The End of the Nathan Peterman Era...

KingRex

19 minutes ago, grb said:

The dead-enders defending the Peterman decision have settled on one critical tactic : They seem to recognize the absurdity of benching Taylor for the Saints game alone, so the record of TNF versus the Jets must be rewritten at all cost. But there are these irksome problems to be expected when you try to substitute fiction for fact. First, the 4th quarter garbage time crap is as phony as three dollar bill. In the first-half of the Jets game Taylor was  11-14, 79% completion, 115 yrds, 8.21 ypa, and a TD pass. And - needless to say - no interceptions. Taylor didn't just play well in the Fourth, he played well the entire game. You might try any of accounts from Bills' sportswriter or commentators at the time for a second confirmation. Everyone said Taylor played well; you'll find no one to support your fiction....

I'm still waiting on the Tyrod can song. What would you say about the Panthers game? No one ever responded to that and I've brought it up so many times. Did we even score a touchdown against the Pats?

I don't hate the choice to see what we had in Tyrod. I don't hate the choice to see what we had in Peterman. I don't hate any choice anyone makes to improve the situation even if it doesn't work out. An error isn't an error until you refuse to correct it.

None of you guys ever take a risk and fail? Never fell off your bike after trying to do a trick or get rejected by a girl trying to see if you can get anywhere? Everything went perfect your whole life?

Edited by Lfod

11 minutes ago, grb said:

The dead-enders defending the Peterman decision have settled on one critical tactic : They seem to recognize the absurdity of benching Taylor for the Saints game alone, so the record of TNF versus the Jets must be rewritten at all cost. But there are these irksome problems to be expected when you try to substitute fiction for fact. First, the 4th quarter garbage time crap is as phony as a three dollar bill. In the first-half of the Jets game Taylor was  11-14, 79% completion, 115 yrds, 8.21 ypa, and a TD pass. And - needless to say - no interceptions. Taylor didn't just play well in the Fourth, he played well the entire game. You might try any of accounts from Bills' sportswriter or commentators at the time for a second confirmation. Everyone said Taylor played well; you'll find no one to support your fiction....

The eternal question : Dishonest or Delusional?

Taylor, First-half of the Jets game :  11-14, 79% completion, 115 yrds, 8.21 ypa, and a TD pass.

Also : No interceptions. 

Tyrod Taylors drives in the 1st half were:

PUNT 3 and out 1:40 drive

PUNT 5 and out 2:55 drive

TD 8 plays 3:16

PUNT 6 and out 3:35 drive

TURNOVER 8 and fumble 2:23 drive

If you think that equals success in the NFL then :thumbsup:, but I don't. QBs lead sustained drives. I like Tyrod, and at this moment he gives us the best chance to win, but he needs to extend drives.

Let's go to the 2nd half, only down 3 points, still in the game and we get the ball to start the half!

PUNT 3 and out 1:21 drive

PUNT 3 and out 1:20 drive

PUNT 3 and out 1:30 drive

FUMBLE 4 and out 1:44 drive

FUMBLE 5 and out 1:35 drive

TURNOVER ON DOWNS 3 and out 0:52 drive

TD 10 plays 2:26 drive

TD 7 plays 1:41 drive

38 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I'm still waiting on the Tyrod can song. What would you say about the Panthers game? No one ever responded to that and I've brought it up so many times. Did we even score a touchdown against the Pats?

I would say several things about the Panthers game :

• Taylor played poorly
  • Dennison bears a much larger responsibility for that offensive fiasco than for games later in the season
  • The Bills running backs gained 14 yards total ....... the entire freaking game
  • The Panthers didn't even bother to stack the box per NextGenStats
  • Taylor accounted for 80% of the running game, 90% of the total offense, 100% of the first downs
  • That game would have impossible in '16 (Dennison again)
  • Taylor ran a stereotypical Fourth Quarter Winning Drive - including overcoming a bogus offensive PI call - but :
  • Poor Zay Jones had no ball awareness. He could have ran the play thru and the pass would have dropped over his left shoulder. But by the time he located the pass, it was already overhead. That necessitated his clumsy stutter-step, leap straight up, and awkard play on the ball.
  • Did I mention Dennison?

