Chiefs Sign CJ Spiller Yet Again

7 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

I get that you don't agree with my statement and I respect that. I have invited you multiple times to prove otherwise. 8 seasons 3451 yards is great to you but to me that's bad. Watching him gain no yardage on almost every play was bad. Never breaking a tackle and getting stuffed at the line was bad. He had great speed but never hit the hole to use it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

You said he was bad.  I clearly think he is not based on what he showed and his career 4.8 rushing average which was outstanding.  You seem to forget his injuries that hobbled him.  He tried to play on a high ankle sprain and never should have been hung out to dry like that.  

The guy showed that he was very good when used properly and not injured.  

I suspect that we can agree that, if Shady's ankle is injured the way we think it probably is, it will affect him as well.  That is the nature of the position.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

I still shake my head when I think about the Bills spending a valuable draft pick on him.

Wait!

Are you suggesting Earl Thomas, Jason Pierre-Paul, or Mike Iupati would have been better long term picks for this team?  They all went a few picks after we took CJ.  We could have had any of them. 

A bit down from there went Jerry Hughes.  Could have had him. 

We then took Torrel Troup with our 2nd pick just ahead of some Polish guy named Gronkowski.

I can only imagine some of the Kool Aid Drinking Lifers around here who defend all things "Bills"....supporting those draft picks at the time and playing the role of "nearly qualified NFL GM" from their keyboard.

:lol:

12 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Wait!

Are you suggesting Earl Thomas, Jason Pierre-Paul, or Mike Iupati would have been better long term picks for this team?  They all went a few picks after we took CJ.  We could have had any of them. 

A bit down from there went Jerry Hughes.  Could have had him. 

We then took Torrel Troup with our 2nd pick just ahead of some Polish guy named Gronkowski.

I can only imagine some of the Kool Aid Drinking Lifers around here who defend all things "Bills"....supporting those draft picks at the time and playing the role of "nearly qualified NFL GM" from their keyboard.

:lol:

The whole idea of taking a RB near the top of the draft is just so insane in the pass happy NFL.  To have done it so many times in the modern era is mind blowing.

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

NO. He wasn't. He was a specialty back. He couldn't carry the load over a season. He did it in one game, the night game in Buffalo he dominated.  But that's it. He never was someone other teamed planned around and was definitely something that we never planned around. He was a joke. He was just a dumbass dude who could run fast and be elusive. 

Couldn't agree more. When I think of CJ Spiller all I'll think of is east and west. Never seen a RB run so much for so little. I don't think you're going to see this new regime waste a 1st round pick on a wide receiver or running back again.

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

NO. He wasn't. He was a specialty back. He couldn't carry the load over a season. He did it in one game, the night game in Buffalo he dominated.  But that's it. He never was someone other teamed planned around and was definitely something that we never planned around. He was a joke. He was just a dumbass dude who could run fast and be elusive. 

was that necessary? Seemed like a pretty decent guy.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Um, he had over 1700 yards from scrimmage in 2012 and 1244 yards rushing. He definitely carried the load that year and was 6th in the league in yards from scrimmage. And again, his productivity per touch was off-the-charts good that season.

Yes and it was because he was a freakishly good athlete with speed.  That's it. No different than Vick, for example. That doesn't mean they're great football players. Some of those athletes are like bo Jackson and amazing football players too. But Spiller was not a better football player than he was athlete

14 minutes ago, klos63 said:

was that necessary? Seemed like a pretty decent guy.

Yes. Because he was and seems dumb as a box of bagels. 

9 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He was misused terribly by Hackett. Gailey was not a good head coach, but he knew how to use the offensive talent he had. Hackett treated him as an up-the-middle pounder. 

Good news for Bills the OC for first game in playoffs is Nathaniel Hackett.

10 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Think about high draft picks spent on RB’s during the drought:

McGahee - round #1 - pick 23

Lynch - round 1. - pick 12

Spiller - round 1 - pick 9

Not to mention that during this era Jackson and UDFA was also on the roster 

Why so much draft collateral an RB’s?  A waste in the modern era - a true waste.

Yuuup! He was drafted when we had Lynch and Jackson on the roster.

9 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Ironically the first two will likely at least be nominees for HoF. 

McGahee for HOF ????????

It wasn’t just a bad pick. 

If I remember correctly - we sprinted to the podium when it was our turn and made the pick with 9:45 of time left. 

Never seen that before or since...

Edited by Bakin

13 hours ago, Peter said:

I have no idea what happened with him and the Saints unless he lost his explosiveness due to his injuries or age.  It is just plain incorrect to call him "God awful."  

From what I read, he had a spectacular pre-season with the Chiefs and he was a surprise cut . . . until people realized that they had a young gem in Kareem Hunt.

Obviously Sean Payton is a terrible offensive coach.  

Isn't that the excuse with every flashy, overrated Bills draft pick who never lives up to expectations?

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Obviously Sean Payton is a terrible offensive coach.  

Isn't that the excuse with every flashy, overrated Bills draft pick who never lives up to expectations?

"Obviously" you are putting words in my mouth that I did not say.  You can argue with yourself.

On 1/2/2018 at 11:22 AM, BuffaloBill said:

Think about high draft picks spent on RB’s during the drought:

McGahee - round #1 - pick 23

Lynch - round 1. - pick 12

Spiller - round 1 - pick 9

Not to mention that during this era Jackson and UDFA was also on the roster 

Why so much draft collateral an RB’s?  A waste in the modern era - a true waste.

And wasn't maybe the best of the bunch, Travis Henry, a second round pick?

Spiller had a great deal of physical talent, but was mentally unfit for the NFL.  He simply didn't have the vision, instincts and football IQ to master a playbook.  It took him 4 years to play at a starter level under Chan.  He has been an absolute bust every where else in his career.  

Spiller's career will be defined as one flash in the pan season, gobs of potential and what ends up to be an overall uninspiring, if not bad career as an NFLer.  The Vince Young of RB's.