Raiders Oficially Hire Jon Gruden as Next HC - Presser Scheduled for 1/9/18

26CornerBlitz

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Hope it happens just for curiosity sake.

Dick Vermeil came back , I think Gruden can too.

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/state-with-no-income-tax-better-or-worse-1.aspx

WTH are these investigators completely clueless. 

36 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Schefter: Raiders prepared to make Gruden an offer that's 'difficult' to refuse (1:23)
Adam Schefter joins SportsCenter to discuss the likelihood of Jon Gruden leaving the broadcast booth to coach the Raiders.

WTH are these sportswriters completely clueless?    https://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/state-with-no-income-tax-better-or-worse-1.aspx

1 hour ago, RobH063 said:

There is no State income tax in Florida. There is a 6% sales tax. There is also no State income tax in Nevada but there is a 6.85% sales tax. The story is flawed.

I noticed this, as well. I think the "writer" meant to write California, where he would have to pay income tax for a couple of years before the team moves to Nevada. Regardless, this poor proofreading delegitimizes the entire article. 

7 hours ago, Doc said:

I don't know.  Maybe because he's not that good of a coach and has been out of the league for 10 years?

Such a lazy take doc.

I'm willing to bet there is no individual outside of the current NFL coaching ranks who is more plugged into the current pro football game than Gruden.  He spends his life looking at film.  He has college coaches, ex NFL coaches, college players, coordinators coming by his strip mall football lab year round seeking his insight.

He is right now a better option than guys like Hue Jackson ever were. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Such a lazy take doc.

I'm willing to bet there is no individual outside of the current NFL coaching ranks who is more plugged into the current pro football game than Gruden.  He spends his life looking at film.  He has college coaches, ex NFL coaches, college players, coordinators coming by his strip mall football lab year round seeking his insight.

He is right now a better option than guys like Hue Jackson ever were. 

Talk about a lazy take.  LOL!

Look, If "he's better than Hue Jackson" is your bar for offering part ownership to a guy like Gruden...

Just now, Doc said:

Talk about a lazy take.  LOL!

Look, If "he's better than Hue Jackson" is your bar for offering part ownership to a guy like Gruden...

It's not a bar--just the most egregious example of duds getting jobs over and over in the NFL.  Hue is still working and several here thought he would be a good option here.  Our last GM thought he would be a great choice for the Bills.

Anyway, your post still holds weakly.  The game hasn't passed him by--he's plugged in and up to date and his knowledge is in demand..  Saying otherwise is lazy repetition of clichéd takes of others.

...proof that the "acorn don't fall too far from the tree"......Al to Mark....over and out......Gruden is so overhyped that it's pathetically comical....maybe he hires Tirico as his OC......and Dungy as his DC, the same guy who prepped TB for Chuckie's Lombardi.....................

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's not a bar--just the most egregious example of duds getting jobs over and over in the NFL.  Hue is still working and several here thought he would be a good option here.  Our last GM thought he would be a great choice for the Bills.

Anyway, your post still holds weakly.  The game hasn't passed him by--he's plugged in and up to date and his knowledge is in demand..  Saying otherwise is lazy repetition of clichéd takes of others.

Believing that a guy who had a .541 winning percentage when he was coaching, over 10 years ago, deserves part ownership of a team because "he's better than a Hue Jackson" isn't lazy.  It's just silly.  That the Raiders are contemplating it speaks volumes. 

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Believing that a guy who had a .541 winning percentage when he was coaching, over 10 years ago, deserves part ownership of a team because "he's better than a Hue Jackson" isn't lazy.  It's just silly.  That the Raiders are contemplating it speaks volumes. 

Typical doc conflation/obfuscation.  Of course that's not what I said.

This is a discussion regarding whether he would be a fit HC.  Maybe they would use fractional ownership as a financial incentive (because that's all it would be) to lure him back to coaching.

There is zero football knowledge required to be "part owner" (or full owner for that matter) of an NFL team.  You obviously know this.

So why would you even make such a statement?

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Typical doc conflation/obfuscation.  Of course that's not what I said.