Edited by grb

3 minutes ago, grb said:

I would say several things about the Panthers game :

• Taylor played poorly
  • Dennison bears a much larger responsibility for that offensive fiasco than for games later in the season
  • The Bills running backs gained 14 yards total ....... the entire freaking game
  • The Panthers didn't even bother to stack the box per NextGenStats
  • Taylor accounted for 80% of the running game, 90% of the total offense, 100% of the first downs
  • That game would have impossible in '16 (Dennison again)
  • Taylor ran a stereotypical Fourth Quarter Winning Drive - including overcoming a bogus offensive PI call - but :
  • Poor Zay Jones had no ball awareness. He could have ran the play thru and the pass would have dropped over his left shoulder. But by the time he located the pass, it was already overhead. That necessitated his clumsy stutter-step, leap straight up, and clumsy play on the ball.
  • Did I mention Dennison?

Ball awareness? :lol: How about Tyrod having WR awareness?

gxfPjkF.png0xB1vUF.png0xB1vUF.pngfRUzu2o.png

Edited by What a Tuel

5 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Peterman wasn't ready and was pathetic.......  Maybe one day he'll be ready, like Fales was vs. the Bills......

You guys are pathetic in your defense of the decision and his play......

Please point out the 2 good passes he threw and that 3 of the Ints weren't his fault.  I need that one again.

And Teef I'm not arguing, you don't listen to Simmons and I simply pointed out the conversation.  Isn't this thread about the two old coots on PTI making fun of Peterman and they know nothing either?

Here is your Bill Simmons....

simmons.mp3

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, cd1 said:

Sorry, late to this party BUT that statement above is about the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!

A rookie plays one half of a football game and is immediately deemed a BUST.

WIWWY

You need to pardon 26NateHater.  

Hes got an unatural issue with this kid.   

3 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Ball awareness? :lol: How about Tyrod having WR awareness?

gxfPjkF.png0xB1vUF.png0xB1vUF.pngfRUzu2o.png

Same may apply to grb.   

Both are on my ignore list and for good reason.  

23 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Tyrod Taylors drives in the 1st half were:

PUNT 3 and out 1:40 drive

PUNT 5 and out 2:55 drive

TD 8 plays 3:16

PUNT 6 and out 3:35 drive

TURNOVER 8 and fumble 2:23 drive

If you think that equals success in the NFL then :thumbsup:, but I don't. QBs lead sustained drives. I like Tyrod, and at this moment he gives us the best chance to win, but he needs to extend drives.

Let's go to the 2nd half, only down 3 points, still in the game and we get the ball to start the half!

PUNT 3 and out 1:21 drive

PUNT 3 and out 1:20 drive

PUNT 3 and out 1:30 drive

FUMBLE 4 and out 1:44 drive

FUMBLE 5 and out 1:35 drive

TURNOVER ON DOWNS 3 and out 0:52 drive

TD 10 plays 2:26 drive

TD 7 plays 1:41 drive

• Even when two drives heading for points are torpedoed by fumbles?
  • Even with 99 yards lost to penalties? This year the worst team in the NFL (Seattle) only averaged 83yds per game
  • Even with Taylor repeatedly having a pass rush in his face the very second he set to throw?

Let me emphasize this again : Go back and look at all accounts after the game and you'll find three common observations  : 

• Taylor played well
  • Taylor showed up - and a lot of Bills seemingly didn't
  • Taylor was under relentless pressure, because the o-line was awol.

No one is buying what you're selling. Go watch the game again....

