Raiders Oficially Hire Jon Gruden as Next HC - Presser Scheduled for 1/9/18

26CornerBlitz

Oakland is preparing to pursue ESPN analyst Jon Gruden with an offer so strong it could even include an ownership stake in the Raiders, according to league sources.

Gruden will be tempted to accept it, according to sources, but would prefer not to make any decisions until the regular season finishes Sunday and the Raiders make a final determination on their current head coach, Jack Del Rio, who signed a contract extension last summer.

But Oakland long has appealed to Gruden for a variety of reasons. He would return to an organization he didn't want to leave in 2001, he would inherit a young quarterback in Derek Carr whom he feels strongly about, and he would get to coach a team that is slated to move in 2020 to Las Vegas, where he would not have to pay state tax, as he does now in Florida, where he currently lives. Gruden's contract even could be backloaded to pay him more in the Nevada years and lessen his tax burden during the Oakland ones.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Oakland is preparing to pursue ESPN analyst Jon Gruden with an offer so strong it could even include an ownership stake in the Raiders, according to league sources.

Gruden will be tempted to accept it, according to sources, but would prefer not to make any decisions until the regular season finishes Sunday and the Raiders make a final determination on their current head coach, Jack Del Rio, who signed a contract extension last summer.

But Oakland long has appealed to Gruden for a variety of reasons. He would return to an organization he didn't want to leave in 2001, he would inherit a young quarterback in Derek Carr whom he feels strongly about, and he would get to coach a team that is slated to move in 2020 to Las Vegas, where he would not have to pay state tax, as he does now in Florida, where he currently lives. Gruden's contract even could be backloaded to pay him more in the Nevada years and lessen his tax burden during the Oakland ones.

Honestly I wouldn't want Gruden. Never thought he was anything special. Won a Super Bowl with Dungy's team. Against a team he knew extremely well. 

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

...and incredibly stupid.

I feel like ALL coaches are eventually fired, what happens then.  "Yeah, sorry we ran you out of town, but hey you still own a piece of us, so what would you like the team to do now?" :D 

If I were an NFL owner, there would only be a tiny, tiny percentage of coaches that I would offer an ownership stake to, and Gruden is not one of them. 

I always thought Gruden was a pretty good coach but I don't really understand the crazy hype there seems to be around him. 

11 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Honestly I wouldn't want Gruden. Never thought he was anything special. Won a Super Bowl with Dungy's team. Against a team he knew extremely well. 

Agreed.  He WAS slightly above average with good timing.  The game, I am guessing, has past him by as a coach.  It's been a long time since he was on the sidelines

I just don’t understand.  Carr has a !@#$ing broken back. Why are people flipping out over their performance. I see no reason why the Raiders aren’t back to form next year with him healthy. Rio’s been a solid coach.  

This is just stupid.  They couldn’t get him out of Tampa fast enough as his players absolutely hated him.  

This is would be the Raiders version of doing something Billsy

1 hour ago, Strethor said:

Smoke being pushed by Gruden himself to spice up offers I bet.. 

Offers? No. He's looking for more network money if anything. Gruden has had many years to get back on the sideline...and he hasn't. The guy makes huge money to sit in the booth and give (terrible) takes on football. He doesn't have to deal with immature head case players, media scrutiny or fan bases anymore. He's coasting. I don't think we every see him on a sideline ever again.

• Like (+1) 1

That would make Cleveland look brilliant! 

Just now, Bad Things said:

You mean, like he's on a rotisserie?

They should add that to tanning beds. Wait, is there a patent yet for that yet?  Please disregard....