TD reversal: was Landry really OOB?

To me it's one of two things:

Either the conspiracies are correct, and someone (Kraft?) is paying him to screw the bills. Would definitely explain how two weeks in a row he's made a mind boggling calls to overturn touchdowns. 

Much more likely its Hochuli Syndrome. Give a guy the power to control games, and sometimes it gets the best of people. When big time replays go to him that change the course of the game, he makes decisions that make sure his mark is being left on it. Just like old Ed getting up there explaining an offensive holding penalty for 15 minutes while he describes how the trajectory of the moon and Saturn led him to believe Richie was holding someone on the play. Big egos in big moments in big time games, the league should identify these people and remove them. But we all know they won't. Just enjoy the win and a much deserved shot at the playoffs!

6 minutes ago, par73 said:

Football survived nicely without replay for several decades. Now, it has become a fiasco. Scale it back, or get rid of it altogether.

This season we've seen far too many calls overturned on inconclusive evidence. I don't remember that being a problem in the past with replay. Put the decision back in the hands of the referee, not some guy in a booth in NY. And let ANY play be reviewable, including penalties.

Just now, TDO'Kearney said:

No.  I'm still mad over "just give it to him".

I'm madder about the "tuck rule" game. 

And at the very least, they need to get this chump Riveron out of the loop.  What a crook.

I loved that, during the CBS pre game, they are showing the catch/no catch segment and no one had the balls to point out that every play they were discussing was against the Patriots and every call was in favor of the Patriots. They put it right in everyone's face but no one dared point it out.

9 hours ago, ThunderingHerd said:

The refs called it a fumble.  It was that guy in NY again.

Plus they never showed ANY video evidence that even was close to him being out of bounds or touching it etc.  these reviews from NY must stop

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I can't understand it.  It looked to me like a fumble since the ball was coming out just before his hand or knee landed.  Only explanation could be that he was on top of the defender who was out of bounds.  Again a ****ty interpretation of rules by an official in NYC undermines a great call on the field IMO

Can't be, right? If I have the ball and land on a defender I can get up and advance the ball as long as I haven't touched the turf.    

5 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

Was Jeff Triplette wasted yesterday?  Seems like every call and discussion he was having with his crew he was laughing.  Anybody else notice that?  I've never seen a ref act that way before for the whole game.

Or he was in in something he couldn't contain, like the cat who swallowed the canary.

8 hours ago, par73 said:

Football survived nicely without replay for several decades. Now, it has become a fiasco. Scale it back, or get rid of it altogether.

That's easy to say until you watch an obvious missed call and there's no replay review.

It needs to be standardized and IMO the league needs to quit hiding and come out and explain their calls.  The system is not set up for NYC to make inferences and that's what they are doing.  It's broke, fix it.

15 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

Was Jeff Triplette wasted yesterday?  Seems like every call and discussion he was having with his crew he was laughing.  Anybody else notice that?  I've never seen a ref act that way before for the whole game.

Yeah, started very early in the game, maybe a punt?  The cameras turned to him and he and his mates were smiling and damn near giggling.  Same reaction after the donnybrook.  Really odd.

8 hours ago, cba fan said:

If a defender is out of bounds and contacts an offensive player he is also considered out of bounds and down. Does anyone have vid of this play. TV never showed much.

Bills lost a fumble when that happened in Buffalo vs Giants I believe. Rex never challenged and if he would have Bills would have retained possession of ball. Cost them.

If this is the case defenders need to get one foot out whenever on sideline.

If this is really the rule the strategy of positioning yourself as a defender to have a foot OB would be fundamental and everyone would know about it inckuding the announcers you would think.  

23 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

I felt like a few times he was just laughing because of the sheer stupidity of the penalty. I also got the sense that they thought the entire game was silly—“ here I am stuck with the meaningless week 17 game.”

9 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

If the ruling is correct it needs to be changed.

Think about it for a minute.

Any player fumbling a ball along the sidelines does not need to recover it.

Just step or put you foot out and touch/swat the ball.

Tha has always been the case.  You can even catch a kickoff with one foot out of bounds and it makes the kickoff out of bounds.  

It was anothe very close play - it is what I suspected the outcome to be called - the one angle looks like as Landry’s shoulder hits the boundary he is still touching the ball.  Very close and would love to see some vids of it.

9 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I can't understand it.  It looked to me like a fumble since the ball was coming out just before his hand or knee landed.  Only explanation could be that he was on top of the defender who was out of bounds.  Again a ****ty interpretation of rules by an official in NYC undermines a great call on the field IMO

That was the call a fumble, but Landry touched the ball while out of bounds.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Yeah, started very early in the game, maybe a punt?  The cameras turned to him and he and his mates were smiling and damn near giggling.  Same reaction after the donnybrook.  Really odd.

Yeah it was just really weird, it really did seem like every call...I seriously questioned his mental state!:wacko:

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

Saw that too, we talked about it all game. 

Reminded me of a line from the Andrew Dice Clay movie Ford Fairlane: "Who was that smiling snapperhead?"

• Haha (+1) 1