Edited by grb

37 minutes ago, Luka said:

It wasn't a mistake, it was a calculated risk. NO ONE predicted that Peterman would throw 5 picks in the first half. Any other team with a QB playing as poorly as Tyrod was would've benched him. It's over and done with. Tyrod lost the Carolina and Cinci game which were just as important to the season and was absolutely miserable to watch in the Saints game. And he wasn't playing well enough to imagine him coming close to beating the Chargers. Not so much a bad idea, just a really bad result.

if you are not willing to make the same decision, knowing the outcome, then it is a mistake. mistakes happen...no need to refute them

e·ra
ˈirə,ˈerə/
noun
noun: era; plural noun: eras
  1. a long and distinct period of history with a particular feature or characteristic.
    "his death marked the end of an era"

..somehow, the Peterman ERA does not fit my Funk and Wagnalls definition (unless Peterman is dead; prolly so with the TBD "One & Done Gang")..and how the heck does the Peterman ERA morph into a TT discussion?..

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

18 minutes ago, grb said:

• Even when two drives heading for points are torpedoed by fumbles?
  • Even with 99 yards lost to penalties? This year the worst team in the NFL (Seattle) only averaged 83yds per game
  • Even with Taylor with a pass rush in his face the second he set to throw?

Let me emphasize this again : Go back and look at all accounts after the game and you'll find three common observations  : 

• Taylor played well
  • Taylor showed up - and a lot of Bills seemingly didn't
  • Taylor was under relentless pressure, because the o-line was awol.

No one is buying what you're selling. Go watch the game again....

If the offense had any penalties in the first half, it was one false start. Tyrod did take several sacks though which contributed to the 3 and outs.

Hey if you and the "experts" can look at those drives and say "That's an NFL QB" then all the power to you. To me QB's should be driving down the field and extending drives. Then the Saints game was confirmation that we were getting off track with consistent 3 and outs. 

Don't get me wrong the defense had a part to play in that awful 3 game streak, but just like Peterman giving the ball to the Chargers through picks, Tyrod was giving the ball to the Jets and Saints through punting and putting the defense right back on the field.

15 minutes ago, grb said:

You might want to actually watch the play. 

My account is correct.

No. The WR was running a route towards out of bounds. When Tyrod saw Zay, he saw the direction he was running, and threw it to the wrong shoulder. Zay Jones makes an incredible adjustment while running to even make it a catchable throw. 10% Zay Jones, 90% Tyrod Taylors fault.

Edited by What a Tuel

43 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

That was tongue in cheek immediately following the game (not this week) and they are laughing......  It is a classic Simmons take.......  How about the whole podcast, which I did listen to.....

It was not immediately after the game. It was a week and a half later after the Chiefs game that Tyrod won. Do yourself a favor and don't talk **** you don't know about. Do some research. 

And I also listened this week and it was a typical pathetic take on the Bills by a national media douchebag. I'm sure you agreed with every word.

38 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:
e·ra
ˈirə,ˈerə/
noun
noun: era; plural noun: eras
  1. a long and distinct period of history with a particular feature or characteristic.
    "his death marked the end of an era"

..somehow, the Peterman ERA does not fit my Funk and Wagnalls definition (unless Peterman is dead; prolly so with the TBD "One & Done Gang")..and how the heck does the Peterman ERA morph into a TT discussion?..

You are so right, the Chargers game was a Peterman START in the Taylor ERA. 

It morphed into a TT discussion because the Tyrod maniacs are so disgusted that McD could possibly bench their wonderful QB so the pitchforks came out. Even if said benching could have possibly fired up the QB to lead the team to the playoffs over the past 6 weeks. 

Edited by Bills Pimpin'

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's not based on just how he performed in the LAC game and a 5th round rookie QB cannot be a bust.  Pay attention. 

WOW - you are so darned impressive. 

A person with your abilities should be a god damn NFL scout.

/end sarcasm

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, cd1 said:

WOW - you are so darned impressive. 

A person with your abilities should be a god damn NFL scout.

/end sarcasm

It’s nice to see people call that hater out.

The guy thinks he is better and more knowledgeable than everyone because he is the king of copy and paste.  

