to make the weighty decisions.  

Whaley played a role for sure in identifying talent, some roster structure stuff (shared with the coaches).  Organized his scouting and evaluation staff, etc... but this team was REALLY run by the wrong people for too long.  I don't feel bad for him.  Under Nix, he likely learned what was exactly expected of him and he went along with the opportunity, being well aware of the parameters

It seems like McDermott is finally the iceburg to break that up, along with Beane.  This team has been acting differently since last summer and it has been obvious.  Being more proactive, ripping the bandaid off (compare the Watkins vs Byrd situations), a nice trade-down in round 1.  Eating dead cap money, etc.  

Whaley certainly has a decent eye for talent, especially on the DEF-side.  He doesn't strike me as a guy who I would trust with the mode of my entire organization.  Seems very passive and relaxed.  Publicly seems very wishy-washy.  I would also be a little guarded based on his feuding with 2 coaches (which could have been a result of being a middle-man).  

He seems like a good guy, he will get a pretty good job somewhere before too long

Edited by May Day 10

I think Whaley deserves another shot.  I always thought his tenure was tainted by Nix (who really picked EJ), Overdorf, Brandon, Marrone, The Pegula's, and Rex.  Who was really in charge of what an when?

He made some nice trades and decent drafts.   The EJ pick and the trade up for Watkins are the big issues for me.  That and the bad contracts --- Who is really responsible for the Doug "out clause", the Dareus contract, the loss of home developed talent (Hogan, Woods, Gillisee). 

It appears Whaley did not have a good plan but there were so many people with their fingers in the pot. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Prove it. 

Was he the GM when the trade occured?

Yes he was. There isn't a GM in the league that would have picked up the phone and heard the words ... I'll give you shady for woods or alonso... and said no. 

So again... Shady fell in his lap. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yes he was. There isn't a GM in the league that would have picked up the phone and heard the words ... I'll give you shady for woods or alonso... and said no. 

So again Whaley got the Best player on the team here and didnt overpay. Just as i said. Thanks for confirmation 

Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

So again Whaley got the Best player on the team here and didnt overpay. Just as i said. Thanks for confirmation 

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Scott MAJ Bobby has some sort of weird infatuation with Whaley. Whaley literally didnt do anything. He actually asked Rex according MAJBobby’s own rumor article he posted.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

He might do well with a team that already has a great QB. Question is when it's time to find the next QB, can he come through? He seems to lack an eye for the most important piece.

Why do people even say this nonsense?  

He didn't draft EJ...and who cares even if he did, EVERY QB that year blows.  Then Rex wanted TT...and his 2 years with Whaley, TT was invited to the Pro Bowl twice, the Bills offense was the 2nd highest scoring 2 year period in Bills History, 2nd only to the SB runs first 2 years.  And also during that time, the Bills defense was one of the worst in the NFL and by far the biggest problem on this team.  

The things people blame on Whaley are comical at best.  The guy found a lot of talent in places no one thought he could, made some great trades, and was saddled with a terrible coaching staff thanks to the owners insisting on Rex...otherwise, he MOST LIKELY still has his job here had we had McD the whole time, or maybe even if Marrone had stayed.  

By far the absolute worst part of this organization was the Ryan brothers, who were NOT Whaley's choice to being with and the reason he got fired.  And this is from someone who initially loved the Rex Ryan hire and has since realized just how bad he and his brother were after watching them destroy our defense with over complicated crap.  

19 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Wouldn't be a bad move on the Packers' part; Whaley can help that defense.  He has an eye for defensive talent.  

Especially linebackers...  you are spot on.  Think about all his linebacker selections trades and FA pick ups starting around the league. 

Since the only thing GB likely needs to worry about at QB, is improving at back up, and he has a history of finding back up QBs ?... (unfortunately for a starting job) he might actually fit that team....

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why do people even say this nonsense?  