This is a discussion regarding whether he would be a fit HC.  Maybe they would use fractional ownership as a financial incentive (because that's all it would be) to lure him back to coaching.

There is zero football knowledge required to be "part owner" (or full owner for that matter) of an NFL team.  You obviously know this.

So why would you even make such a statement?

You said what you said.  Maybe you should have used a better example. 

And what are you not getting here?  He was barely above .500 when he was coaching (to put it in perspective, his winning percentage of .541 is barely above Del Rio's at .521)...and that was 10 years ago.  Just because he runs a dog-and-pony show and comments on games doesn't mean he can even pick up to his previous lackluster level.  To offer him part ownership?  Ridiculous. 

5 hours ago, Doc said:

You said what you said.  Maybe you should have used a better example. 

And what are you not getting here?  He was barely above .500 when he was coaching (to put it in perspective, his winning percentage of .541 is barely above Del Rio's at .521)...and that was 10 years ago.  Just because he runs a dog-and-pony show and comments on games doesn't mean he can even pick up to his previous lackluster level.  To offer him part ownership?  Ridiculous. 

He won a SB with a team that a HOF HC couldn't.   He took teams to the playoffs with QB Chris Simms/Greise, Jeff Garcia. What was Mularkey's accomplishment before he was promoted?  Marrone's?  Jeff Fisher got jobs.  Human mannequin Caldwell got a job (and fired again).  On and on the list goes.  These are the guys who were RECENTLY available...and hired.

Dog and pony show?  That's certainly not how those who have seen it describe it.  Why would you know better.

I said Hue Jackson still has a job and he is awful.  I said a guy like Gruden would be a better choice as HC.  You wouldn't argue otherwise.

10 years is meaningless, as by all accounts, he's kept up with the game.  Can you produce any informed opinion to dispute that (not your own.)?

And finally,  I'm not sure what you are hung up on....weather he should be hired as HC or weather, if hired, he should be offered an ownership sliver.  I think reasonable discussion can be had as to weather he would be the right HC for this team or that, but your hangup on the extra incentive package of "partial ownership" makes no sense.  Why would it be the "ridiculous" part of this story?  Many teams have small fractional owners.  As already discussed, the Dolphins have a bunch.  Was it "ridiculous" for them to sell a bit of the team to Serena Williams?  No of course not.  If they simply paid her with that same fraction of ownership to do promotional work for the team as compensation, would that be "ridiculous"?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He won a SB with a team that a HOF HC couldn't.   He took teams to the playoffs with QB Chris Simms/Greise, Jeff Garcia. What was Mularkey's accomplishment before he was promoted?  Marrone's?  Jeff Fisher got jobs.  Human mannequin Caldwell got a job (and fired again).  On and on the list goes.  These are the guys who were RECENTLY available...and hired.

Dog and pony show?  That's certainly not how those who have seen it describe it.  Why would you know better.

I said Hue Jackson still has a job and he is awful.  I said a guy like Gruden would be a better choice as HC.  You wouldn't argue otherwise.

10 years is meaningless, as by all accounts, he's kept up with the game.  Can you produce any informed opinion to dispute that (not your own.)?

And finally,  I'm not sure what you are hung up on....weather he should be hired as HC or weather, if hired, he should be offered an ownership sliver.  I think reasonable discussion can be had as to weather he would be the right HC for this team or that, but your hangup on the extra incentive package of "partial ownership" makes no sense.  Why would it be the "ridiculous" part of this story?  Many teams have small fractional owners.  As already discussed, the Dolphins have a bunch.  Was it "ridiculous" for them to sell a bit of the team to Serena Williams?  No of course not.  If they simply paid her with that same fraction of ownership to do promotional work for the team as compensation, would that be "ridiculous"?

Oh, I have no problem with him coming back to coaching.  It's the partial ownership offer I find ridiculous.  Again his winning percentage wasn't great and he won that SB primarily because he faced his old team (the one that's ready to make him part owner, no less) in it and knew their plays and audibles, probably better than they did. 

And it is a dog-and-pony show.  He loves everyone.  He even loved Manziel.