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

It was not immediately after the game. It was a week and a half later after the Chiefs game that Tyrod won. Do yourself a favor and don't talk **** you don't know about. Do some research. 

And I also listened this week and it was a typical pathetic take on the Bills by a national media douchebag. I'm sure you agreed with every word.

You are so right, the Chargers game was a Peterman START in the Taylor ERA. 

It morphed into a TT discussion because the Tyrod maniacs are so disgusted that McD could possibly bench their wonderful QB so the pitchforks came out. Even if said benching could have possibly fired up the QB to lead the team to the playoffs over the past 6 weeks. 

It was not tongue in cheek?  Cousin Sal even mentions the tiebreaker.  But McDermott knew they'd win it?

Listen I am the one who said -7 would make the playoffs, but not 8-7-1.....

I also said back in November they'd probably meet Jax and definitely could win.

Boy I'm way off aren't I?

Edited by Billsfan1972

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

No. The WR was running a route towards out of bounds. When Tyrod saw Zay, he saw the direction he was running, and threw it to the wrong shoulder. Zay Jones makes an incredible adjustment while running to even make it a catchable throw. 10% Zay Jones, 90% Tyrod Taylors fault.

The one thing I didn't want to do is re-litigate that one play again, but here we are :

(1) Jones ran an atrocious route. Even assuming it a front pylon throw, Jones was shallowing-out by five or six yards, running right towards the sideline & into coverage.

(2) Taylor threw the ball inside, away from the cornerback and leading into the endzone. Now, there are two choices here : You can assume that's a coincidence & it was a slightly off-throw. Or you can assume it a conscious choice - throwing to the open spot and away from coverage. The second choice is certainly the way it appears, but I concede it can't be proved either way. Nor does it matter that much.

(3) Because : When you run sideline out, you turn and expect the ball in your hands. When you run forty yards downfield, it's expected you track and adjust to the ball. Jones didn't do that. He drifted towards the sideline on his strange mutant route, finally looked back, and was then panicked to discover the ball over his head. But even then ..... even after his weird little stutter-step and clumsy vertical leap .... the ball still grazed through his fingertips.

(4) So : The adjustment to pull the ball in over his left shoulder would have been microscopic. He didn't have to stop running and jump straight up; all he needed to do was know where the ball was before it was right overhead. NFL receivers do that every game when running long routes.

(5) It's not just that Watkins would have made that catch ten-of-ten times - or AJ Green, or Antonio Brown - it's that you would have never seen even the slightest hitch before they hauled it in. It would have looked smooth as silk. There is a reason pure speed doesn't automatically translate into a deep threat. Basic skills are also required.

(6) There's also a reason why Jones was all broken-up over the play - Why his teammates made such an ostentatious show supporting him. They all knew were the blame lay.

So should you.....

Edited by grb

3 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Hurry up and leave as you proclaimed in the other thread.  

I don’t know why you keep regurgitating the same nonsense about the Chargers game. 

Bills offense ranks 29th of 32 in case you have forgotten.     When your starting QBs sucks this bad, he gets the hook.  

Give it a rest already.    Coach was right.   You continue to be wrong.  

How exactly was Mcd right? 

Im not going to bash him for trying Peterman because TT wasn’t getting It done, but in hindsight the move to start Peterman was clearly wrong.

He even admitted he was wrong by going back to TT the next week

55 minutes ago, grb said:

The one thing I didn't want to do is re-litigate that one play again, but here we are :

(1) Jones ran an atrocious route. Even assuming it a front pylon throw, Jones was shallowing-out by five or six yards, running right towards the sideline & into coverage.

(2) Taylor threw the ball inside, away from the cornerback and leading into the endzone. Now, there are two choices here : You can assume that's a coincidence & it was a slightly off-throw. Or you can assume it a conscious choice - throwing to the open spot and away from coverage. The second choice is certainly the way it appears, but I concede it can't be proved either way. Nor does it matter that much.