He didn't draft EJ...and who cares even if he did, EVERY QB that year blows.  Then Rex wanted TT...and his 2 years with Whaley, TT was invited to the Pro Bowl twice, the Bills offense was the 2nd highest scoring 2 year period in Bills History, 2nd only to the SB runs first 2 years.  And also during that time, the Bills defense was one of the worst in the NFL and by far the biggest problem on this team.  

The things people blame on Whaley are comical at best.  The guy found a lot of talent in places no one thought he could, made some great trades, and was saddled with a terrible coaching staff thanks to the owners insisting on Rex...otherwise, he MOST LIKELY still has his job here had we had McD the whole time, or maybe even if Marrone had stayed.  

By far the absolute worst part of this organization was the Ryan brothers, who were NOT Whaley's choice to being with and the reason he got fired.  And this is from someone who initially loved the Rex Ryan hire and has since realized just how bad he and his brother were after watching them destroy our defense with over complicated crap.  

I don't blame him for the EJ pick. I know that was still while Nix was in charge. However, to not take a swing on a list of guys the next few years, not being able to see EJ isn't close to franchise quality...that's where he struck out. I'm giving him credit for almost every other position. I don't hate Whaley like most.

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Especially linebackers...  you are spot on.  Think about all his linebacker selections trades and FA pick ups starting around the league. 

Since the only thing GB likely needs to worry about at QB, is improving at back up, and he has a history of finding back up QBs ?... (unfortunately for a starting job) he might actually fit that team....

Agree that QB was Whaley's glaring weakness.  But if reports were correct, that he had Deshaun Watson on his board, maybe Whaley started to figure it out...dunno.

2 hours ago, Bill_with_it said:

Two words are CAPITALIZED do uou know their meaning?

Philadelphia Eagles RUMORS: Kelly Asked For Robert Woods In LeSean McCoy Trade With Buffalo Bills?

“The Eagles [asked Buffalo] for EITHER Kiko Alonso or wide receiver Robert Woods, or both,"

Finally i love this part:

Bills GM Doug] Whaley hangs up the phone and goes back to Rex Ryan and says, 'It's Alonso or Woods...for McCoy.

SO YEAH WHALEY DONE LESS THAN NOTHING TO GET MCCOY.

Well, I’m glad Kiko left town before Woods did. Thanks Rex!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

I don't blame him for the EJ pick. I know that was still while Nix was in charge. However, to not take a swing on a list of guys the next few years, not being able to see EJ isn't close to franchise quality...that's where he struck out. I'm giving him credit for almost every other position. I don't hate Whaley like most.

My issue is this...he can't take a swing after bringing in a first round pick.  You need to develop him and also try and find some tools around him too.  So can't blame him for trying to work with EJ, especially after EJ showed some potential as a rookie, which people forget about.  

Then when Marrone didn't want to work with a young QB and wanted a Vet, he was forced to bring in Orton.  But that lasted one year, and Rex was hired and TT era began under Rex.  And again, it was the most production we had gotten our of our offense since the early SB years while the defense became a joke.  

So this whole notion that Whaley didn't get a QB really isnt fair.  Nix gave him a rookie...then Rex wanted TT and TT led offense turned around quickly despite TT having almost no weapons to throw too thanks to constant injuries to the WR's.  

Meanwhile, Whaley was improving talent in a number of places, making great trades, and finding gems everywhere on this team.  He was probably the single most under appreciated Bill in a long time IMO.  No GM is perfect, but his tenure was SUBSTANTIALLY more impacted by the Peg's insistence of hiring Rex than anything Whaley did wrong.  

11 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Agree that QB was Whaley's glaring weakness.  But if reports were correct, that he had Deshaun Watson on his board, maybe Whaley started to figure it out...dunno.

Lol- if Watson was in buffalo this board would have already labeled him an injury prone bust!!! 

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

GM while McCoy was traded for. The GM gets that credit sorry 

That’s the bottom line approach, which all kidding aside, I can truly respect. 

The bottom line line on Whaley is that he was a FAILURE as asst. GM and a FAILURE as GM.

No surprise that the team finally made the playoffs as soon as this chump was sent packing and all his signature moves were trashed. ROONEY RULE.

• Like (+1) 1