(3) Because : When you run sideline out, you turn and expect the ball in your hands. When you run forty yards downfield, it's expected you track and adjust to the ball. Jones didn't do that. He drifted towards the sideline on his strange mutant route, finally looked back, and was then panicked to discover the ball over his head. But even then ..... even after his weird little stutter-step and clumsy vertical leap .... the ball still grazed through his fingertips.

(4) So : The adjustment to pull the ball in over his left shoulder would have been microscopic. He didn't have to stop running and jump straight up; all he needed to do was know where the ball was before it was right overhead. NFL receivers do that every game when running long routes.

(5) It's not just that Watkins would have made that catch ten-of-ten times - or AJ Green, or Antonio Brown - it's that you would have never seen even the slightest hitch before they hauled it in. It would have looked smooth as silk. There is a reason pure speed doesn't automatically translate into a deep threat. Basic skills are also required.

(6) There's also a reason why Jones was all broken-up over the play - Why his teammates made such an ostentatious show supporting him. They all knew were the blame lay.

So should you.....

In other words Tyrod threw to the wrong shoulder but you think it was the right call. Turns out it wasn't cause we lost the game. Tyrod makes the proper throw there and Jones walks into the endzone.

This is a theme with Tyrod where his WR's are constantly "adjusting to the ball" because of the inaccuracy.

Edited by What a Tuel

wow this thread is pathetic. i read the op and last page. i still can't believe on this date there is this crap taking up space. when tt is gone after this season hopefully the jockstrap sniffers will go with him. until then i hope he plays great and wish him and the team the best.

6 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

I am not writing off Peterman. I’m saying he wasn’t ready to be put in that chargers game.

And yes I understand your points but I don’t agree with the comparisons at all.

Here is why...

1. Ben has won 2 Super Bowls and is extremely accomplished. Therefore there is absolutely no concern about whether he should have started that bad game /whether he should start the rest of the season 

2. Peterman has accomplished nothing. When a 5th round rookie has a historically bad half in his first game, that tells me he wasn’t even close to being ready.

So ya people can look away when Ben has a bad game because he’s a very accomplished vet. There is absolutely no concern about whether he will bounce back or not.

People are going to have a harder time looking the other way when a 5th round rookie gets plugged into a game in which he had no business being in, and completely crapped the bed.

Do you not understand that massive difference?

I am not saying Peterman is a bust. I’m simply saying he is not ready yet, and he had no business playing that game.

I don’t think one person in Pittsburgh was calling for Landry jones to start against Jax, or after bens bad game.

If you don’t understand that, I really don’t know what to tell you lol

I appreciate the time you took to write this, and you're probably mostly correct. But it's irrelevant. I think that you think that I'm making arguments that I'm not making. 

My problem lies with the media and idiots around here and their hyperbolic hysterics about Peterman having the "worst game for a QB in NFL history", and then using it to somehow prop up the Tyrod Taylor and his totally useless passing offense. It's simply not true. 

I couldn't really care any less about Peterman. If he turns into the next Joe Montana, sweet. If he flames out and is a total bust, oh well that sucks. It's how the narrative is being spun around him to try and make Tyrod look good and McDermott look like the village idiot. The reality is that Taylor was sinking the team with his play and McDermott was 100% justified in making the switch. It was a desperation move, and I give him credit for having the guts to do it. 

The fact that you don't agree with the comparison really doesn't matter... because only two QBs in the NFL this year threw 5 INTs in a game. So that's the comparison. It's the only comparison for the 2017 season, because the two events actually happened. 

So, for the purposes of my contention -- that the media and #teamtyrod are pushing a lazy and intellectually void narrative -- Ben vs Peterman in their 5INT Throwdown is actually the perfect example of how they are basically fabricating the whole thing.

Peterman sucked against the Chargers. But it wasn't the "worst performance by a QB in NFL history", considering a Hall of Fame guy did the exact same thing just a few weeks prior. Ben's game probably wasn't the "worst performance by a QB in NFL history", either. But it was definitely worse than what Peterman did against the Chargers. That's all I'm saying. 

I don't really care about what that game means for Peterman and whether or not he's a bust. Only an idiot would write the kid off after one game. Now, if he goes out and throws up on his shoes like that a few more times, then yeah -- probably time to find another line of work. But I think he'll be ok and carve out a nice career for himself as a solid #2/fringe starter. 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

I appreciate the time you took to write this, and you're probably mostly correct. But it's irrelevant. I think that you think that I'm making arguments that I'm not making. 

My problem lies with the media and idiots around here and their hyperbolic hysterics about Peterman having the "worst game for a QB in NFL history", and then using it to somehow prop up the Tyrod Taylor and his totally useless passing offense. It's simply not true. 

I couldn't really care any less about Peterman. If he turns into the next Joe Montana, sweet. If he flames out and is a total bust, oh well that sucks. It's how the narrative is being spun around him to try and make Tyrod look good and McDermott look like the village idiot. The reality is that Taylor was sinking the team with his play and McDermott was 100% justified in making the switch. It was a desperation move, and I give him credit for having the guts to do it. 

The fact that you don't agree with the comparison really doesn't matter... because only two QBs in the NFL this year threw 5 INTs in a game. So that's the comparison. It's the only comparison for the 2017 season, because the two events actually happened. 

So, for the purposes of my contention -- that the media and #teamtyrod are pushing a lazy and intellectually void narrative -- Ben vs Peterman in their 5INT Throwdown is actually the perfect example of how they are basically fabricating the whole thing.

Peterman sucked against the Chargers. But it wasn't the "worst performance by a QB in NFL history", considering a Hall of Fame guy did the exact same thing just a few weeks prior. Ben's game probably wasn't the "worst performance by a QB in NFL history", either. But it was definitely worse than what Peterman did against the Chargers. That's all I'm saying. 

I don't really care about what that game means for Peterman and whether or not he's a bust. Only an idiot would write the kid off after one game. Now, if he goes out and throws up on his shoes like that a few more times, then yeah -- probably time to find another line of work. But I think he'll be ok and carve out a nice career for himself as a solid #2/fringe starter. 

I agree most of your points there, except the Big Ben comparison. We will just agree to disagree on that one haha.

But no, I can't say I blame Mcd for trying something different as TT was ineffective. But at the same time, it kind of was a head scratcher how he thought Peterman would be ready for a tough LA defence on the road.

It ended up being the wrong decision, but Bills weren't going to beat the Chargers with TT anyways.

In regards to Peterman, the odds are for sure stacked against him as he is a 5th round pick with a limited skill set, but you never know I guess.

10 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

How exactly was Mcd right? 

Im not going to bash him for trying Peterman because TT wasn’t getting It done, but in hindsight the move to start Peterman was clearly wrong.

He even admitted he was wrong by going back to TT the next week

Unless the move was a clear message to Taylor.  Play the QB position the way we game plan for it!!! 

On 1/2/2018 at 6:20 PM, buffalo2218 said:

Yeah starting Peterman really decresed the Bills chances of winning against a hot San Diego team on the road. Given how Taylor played against the Saints the week before, it's possible he could have been worse against the Chargers

Yep!

It looks to me like benching TT made him feel like a red-hot poker was just shoved up his backside and perhaps made him more afraid of losing his starting job over the fear of the opponents pass rush.

People forget that week 10 TT Saints performance of 9 of 18 for 56 yards, 1 INT, 2 sacks after 3/4 of the game with a 33.6 QBR. TT was benched and Peterman came in against a very good NO defense and went 7 of 10 for 79 yards, 1 TD with a QBR of 126.7 all in the fourth quarter.

It all started the week previous at the NYJets in which TT was sacked 7 times for 41 yards. That Jets game went thus- PUNT-PUNT-TD-PUNT-FUMBLE-PUNT-PUNT-PUNT-FUMBLE=FUMBLE-DOWNS-TD-TD. So, in looking back at the stats TT didn't look so that bad until you break down the drive charts and you see TT didn't do much until the last 2:32 of that game.

It's my take that MCD did the right thing at the right time. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/3/2018 at 12:18 PM, grb said:

Taylor played poorly against the Saints and was then benched.

He didn't just play poorly in that game.  He was atrocious.  It was as bad as the EJ performance in Houston that finally had him benched.  Now I said at the time I thought it was premature to go to Peterman.  My view was you ride it through that run of Chargers, Chiefs and Patriots and if you lose all 3 you are out then you turn the keys over to Peterman for the remainder of the year and see what you have (even though I personally always believed the answer was "not much"). 

It was a mistake and McD did a good job to turn things back around after that because the season could have spiralled quickly.  But as I have said before I think the combination of coaches "scheme arrogance" and the fact that having ammunition in this draft to get a QB created a sense of urgency (no that wouldn't be the word......... the word I'm looking for is................ "urgency") around seeing Peterman play.  

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He didn't just play poorly in that game.  He was atrocious.  It was as bad as the EJ performance in Houston that finally had him benched.  Now I said at the time I thought it was premature to go to Peterman.  My view was you ride it through that run of Chargers, Chiefs and Patriots and if you lose all 3 you are out then you turn the keys over to Peterman for the remainder of the year and see what you have (even though I personally always believed the answer was "not much"). 

It was a mistake and McD did a good job to turn things back around after that because the season could have spiralled quickly.  But as I have said before I think the combination of coaches "scheme arrogance" and the fact that having ammunition in this draft to get a QB created a sense of urgency (no that wouldn't be the word......... the word I'm looking for is................ "urgency") around seeing Peterman play.  

Incognito was on FS1 last night and he was asked about the Blizzard game as a turning point for the Bills never giving up.   

Taylor was injured and couldn't start  that game.  Nate played very well in "adverse" conditions until he was head butted on his dive.    Had that not happened and the Bills continued well on offense the Nate era might have begun then.     Joe Webb played OK in relief, but it was clear Nate is the #2 QB.    

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Unless the move was a clear message to Taylor.  Play the QB position the way we game plan for it!!! 

Lol I don’t know man. They were 5 and 4 in the middle of a playoff race. That wasn’t a time to “send a message “.

He just got the decision wrong. He of course thought Peterman would give their offence a boost

The real test for Sean McDermott came exactly when you probably figured it did—right after the Nathan Peterman debacle.

The Bills had cooled off after a hot start, losing by double-digits to the Jets and Saints in Weeks 9 and 10. Looking for a spark, the Buffalo coach benched Tyrod Taylor. He turned to Peterman, who promptly threw five picks in a little over two quarters. The Bills lost 54-24 to the Chargers. And everyone in the locker room was looking to see how McDermott would respond.

A lot of first-year head coaches wouldn’t have the way McDermott did. He buried his ego. He fell on the sword. As one vet laid it out, “He’d explained why he was benching Tyrod and promoting Nate. No one saw that coming into the (Charger) game. And after the game, he owned it with the team. We discussed and moved forward, united behind Tyrod and Coach.”

And it was over, just like that. Everyone else kept talking about it. The Bills didn’t.

“I just believe in being honest with my team, whether I’m right or wrong,” McDermott said from his office Wednesday night. “We all make mistakes. From a leadership standpoint, if I can try and communicate the best I can in sharing information I have with my team, then we’ll able to move forward. There’s also part of it, being vulnerable with my players, and being open, and being able to say, ‘Listen, if I made the wrong decision, I’ll admit it, and we’ll move on.’

On 1/2/2018 at 6:50 PM, PIZ said:

Heard a clip of Deon Sanders of all people the other day.  He talked about the benching of Tyrod for the Chargers game.  He said "why would you bench your QB when you're in contention".  This is not verbatim, but he said when he looked into it and talked to the players, he found out that it was justified, and the players thought it was needed.  He felt Tyrod needed that to look at his game and make adjustments.

I think TT has looked better since the Peterman start.  TT has even thrown a couple of quick passes leading the receiver.  

1 hour ago, billsfan11 said:

Lol I don’t know man. They were 5 and 4 in the middle of a playoff race. That wasn’t a time to “send a message “.

He just got the decision wrong. He of course thought Peterman would give their offence a boost

with 3 horrible games 

In one months time TT had a QB rating of  under 35, not once but twice  A message was desperately needed. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

with 3 horrible games 

In one months time TT had a QB rating of  under 35, not once but twice  A message was desperately needed. 

He was bad for sure, which is why he made the change.

I'm just saying I cant see him switching TT when they are in the middle of a playoff race just to send him a message.

Mcd is doing everything in his power to win that game at LA, and he obviously thought Peterman gave them a better chance to win. (Although that clearly wasn't the case)

On 1/3/2018 at 8:23 PM, What a Tuel said:

In other words Tyrod threw to the wrong shoulder but you think it was the right call. Turns out it wasn't cause we lost the game. Tyrod makes the proper throw there and Jones walks into the endzone.

This is a theme with Tyrod where his WR's are constantly "adjusting to the ball" because of the inaccuracy.

Really? Some points :

• If Taylor makes the throw you want then (a) it's into coverage, and (b) out of bounds at the five yard line. There is no "walking into the endzone" with the throw you want. There was easily "walking into the endzone" with the pass Taylor threw. Coincidence? I think not.
  • If Taylor makes the throw you want it's probably not even a completion. Jones was running right into coverage and out of bounds. One of the reporters (I think Sal Capaccio) was standing a few feet away on the sidelines and said he didn't think Jones had any chance given where he was taking the route.
  • Even if you don't believe Taylor was throwing towards the endzone and away from coverage (which is your right), you still have a big problem : Taylor's throw may have been slightly off, but no where near as off as Jones' route. Taylors throw was towards the pylon. Look at your own photos.
  • Even tho Jones' route was terrible, even tho Jones' play on the ball was embarrassing, the pass still went thru his fingertips. Makes you believe it would have been an easy catch if Jones wasn't in panic mode - being out of place with no idea where the ball was.
  • Real NFL receivers regular adjust to the ball on a long route. It's an elemental skill. Jones didn't realize where he was and he didn't track the ball.
Edited by grb

20 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

He was bad for sure, which is why he made the change.

I'm just saying I cant see him switching TT when they are in the middle of a playoff race just to send him a message.

Mcd is doing everything in his power to win that game at LA, and he obviously thought Peterman gave them a better chance to win. (Although that clearly wasn't the case)

It was a gamble, like many moves and or plays that fail in the NFL.  

The Million $ Q - Were we better because of it?   Not sure if we will ever know the full story.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

The Peterman Era? Newsflash guys. He hasn't had an "era" and he's still a rookie so his career is far from over. Also, we already know Tyrod is not the answer so why not give the rookie start one when your starter is playing poorly. I'm glad we made the playoffs, but my focus is on the future. I will be deeply disappointed if TT starts our next regular season game. Everyone seems to think all Nate did was that 1st half and they forget the game he won, even though he didn't finish or the other times he played well. He may never be a starter, but his story is nowhere near finished. It's so easy to look smart when you have only hindsight going for you.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

It was a gamble, like many moves and or plays that fail in the NFL.  

The Million $ Q - Were we better because of it?   Not sure if we will ever know the full story.  

For sure. I’m not going to criticize him too much for the decision.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/4/2018 at 7:50 AM, GunnerBill said:

I was in favor of benching Tyrod. Even though we would disagree at the time, I like the way you present your view. I think even though you thought it was premature and you were correct, that you could understand why the move was made even though you didn't like it. At least I get that impression. 

That's all I could ever ask for. Yes those in favor of starting Peterman at the time turned out to be wrong. I just feel people should have an understanding of why the move was made. That's the thing I think some people are missing. I just hope that people would keep an open mind and entertain the idea that it could of possibly turned out different.

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 2